early goose/dove season

gunner-2

2 hours ago, brookie slayer said:

Still to hot for me and the dog....waiting for woodcock

Same here way to hot i hope it cools down by the time duck opens or i won't be going out opening day for ducks this kind of heat nothing will be moving anyway 

psilokan good luck with the dove hunt if it cools down before duck season i will be out for them too

42 minutes ago, genec said:

Gonna try for geese Friday morning off the Grand River.

Then later that morning put my hub blind out to get deer acclimated to it for deer season.

Good luck been seeing a lot of geese on the river i have to get my blind out to

Went out Friday morning - easiest goose hunting I've ever had!

I have 10 silhouette decoys that I made 10 years ago - set them out in a wheat stubble field near the river, and started calling when the river geese started calling.

I wanted some geese to make some goose jerky, so figured 3 would do me.  First flock rose up and came right to my calling & decoys - 2 shots: 2 geese.

Then all the rest of the river geese started up.   2 big flocks (30+ and 40+)came up and turned over my deeks, but too high for shot, I kept calling and both flocks came back - still too high.  After they moved on the smaller flock came back to my calling a third time, but still too high.

Then nothing else for a while, so I figured that was it for the morning, and started cleaning my 2.   A couple of minutes later I've got honking above me and I grabbed my gun and fired once and bagged another.  Decided that was enough, so back to cleaning.  I had all kinds of honking while I was doing the first two birds, but ignored it.  When I stood up to get my 3rd bird to clean I looked behind me at my deeks, and there are over 15 birds standing among my deeks looking at me!   Never flew when I walked over to get my last bird!.

After I finished cleaning the last one I still had 2 standing in the field near my deeks!  An unreal morning!

10 minutes ago, genec said:

I have 10 silhouette decoys that I made 10 years ago - set them out in a wheat stubble field near the river, and started calling when the river geese started calling.

I wanted some geese to make some goose jerky, so figured 3 would do me.  First flock rose up and came right to my calling & decoys - 2 shots: 2 geese.

Then all the rest of the river geese started up.   2 big flocks (30+ and 40+)came up and turned over my deeks, but too high for shot, I kept calling and both flocks came back - still too high.  After they moved on the smaller flock came back to my calling a third time, but still too high.

Then nothing else for a while, so I figured that was it for the morning, and started cleaning my 2.   A couple of minutes later I've got honking above me and I grabbed my gun and fired once and bagged another.  Decided that was enough, so back to cleaning.  I had all kinds of honking while I was doing the first two birds, but ignored it.  When I stood up to get my 3rd bird to clean I looked behind me at my deeks, and there are over 15 birds standing among my deeks looking at me!   Never flew when I walked over to get my last bird!.

After I finished cleaning the last one I still had 2 standing in the field near my deeks!  An unreal morning!

Good job genec ya there pretty easy but they get smart very fast congrats on a good hunt keep it up

I was debating making some silhouette dekes myself but figured the geese would be too smart for them.  However I think you just sold me on that idea.  Will have to try making some! 

32 minutes ago, psilokan said:

I was debating making some silhouette dekes myself but figured the geese would be too smart for them.  However I think you just sold me on that idea.  Will have to try making some! 

Yes psilokan they work well i use 30 silhouettes for land and put 12 floters in the creek almost always land in the silhouettes for every 12 i have i look out 5 sleepers and rest feeding inexpensive to make you can even put a few right along the shore makes things look very natural

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 8:13 AM, genec said:

Thanks for sharing your hunt. I'm heading into my first waterfowl season this year and have been looking forward to it for what seems like eternity. This got me even more pumped up. Congrats on a great early season hunt.

Archived