The Standard

smerchly

I assume some of us here get the St.Catharines Standard paper .....We have (had) a great young man delivering ours for years ,  always puts the little red flag up on the barn mailbox to let us know the paper is here .

Well , he delivered our last paper yesterday after about 5 years with us and said his paper route "no longer exists" as he put it... & he said they are doing away with all carrier delivery . We are paid ahead for another month so the paper will come via a delivery vehicle in a plastic bag & tossed in the driveway . The Standard  did not inform us via phone , letter or in their paper . Obviously they want people to read it on line and pay the given price. 

We will probably soon get a notice for renewal .....but I will not answer them ........After many years of supporting this paper they can  #&@*$% ....... plenty of other papers to read out there .  It seems P.R. in business both large ( google) and small has gone down the toilet lately .

Google has taken the liberty of not hosting pictures for uploading  my Picasa photos that I have been using to post here on NFN ....but I can send them through Gmail single or in a group easily . ....not in any hurry to change hosts , so unfortunately no more pics in posts or pms.....Any other still getting their paper by a paper boy/girl ?

That's what happens when the local paper gets bought out by a big outsider.  Look at a lot of the small local papers that disappeared this year. Closed by Torstar and PostMedia. Our little town news is not important enough for the big Toronto boys.

Exactly Bruce . Even our beer is not Canadian owned . This is called capitalism where the big fish win the prize . ....then set prices to their own taste ,  including lots of fake news .... 

I now read more on line from other countries including the U.S. papers like Fox .......  More people than ever get their "news" from tweets & face bookers . 

Today , an older lady pulled up at the curb in her car ,  got out & walked up the driveway to about 6' from the mail box ....and dropped the bagged paper on the driveway .....:wacko:.... adding more carbon foot prints to the delivery service  ? ...:dunno:  . 

EDIT .....

.....AND , another thing !!  .....We are paying carbon taxes , eco taxes , stewardship taxes on top of the gst (tax on a tax) .....

So now our paper boy has lost his job delivering papers by bike & foot  . The paper is now delivered by a gas burning vehicle to each house , and nicely bound  inside a plastic bag !  It's ok for business to ignore the "carb/footprint" while we pay the extra "fees". Nice eh ?  :huh:

Archived