Salmon spoon chucking rod/reel combo.

Tyler0420

Hey guy, for some reason I feel like buying another rod/reel combo. What are you guys using for chucking spoons for salmon? I’ve been using an 8’6” medium heavy rod and baitrunner reel for years and works great. I just want another set up. Probably looking for something 10’-11’ and even a baitcasting setup  maybe.  Should I be looking for something with a “fast tip” to get a good bend/load in the rod to get a good spoon launch? I’d like to use the rod for bottom bouncing also. 

Anyways let me know if you guys have any recommendations on rods and reels I’m open to any price range. Thanks  

I’m not certain, but I feel like if you’re casting 3/4oz spoons or heavier mostly, the baitcaster might be able to outcast the spinning reel. Your best bet would be a musky or full size baitcaster, I use an abu Garcia ambassador that’s pretty nice. With 15 or 20 lb braid you should be able to haul that thing. Not sure you’d want to be casting a 10-11’ rod all night, and baitcaster in the dark is a bit harder to deal with.

100% baitcaster if your goal is chucking spoons for salmon. I find 9' to be perfect and I have a selection of longer casting rods I could pick from, they just seem to long for that application and you lose the feel. I have the old Loomis canada GL2 blanks for this which are perfect. Also tried St Croix Avids which are almost as nice IMO. Lamiglas specialized in these type of rods and was very nice too if you can find a retailer. If your like me and prefer the lighter flutter spoons than a good reel goes a long way. I use a Calcuuta TE DC and wouldnt give it up.

Archived