Carpin d'Gibb

smerchly

? On the road again ?.... De-molded the carp gear today , thawed out some old maize & headed to Gibby . First 2 spots were occupied so found a new spot with overhanging trees for shade . A few carp were jumping & one was cruising by 4 ft. from shore . Got to satisfy my itch with 2 carp but lost one due to a poor hook set on the hair rig . Packed up for home after 2 hrs. , right after the second fish was  netted ....only about 6-7 lbs. but a scrappy scrapper !  It was getting HOT out there !  Checked the other anglers out but nothing caught yet .... Felt great to get back in the groove again !   :Gonefishing:

thanks Tony...........................................................poor man's salmon ........................................................  :)

Had another go at Gibby today ,  after 2.5 hours , not a touch .

Something was eating my corn !!   :dunno:

Alas ....  after hearing a little crunching at my feet ........

this shrew was having lunch on the smerch !   

shrew.JPG

6 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Hey, thanks Smerch.   I've always wanted to see 'The Taming of the Shrew!"

Just call me Petruchio  Mike .  ?  That fat little shrew would sneak up on the corn then quickly grab one kernel at a time and dart quickly under a rock . It's nose would almost vibrate as it approached the corn . I left an apple core for dessert  !   They may be small , but can be a very formidable hunter !  

That carp spot isn't producing much this year .

Yes Mike ,  can't figure those carp out . It's about 15' deep there with a good current  (1.5oz)and has always been a productive spot . About 300 meters from there (downstream) , same depth with more current (2oz), I have been catching them . ...one or two per hr. average.  Got my eye on a new spot downstream about 300 meters . that looks appetizing . ....or should I say "appealing"  B) 

Tried a new thing with the hair rig / egg sinker (2 oz) .....added a split shot 1" from the egg sinker to make it a bolt rig ....will try this again next trip...seems like a quick easy  rig conversion .   :Gonefishing: 

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped by at my local tackle shop to buy a doz. worms ....nice fat ones !   I asked the young guy if they had those carp ring a ding things & he reached for a "Monster" brand carp signal indicator that screw into the telescopic rod stand ....easy to set up with many settings ....loud enough to wake me from a dead sleep .

Now I can catch a few winks when the fish are being picky ....all set to give it a go very soon . I may not catch more fish , and I'll lose some sleep ....a fair trade off  ...:)

50 minutes ago, DNorton said:

Let me know how they work. Was thinking of trying one out but wasn’t sure. 

I'll give the beeper a try tomorrow,  ? a.m.,  at Gibby ....winds from the S.W. , need to find a little shade for sure . 

Got another pail of maize corn in the pail for 24 -30 hrs .to fatten up before I heat it on the bunsen  burner .....

Well you at you embracing the technology, Smerch!  lol  

Those bite alarms are a lot cheaper now that Carp Zoom is making/importing( ? )them.  Nice how they just screw on to any carp pod as they make them all standard.

To me, the bite alarm has the same excitement as watching a bobber dip.  Good luck and may you get a screaming run before you can say "fish on!"

PS...I had an uneventful day on Hamilton Harbour yesterday.  Saw a few good ones do the 'head n shoulders' thing above my bait and I thought I was gonna be in the game, but other than the occasional beep, my cousin and I had nothing to show for our efforts.  :o(   

The algae was pretty thick but it looked to me like it was the regular green algae and not the blue/green variety.  

Anyhoo, we'll give it a go at another spot on the harbour tomorrow( if the thunderstorms clear through and let us ).

Cheers!

Going nuts with high tech Mike !  If the carp keep hiding , I'll invest in an underwater drone !

Returned from Gibby ...rain started to get heavier , left after  an hour  . The alarm works great !  There's some current there (12-14')  & the alarm made a few beeps when floating weeds caught the line ....handy to get a beep and clear the line .  The wind picked up & alarm  caused an adrenaline  rush ....nice to be able to set the sensitivity for such conditions .

The fish are not interested in my maize or the puffed corn ....saw one surface way beyond my bait . 

Good luck tomorrow ,   I hope the thunder doesn't spook them ....but they gotta eat sometime !!   ?  

Archived