Labour Day weekend carping

Mike Pike

SATURDAY

My cousin Dan and I planned to hit Hamilton Harbour Saturday morning and start our Labour Day Weekend with a bang.  He hadn't fished for over a year and was pretty stoked to feel a bend in the rod.  I told him how I like to be set up, with rods out and coffee in hand, by 6:00 am because if we don't end up catching any fish, at least we can enjoy a sweet sunrise. 

I think you have to be from da Hammer, though, to really appreciate the beauty of a sunrise over the steel mills.

Steel Mill Sunrise.jpg

With very little wind, the bay was flat calm and hazy.  I saw one nice fish head and shoulder right above our baited area and I thought we were in!  But the morning drew on with very little to get us excited about, other than an occasional beep on my bite alarm.  

We marveled at the other folks who had come down to the harbour this morning with considerably more energy than us.

Dragon Boat.jpg

Dan commented that he would never do something so strenuous in that heat.  Then we both realized we would never do something so strenuous.....the end.  lol

There was a huge algae bloom that rolled in, but it looked like green algae to me and not the blue-green algae I fear.  We continued fishing until the wind picked up( and dispersed the algae )but everything remained quiet, with even the bite alarm going silent.  It was Miller time.

MONDAY

Out we headed, again, to a different spot on the harbour with hopes of different results.  I was concerned with the forecast, which called for thunderstorms, but they were anticipated in the afternoon, so I hoped we had a window.

Once again, we got to enjoy a spectacular sunrise.

Sunrise.jpg

Well, red sky in morning, sailors take warning.  Weather was on the way, so let's get fishing!

And fish we did, with Dan opening his account with a lively 8 1/2 lbs carp, which had him buzzing after his year long fishing drought.  He was ledgering his offering of maize fairly close to the pier, while I was fishing a method ball about 30 to 35 yards out. 

Dan had my number, though, and shortly afterwards, bested another carp; this one a little fatty of 11lbs.  I wish I could show them to you but he doesn't like doing the fish pose thing and was happy taking a few photos of his catches on the mat.

Finally, my rod was away and I leaned into a nice fish that kited away straight for the snaggy shore to my right.  Although I began to hand palm the spool in an effort to tighten the drag, it still found a buoy line to wrap itself around!  This was the same buoy that a carp I battled a few weeks ago found and used to make its escape.  AAARGHHHH!!!!

The only thing I could think to do was maintain pressure and just hope that I had kept it from taking too much line and there was a chance it would eventually exit the way it entered.

Success!  And after a good scrap, in to Dan's waiting net it went.

19 lbs.jpg

At 19lbs, I was well please, especially after getting a chance to exact my revenge on that dastardly buoy that  helped a carp escape several weeks ago. 

I was also well pleased that we were able to enjoy a morning catching carp before the foul weather rolled in.  It's mid afternoon right now as I'm typing this and the day has almost turned to night as the sky has opened up, and the wind and rain is making it look the end times!!!  Wow!

I hope sailors took warning!

Nice going Mike ,  happy to see you exacted  your revenge on that buoy ,  and big girl !  The water behind you looks clear ....a nice green hue , or is that the algae ?  What is the depth there ? I need all the help I can get !  :read:

I left my new batch of maize outside in the big pot last night , and it was still warm this morning . It is over a year old and it expanded very nicely . You have given me some encouragement to give it another go verrry soon !  I have been leaving after 2 hours average if the carp have lip lock . I'll have to be more patient  , take my radio or play solitaire , my phone is only a c & r (call & receive)  .

Cooler times ahead Mike ....this thin skinned old guy really feels the heat so I go to shaded spots . Hoping to break the 20# barrier soon !   Cheers !

Hey, thank guys.

The water directly behind me is only about 6 to 8 feet deep, Smerch, and the vis was 2 to 3 feet with no appreciable algae bloom at this spot.  

Your next purchase should be a proper carp umbrella, Smerch.  I never go carping without it.  Us old guys can't handle the sun like we used to, eh, so taking 'portable shade' with me really helps me enjoy the day.  

I have a couple of beach umbrellas I could strap to my back  .  I Utubed some fishing umbrellas & found one that has a cot  .... catch a few winks until the alarm goes off ....perfect !

Heading out for a carp gig tomorrow morning .....good north east wind , perfect for Jordan !   Hoping the christen my new beeper , best place to get those plus 20# ers.

Edit

Well, as the story goes ..." Should have been here yesterday" !!  I usually don't fish weekends , took a chance but my usual spot was crowded , so I tried the shallows ,about 4'deep ....notta sniff . After 2 hrs. headed to Gib. to try my luck with the "new" maize and  my newly acquired state of the art electronic beeper in deeper waters ....had one "bump" !   It was a 2 beeper !  ?  then,  Fssst ...it was gone ... :(  Only thing to show was an adrenaline rush , anticipation and heart palpitations !       As they say ....it's not catching ,  it's called fishing !   ..:Gonefishing:

.?

• 2 weeks later...

Well Mike , I had another brain ftttt . I tried posting a pic.yesterday but had to keep resizing until I lost the whole post . Will try the smaller pic. today..

I watered part of my lawn that died off ,then picked a few doz. worms last night ....got to thinking the veggie carp might like some fresh meat !  They have been too picky lately !  So I  went to Google & found some info ,  using worms on a hair , or on a hook(s) . I will give it a shot now that the arctic air is upon us .  :Gonefishing:

....oh yes....have you tried that carp jerky yet ?  ;)

....finally ....had to downsize the web picture to 20% ! 

Worm rig.jpg

It's worth a try Mike , but I fear the gobies will bring in the troops and eat those worms in a N.Y. minute !  I have a sharp knife , maybe cut up some plastic worms or mix them up !  ( getting desperate) ! I would try the carp jerky ...cold turkey !  I have eaten smoked eel when I was a daring teenager and it was very good !  Time to give the carp another go ..they need to put on the fat now . 

Ya, that presentation wouldn't last a second here in Hammy Harbour because of the gobies.  It's why we need to use moderately hard maize instead of sweetcorn.

Smoked eel is one of my favourite choices when I go to Sushi restaurants, Smerch!  And hey, if I can eat escargots, why not carp jerky!!  lol 

My latest maize turned out nice & plump with some hemp enhancement ...heard they like the odor .  The gobies will nibble at it but it stays put quite nicely .  They don't seem to bother the puffed corn much , but I check it every 20 minutes & of course it comes off since it turns to mush  ...and floats .  It was one of Lorne's favourite baits . 

You can have the snails & sushi & clams Mike , I'll stick with my haddock & chips,  & of course ,  our local eyes & perch .  ?

Yup, Lorne could work some magic with puffs, eh.  I've never tried it myself.  I mostly stick to maize( with a floater kernel ), and occasionally bollie pop-ups.

Love the traditional fish and chips too, Smerch, don't get me wrong.  But it has to be dipped fresh into batter and fried upon ordering.  I hate when some places served you the frozen stuff and just heat it up.   

When using the puffs , you can adjust them to float 1" or 6" from bottom by using a split shot on the leader . Sometimes the bottom is thick with algae/moss and the bait gets buried into it .  It can be used on the hair  or the hook & I check it out in the shallow shore water before casting out .

Mike , I have some floating corn (yellow and green) and I'm not sure where to put the floating corn with the maize on the hair ? ....closest to the hook or lastly ?

I’ve always had luck with using the floating corn closest to the hook Smerch. Tried it by the hair stop and no luck. Could be coincidence or just not enough times out with it but I’m superstitious anymore I’ve had the fewest caught fish this season in all my seasons I’ve fished. Maybe it’s because of work and family time I’m not fishing as much but when I do get out it’s a rarity to pull something in. ?   

Thanks ...I also think the floater corn would help elevate the hook a tad with the 2 or 3 maize kernels near the stopper . Sometimes I lose a couple of pieces of maize & the floater would still be intact since it is firm and tightly on the hair.

I have done less carping this year due to the heat and the carp's poor appetite (who can eat much in that heat) ??  I was thinking about going out today but had to enclose a newly seeded (grass) garden because the  %@#&*# squirrels keep digging it up !  :angry: Squirrel stew sounding better every day !! :smiley_campfire-1:

Looks like a wet week but I hope to get out between rain drops to check out a few carp spots that have not been good this year . Maybe strap my wife's umbrella to my back ! Let us know if you have some luck Nort .  :Gonefishing:

Sorry to join the conversation late, but I always put the floater corn on top( next to the stopper ).  Sounds like it's opposite to what you guys prefer.  I think it's just a confidence thing with me, as this is the way I've always done it and it's hooked me fish.  Would I have hooked more doing it the other way?  I can't say for sure.  Kinda why we keep doing this fishing thing, I guess.

Goodluck if you guys head out.  Let's see some pics of some crackers!!  I've got a busy weekend ahead, but I'm hoping to get a few hours out on the bank as well.  

Maybe I'll try the floater in the middle  ....really confuse the carp !  It may not matter to them if they're on the bite . Yes ...it's called fishing for a reason and I like to experiment with my own baits and rigs .  I have a worm rig ready to try ....like a hair rig with a small "stinger" hook on the hair which should help keep the worm chowder from slipping from the "hair" .  Using an egg sinker will help detect the sniffers or sneaky gobies  from robbing me . Some spots with mud/sand bottoms shouldn't plague me with gobies . I want to give worms a workout to see what other fish might be caught .  I'll surely post the results of my trial run ....and I'll have a bag of maize with me ,  just in case ......  

#fishrus

Got out yesterday and tried for about 2 to 3 hours until dark with no luck. Couple of bumps to get my heart racing but nothing else. As frustrated as I was it was still nice to sit by the water alone and decompress from work. 

Archived