Carp Reels

smerchly

I have only used spinning reels for carp .  The rear drag is a pole saver and alarm clock !! My spare reel is a Symetre 4000 which can easily handle the big ones but the drag must be set loose for those wham bam hits ....

I am thinking about buying a casting reel such as "Hammercarp"  used for carp fishing . Lorne used an Ambassador reel which could cast a good distance, had a good drag and the "clicker"  was a built in alarm .

Anyone here use a casting reel for carp ?   It would be strange for me to use one since I have been using spinning reels for 65 years ....here's an e.g. .....

https://www.amazon.ca/Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-Round-17-Pound/dp/B00EUWYAA0/ref=asc_df_B00EUWYAA0/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292950491230&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14683688250477426069&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1002356&hvtargid=pla-493524756903&psc=1

Those are cool! I’ve toyed with the idea of trying one out time to time but I can’t bring myself to do it. New things scare me. Fly fishing was hard enough to get into lol. I love my okuma avengers got a 90 and a 40. 90 is my on my surf setup for Florida but I’m changing it into a spodding rod I think since it can handle the heavy weight. 

Thats what I run too Bill, same reel on an old downrigger rod. I get good distance and it has handled the little guys I've managed to catch so far! Bought Gaza a dedicated carp setup but don't have one for myself yet?!?!

And I should have mentioned the type of line used for both reels ....mono or braid .I have had some line twists with mono , but it handles the head shakes nicer , I believe....I have used a livelier rod with braid to help cushion the shock which  can rip the hook from the carp's mouth . 

Back in "the day"  we used "level wind" reels with 20 lb. black nylon /dacron . The "drag" was your thumb ....But we landed many carp on those simple reels ! The modern bait casters today are much more advanced . When a great carper like Lorne Morley used one , it peeks my interest . I have a few of the old reels which can now be spooled with the thinner braid lines (more capacity) ,just need a proper rod to match it . 

Being right handed , I have always used a right hand reel ....cast with the right , pass rod to left hand & reel with right ,  unlike using my spinning reels where the right arm holds the rod while fighting fish......

Scott   , need to test that set up at Hammi Harb , Jordan or Lake O.locally for those 30lb.+++  nasties   !!   It may be some time in Oct.before I try......B)

• 3 weeks later...

Just spotted your post .....sometimes they get buried with the 3 catagories in one section ......Very nice reel  !!

My most expensive reel ,     a Shimano Stradic 4000 cost me $120 .....many many years ago . One new pick up arm later I still use this reel ......beauty drag !  It has brought in some nice carp and many many other fish over the years including my pb king at 28#  boated while boat motor was in neutral !  That was back in the 80's.....also still have that $70  8' custom made  Fenwick rod  (Donald's Custom Rods)  .  My price limit these days is about $100   (inflation) .....and deflation ( $$$ )  Fishing can be super expensive  but also very cheap ...I'm on the cheap side (can of corn will travel)   :Gonefishing:

Archived