Insight needed

DNorton

I like to think I know what I’m doing when I head out to carp fish anymore. Not a seasoned pro by any means but having had enough time fishing over the past few years I’ve started to get more technical with bait presentation, baits setups etc. That being said for the last 4 outings to fish carp I cannot seem to get them to take my bait. I’ve tried different rigs baits etc with no avail.

Here’s a video from the other night fishing in close and watching them feed on my chum but not taking any bait. 

Now as you can see they’re in close and this goes on for hours I spook them when I reel in to rebait  I’ve tried fishing out further and see them crashing but no takes was wondering if it’s the bug spray coming off my camp chair but they don’t seem fazed by the chum so maybe it’s bait presentation? Any help would be greatly appreciated  

On the last 4 outings this is the only carp that managed to grace my net and funny enough it took a small little dry fly I was using to get gills because I was frustrated getting skunked. 

A522EF5A-E474-44C4-B0D0-EE4E913778B0.jpeg

EF25651B-E3B8-4DA0-94E0-2310E4CC3AFA.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Have you tried using a scented pop up of some sort that’s a different colour then then chum your using?

Yea used a few different ones to no avail. 

Dang, I can't watch the video from this computer.  I'll have to try from another one later. 

Anyhoo, regarding watching them crashing out in the distance out of casting range; when that happens I take a lesson from a British angler who, I read, casts out to them anyway and gets as close as he can.  It seems simple but I did this last year and ended up catching my PB.    

And congratulations of the fly caught carp( even if it was incidental )!  It does highlight just how different a presentation has to be to get them to bite, eh.

1 hour ago, Mike Pike said:

Dang, I can't watch the video from this computer.

Me too ......on wifi here , sometimes ok ...or not so ok....

Sometimes they just want to play ,or are in the mood (you know)  :wub:

If they do not want to play c & r with us ,   as Tyler said ,   move to a new spot , they may be looking for a snack .

I'm not sure if I'm losing all my chum to the millions of perch dinks here , or the gobies , but the carp are not picking it up .  Dang a dang dang !!  :dunno:

2 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Dang, I can't watch the video from this computer.  I'll have to try from another one later. 

Anyhoo, regarding watching them crashing out in the distance out of casting range; when that happens I take a lesson from a British angler who, I read, casts out to them anyway and gets as close as he can.  It seems simple but I did this last year and ended up catching my PB.    

And congratulations of the fly caught carp( even if it was incidental )!  It does highlight just how different a presentation has to be to get them to bite, eh.

Thanks! Was different I didn’t even see it sitting there I had caught 3 to 4 gills before it took it and I was in for a surprise! I wasn’t sure if the video was going to work or not uploaded from my phone. Originally took the video because I was texting my buddy to say the fish are here and not biting but figured I would try to use it as an example as to what’s happening. Guess at the end of the day I’ll have to try some other spots. The video was one of my go to early season spots so maybe they’ve just moved on from feeding there heavily. 

Archived