Streets Creek

Ryan John

Hi all-I am a new member (never posted) but I have really enjoyed reading the posts on this forum in the last year. I recently picked up fishing after not having done it since I was a kid w.my dad (now 31) and truly, thank you to many of you  on here. I have learned quite a bit in searching for answers to different topics. I recently found "Streets Creek" off of the Upper Niagara, right near Legends (it actually runs through Legends). I found a place you can get down there from a public point, and it looks relatively shallow. I plan to throw on some rubber boots and make a few casts.

Just curious, has anyone fished/waded this creek before? Any tips or warnings? Thank you!

Ryan

On 9/26/2019 at 3:42 PM, Ryan John said:

Hi all-I am a new member (never posted) but I have really enjoyed reading the posts on this forum in the last year. I recently picked up fishing after not having done it since I was a kid w.my dad (now 31) and truly, thank you to many of you  on here. I have learned quite a bit in searching for answers to different topics. I recently found "Streets Creek" off of the Upper Niagara, right near Legends (it actually runs through Legends). I found a place you can get down there from a public point, and it looks relatively shallow. I plan to throw on some rubber boots and make a few casts.

Just curious, has anyone fished/waded this creek before? Any tips or warnings? Thank you!

Ryan

You must be thinking of Ushers Creek? I spent much of my youth catching turtles, skating on, and then later duck hunting on Ushers Creek. (long before the golf course) You might get lucky and find a a bass or two at the mouth but nothing other than maybe the odd sucker or carp in the creek itself if your lucky. 

On 9/28/2019 at 4:04 PM, Surf and Turf said:

You must be thinking of Ushers Creek? I spent much of my youth catching turtles, skating on, and then later duck hunting on Ushers Creek. (long before the golf course) You might get lucky and find a a bass or two at the mouth but nothing other than maybe the odd sucker or carp in the creek itself if your lucky. 

Hey Surf and Turf-yes I just looked on google maps and it is labelled on the map as "streets creek" but on street view there is a bridge sign labelled "Usher's Creek". I did not get out as planned as I have a small child and a wife who were both sick this weekend. I am going to try and get out sometime in October, however. 

Thanks for the insight into the creek-good to hear from someone who knows it. I will be happy just getting out to fish, and if I can catch something along the way, even better. Is it pretty walk-able most of the way, going in the direction of the course? I am entering basically at the mouth of the creek, a bit up past the bike bridge.

For the most part is it very shallow with rock bottom,  many spots only a foot or two deep. Further up you can hit some deeper spots i.e.) maybe 3 feet at the most with mud bottom. The water level also rises and falls with the river level, so deeper in the day, then shallower at night. Once you get past Willick Road (by the new club house) it turns really shallow and marshy. Wow, I can picture every foot of that creek as I write this. Wood ducks and mallards rising up from behind deadfalls as I round a bend, the biggest buck I have ever seen bounding across the creek right in front of me. Gas bubbles rising up from the mud below as you step in a soft spot close to shore and the smell that comes up with it..  The Sasquatch huddled on the bank that startled me (turned out to be a trapper setting a muskrat trap..but for a couple of seconds definitely a Sasquatch.. Ha)  Thanks for sparking those memories from over 30 years ago now but seems like yesterday.

19 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

For the most part is it very shallow with rock bottom,  many spots only a foot or two deep. Further up you can hit some deeper spots i.e.) maybe 3 feet at the most with mud bottom. The water level also rises and falls with the river level, so deeper in the day, then shallower at night. Once you get past Willick Road (by the new club house) it turns really shallow and marshy. Wow, I can picture every foot of that creek as I write this. Wood ducks and mallards rising up from behind deadfalls as I round a bend, the biggest buck I have ever seen bounding across the creek right in front of me. Gas bubbles rising up from the mud below as you step in a soft spot close to shore and the smell that comes up with it..  The Sasquatch huddled on the bank that startled me (turned out to be a trapper setting a muskrat trap..but for a couple of seconds definitely a Sasquatch.. Ha)  Thanks for sparking those memories from over 30 years ago now but seems like yesterday.

Okay, thanks for the info! I will try and take a few pics when I do get out and will post them here!

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up going out there (forgot the pics) I went twice including yesterday. Over both times it was just one SMB other than that just minnows. Didn't even get a sunfish, which i thought I would. Really beautiful area, shame about the fishing! 

Archived