P.C. Question

smerchly

I use a desk top p.c for all my on line activity (H.P) ....Windows 7,  Mozilla Firefox ....been using this pc for about 6 years using Cogeco ...with phone & TV as well. My wife uses her iphone and laptop as well from the D-link thingy . The last 2 months I got a warning I have used 70% , then 100% of my "allowed time" & extra charges would apply .  I never had this before . My pute freezes up frequently saying " Mozilla Firefox not responding"  . I might wait 1 to 3 minutes to get back on line or reboot .....It freezes much more in the evening hours like now .

How do they calculate how much time I use ? I like to watch You Tube music but no more than usual ....

Do certain web sites use more "bites" than others like newspapers , fishing sites , emails ? 

I had my 70% warning a few days ago & expect to see 100 before the end of the month ..... any response would be appreciated , I'm not very P.C. wise.....:( 

It probably isn't a time thing, but a how much data are you using.  What is your plan Smerch?

Some plans are unlimited data, other plans are limited data for a cheaper cost.

Unless you and your wife have changed your habits on internet use, someone might be piggybacking on your wifi and helping use your data.  Youtube can eat into the data quickly as well if you leave it playing all day.

Your computer is freezing because it is getting older.   As it takes more windows updates it tends to slow down.  I almost think it’s a conspiracy to force you to buy a new one.  You can fix that part up a bit by doing some simple maintenance however...running ccleaner is quick and easy and can clean up your memory and registry.  This can improve the freezing part. 

As for your overages....yes.  If Cogeco is emailing you then you are exceeding your limit.  You could call them and negotiate a better plan.  If you have internet, phone, and TV with them, then you are a VIP for them.   They should be able to solve that problem easily. 

2 hours ago, corey said:

How did you receive these warnings? Email, popup, text message? This is a very imporant question.

It comes up on my Gmail .....first one says I've used 70 % ...usually about a week before the end of the month .

The second "warning" says I have used 100% and will be billed accordingly .

I have been using the net more this passed month , since being home more , but  a few months back , sometimes I was watching hour long videos on You Tube . I also read more newspapers now , like the Daily Mail ( British)  which takes longer to load because it's stories can have many pictures and videos . 

Thanks for the replies guys ! 

You may have limited internet. You may wantto consider breaking your bundle apart and using other providers for some of your services. At my house, with myself, my wife and 4 teenagers who all stream youtube whle playing online video games, I pay $42 a month taxes in for 40 megabits down and 10 up through cable with Teksavvy. There are many other resellers out there but I have been with Teksavvy for 12 years now and don't have a single complaint.

My kids go to school outside of town so we all have cell phones. My kids all have unlimited talk and text with 3 gigs of data for $40 per month per line. Teksavvy as well as most other internet resellers also offer home phone service considerably cheaper than all the big companies and can port your existing phone number over. I chose not to keep a landline asa we all have unlimited Canada calling. I switched to Virgin mobile recently to save money on this.

As for TV, we all stream our TV shows and movies so we have no need for cable or anything of the such. I am not sure what the best deal is for programming. I use a $30 digital antenna to get live programming. I have one side of the antenna pointed at the CN Tower and the other side pointed at Grand Island in NY State. Gives me 20+ Canadian stations and 30+ US stations.

You will have to figure out what works for you but my grand total for communications is $42 for internet and $280 for 6 cell phone lines. You can be under $100 per month total if you can get away with a single cell phone for talk/text.

Wow ...thanks for all that info . What a complicated world ! haha  So many alternatives ! It's nice to keep it simple ....remembering the old TV antenna and dial phone before the wacky wide world took over from Sputnik 1 .

We watch very little TV on our 35 year old 27" Hitachi balloon tube. The pc gets 90% of the attention . Most phone calls are scammers or doc appointments ......I'll contact Cogeco first .....phone is ringing now... Home Warranty Scam again....

Thanks again !  

Smerch, on top of your internet problems, you also have a problem in that Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 7, which means that you will be increasingly more vulnerable to hacks, viruses, and other intrusions which will also bog your computer down.

If you don’t want these problems, you gotta bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows 10 (yes, Bill Gates is ripping you again!!), but it’s the only way to ensure a safe operating system.

I just went thru this 2 weeks ago, and found my old system wouldn’t run 10 very well at all, so splurged on a maxed-out new computer (Intel 7 9th generation processor, liquid cooled,  business motherboard, 1 terabyte chip drive on motherboard, and, when I get my old drives cleaned out, the dealer is setting it up as a RAID array drive that constantly backs up automatically).  Cost me a lot, but I’ll never have to replace it for another 10 years or so.

6 hours ago, genec said:

you gotta bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows 10 (yes, Bill Gates is ripping you again!!)

The upgrade from 7 to 10 is still free. Dpwnload the Windows "media creation tool" from microsoft, run it and select "Upgrade to Windows 10 now" and in a half hour you have a legitimate Windows 10 installation. 

Facebook market place has boat loads of used PCs for dirt cheap. $200 will get you something alot more efficient than what you have with windows 10 already installed. Not worth investing in your old PC or upgrading, as likely its cheaper to buy a used one that would suit you much better and cost you less as well. Most times, specially with people like yourself who are not so computer saavy your PC is probably bogged down with things that are causing the freezing and pop ups. I don't know what speed your internet is...but lots of options out there for unlimited data at reasonable costs. 

• 2 months later...

Archived