Fishing or "Catching"

smerchly

Welcome to "camera " fishing to catch fish ice fishing ..... I pay no attention to their "trophy" catches when they can legally call this "fishing . I may be old school , but this isn't fishing to me ....  The mnr doesn't seem to care how we catch our fish and of course the government only looks at the cash flow and taxes they get from millions of dollars in sales .

I don't expect many to agree with me , as I'm probably in the minority , but I  don't like to see our "sport" being run by electronics as skill takes a back seat ......( not much different than "flossing" to me )

....long video , but I only needed to watch 5 minutes ....no congrats to this guy ........ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtsLSgQ8ENs

Comparatively to many folks here, I don't have the same # of years under my belt fishing, but what I can say is that I have found the allure of fishing to be the chance to shut off the phone, email, screens in general. Just disconnect for a bit. This seems like more work, lugging all that equipment around.

Fishfinder lets you know depth and if fish around under your hole. Saves time when ice fishing. Still need to make them hit.

With camera, now you know what fish it is, you can adjust your presentation, and set hook when you see bait/lure disappear (instead of feeling the hit and depending on your reflex if jigging).

Those are the two levels. 

I say first is acceptable because you want to make most use of time. You still have to make fish hit (without knowing what they are).

Camera is good for educational purposes, but yes, now it increase the odds for you. 

A lot of the this new tech equip is expensive and limited in use out there.

I know when it comes to ice fishing competitions, no electronics allowed during competition.

I've never been one to cheat with electronics....lol....I like the allure of figuring out a body of water the hard way....only had one boat ever that came with electronics and to be honest I hardly ever turned it on...and couldn't figure out how to use the stupid thing properly anyhow...haha....now all this high def bs....take ice fishing for example....what...drill a hole...camera down....no fish....next....100 holes later...oh there they are....what a joke!!!!!!!.....I will stick to "the hard way"...I have spent decades honing my skills and targeting different species....caught countless trophy sized fish....I get way more satisfaction out of taking the time and actually learning

1 hour ago, мормышка said:

Or you can drill one hole and sit all day in one spot and wonder why you aren't catching fish. 

I would rather do that....reflect on things like...location....conditions...target species....think about what I might change next time....then go out and try it and see if it works. I like the fact that I have spent decades figuring it out...kept journals ect along the way...studied them...the area I am fishing and best the odds myself

13 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

I would rather do that....reflect on things like...location....conditions...target species....think about what I might change next time....then go out and try it and see if it works. I like the fact that I have spent decades figuring it out...kept journals ect along the way...studied them...the area I am fishing and best the odds myself

Lots of time to do that after fishing trip. On water, I'd rather be catching the fish and not think about catching them.

1 minute ago, мормышка said:

Lots of time to do that after fishing trip. On water, I'd rather be catching the fish and not think about catching them.

I agree, when I’m on the water it’s about being successful, and I can’t deny that my electronics have helped me be more successful as an angler. A lot of times I may only be out for an hour or two so I’d rather spend it catching then thinking why I’m not, afterwards I can evaluate what I did. I don’t have a camera but I definitely don’t leave without my portable sonar/down imager when I can use it.

One advantage a sonar has over a camera during the ice season is you don’t have to drill a hole to see what’s under the ice as long as the ice surface is clear and solid, just put the transducer on the ice and most times it’ll read what’s under you, no need to drill 100 holes, makes for more efficient use of your time

I take the other day as an example. It was for panfish, but from 6 holes, 2 produced fish. 1 of the  2 holes produced the most fish. If I stayed at my first 2 holes, there would be no fish. I give each hole 20 minutes maximum if NO fish show. Another 10 minutes if I mark fish (non biters/fussy).

Now if I return to that good hole next time, I can try there first. It may become a dud, or it may produce again. If it does, I there is a reason why its good, if not, then keep moving until I find them again.

1 hour ago, Bass-turd said:

One advantage a sonar has over a camera during the ice season is you don’t have to drill a hole to see what’s under the ice as long as the ice surface is clear and solid, just put the transducer on the ice and most times it’ll read what’s under you, no need to drill 100 holes, makes for more efficient use of your time

With clear solid ice can you strap the transducer to a boot and find fish ?  That should put us on fish in seconds . I have a fish/depth finder on my boat which came with the boat and it has saved me more than once from hitting rocks and damaging my prop .

4 hours ago, мормышка said:

I know when it comes to ice fishing competitions, no electronics allowed during competition.

I didn't know that , or is it for ice fishing only ?  Using fish finders for ice fishing is ok since we are stuck with covering a few inches of bottom , there may be obstructions there , so I'll try another spot . Since I have fished locally for many decades I know the water depths quite well .

35 minutes ago, мормышка said:

I give each hole 20 minutes maximum

Same here MOPM....   but sometimes a school will suddenly pass through and bam bam bam  ! 

David 16 .....give it to me .....   ^_^  Have you caught a crappie yet ?  A fish/depth finder will help while ice fishing for them since they may be suspended 6' from bottom .....  

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

Same here MOPM....   but sometimes a school will suddenly pass through and bam bam bam  ! 

David 16 .....give it to me .....   ^_^  Have you caught a crappie yet ?  A fish/depth finder will help while ice fishing for them since they may be suspended 6' from bottom .....  

Yes with perch they move constantly. A good hole is one where you are able to intercept their travel routes. Bluegill and crappie are usually found together and can bunch up and often suspend (if water deep enough, close to cover/drop off).

Pike show up when they notice activity under a hole. Fish finder reveals when a "pike" moves in as larger mark. Small fish disappear. Sometimes that large mark could be carp or sheephead, but still lets you know why small fish gone.

2 hours ago, мормышка said:

Pike show up when they notice activity under a hole. Fish finder reveals when a "pike" moves in as larger mark. Small fish disappear. Sometimes that large mark could be carp or sheephead, but still lets you know why small fish gone.

How many times have we 'unknowingly' fed a nice pike a plump gill or small perch that were checking out our baits ?   🤔

Some pike have been seen cruising passed our ice holes when water was clear enough .....so , when the pannie bite stops ,  have a larger rod/bait handy and just maybe you might land a nice pike or fat carp .....   :)

What are the most exciting moments while fishing?  The sudden explosion on the surface of a top water bite.  Or, your float suddenly disappear below the surface.  Or, the slam on the end of your line when retrieving a jerk bait.

An underwater camera would deny me all of the above, so no, it's not my cup of tea.  When the 'surprise' is lost, so is the thrill in fishing,  Why not bypass the camera entirely and just go straight to Fortinos for some fresh fish?  lol   

16 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

What are the most exciting moments while fishing?  The sudden explosion on the surface of a top water bite.  Or, your float suddenly disappear below the surface.  Or, the slam on the end of your line when retrieving a jerk bait.

Great answer Mike !   The sound of your drag ( alarm) suddenly catching your ear and the uncertainty of what's on the other end of your line is what makes fishing so enduring . 

A few years back while ice fishing  my buddy hooked into "something" large .  I immediately guessed he hooked a "nice" pike since we caught pike there on previous occasions.   We were using live minnows and Ice Raps  ..... we soon saw the "lips" ...........and "squeezed" a winter carp through the 6"  hole .....pleasant surprise !

2 hours ago, The_Fish_Dawg said:

Time is limited,  give me the technology to eliminate the dead water every day... 

I agree ...it's a BIG lake out there and the fish are on the move . Yesterdays way point may not show a thing today .. 

The first post was pointing out that while ice fishing with a camera ,  "flossing or snagging" is an easy "opportunity" to pick the fish you want  ...with no controls over it ...  and I doubt the mnr cares one way or another.... I mind my own business when it comes to others who fish with extra rods , or take more than legal limits .  That's the mnr's job . 

The camera is cool. My buddy just got one. Its neat to see the fish come and he got to watch walleye turn their nose at his bait. Plus the junk we found under the ice hut.

I wish I had one on my down riggers like charlie whites fishing machine.

Archived