Preparing for my next outing

Tyler0420

Well if this mix doesn’t call the carp in I don’t know what will. Made two batches of chum and some for pva mesh/bags. 3 kinds of chopped boilies, one batch soaked in squid flavor and the other batch pinkberry goo. 

8BC242FD-9470-4C91-8E7D-98816C9C2994.jpeg

38ABBCC6-F3FB-4AF4-ABCC-E030B0D78722.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I made it up on break at work. Smells so good I was going to try it. 

Try it on your work buddies Tyler . If they like it I'm sure the carp will go for it ! 

I "was" going to try some nice fat juicy worms but the worms were a no show last night as the temperature dropped into the low 30's.  .....They will have to settle with my wife's cooking ......oats , cream corn and puffed corn ,with a sniff of pineapple .

14 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Try it on your work buddies Tyler . If they like it I'm sure the carp will go for it ! 

I "was" going to try some nice fat juicy worms but the worms were a no show last night as the temperature dropped into the low 30's.  .....They will have to settle with my wife's cooking ......oats , cream corn and puffed corn ,with a sniff of pineapple .

I checked for worms last night also with no luck. Still have a dozen left anyways. 

I remember from old The In-Fisherman magazine they had article about study on which scents carp like. Cinnamon was top of list. It was from either 1984 or 86 and it was the double edition (twice as thick as a normal copy). So if anybody has it kicking around its worth a read.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:16 AM, мормышка said:

It was from either 1984 or 86

Ah....1984 ....  things have changed (except Mr.Orwell's thoughts) ...we have so many new carp scents now , vanilla , pineapple , hemp seed , hot concoctions , etc etc.  I'll have to try the cinnamon , could load up a bread ball with it or straight from Timmies .

3 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Ah....1984 ....  things have changed (except Mr.Orwell's thoughts) ...we have so many new carp scents now , vanilla , pineapple , hemp seed , hot concoctions , etc etc.  I'll have to try the cinnamon , could load up a bread ball with it or straight from Timmies .

I remember when we fished Fenelon Falls quite a bit, the carp would gather in when locks released. We used cinnamon Timbits squashed around a small treble after reading that as kid. So maybe something to consider. Like I said article was science study over all on olfactory senses of fish, and carp were highlighted, along with catfish and more sight dependent fish like pike/muskie.

9 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I tried the cinnamon last year only once. I threw it in some pack bait. I’ll have to try again

So many factors in what causes a carp (or many carp) to be attracted to a scent. I just remember that the tank tested carp were how attracted overall to the scent cloud of various scents. Licorice (anise) was up there too.

I say use what what's been best for you. Or keep journal/record of scents being used to fish caught. There may be a consistent one in your waters.

All else fails..you could always go to work at smerchlys hooch factory...lol...pink berry bourbon kind of has a ring to it.... looks like you are well armed Tyler...now you just gotta put a couple on the bank for the derby you are in...

24 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

All else fails..you could always go to work at smerchlys hooch factory...lol...pink berry bourbon kind of has a ring to it.... looks like you are well armed Tyler...now you just gotta put a couple on the bank for the derby you are in...

Tournament is cancelled :(

39 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Tournament is cancelled :(

Bummer man... maybe when its applicable to do so.. a few of us can get together for our own little derby for the day

I have a small grinder/blender that is used for fishing only. The magic bullet works great because I leave it in the container and they have a lid for transportation. I make my own scent for catfish and a scent for carp. For carp I blend a dozen worms and half can of corn into a paste mush. For catfish I blend minnow or sucker pieces if I have them and add worms and blend again into a paste mushy liquid.

I soak my rigs before casting and sometimes even add a piece of cotton ball just above the hook wrapped in netting so it stays on for the cats although a simple dip on the rig works just fine.  I have been doing this years and it works great. I keep my leftover minnows in the freezer after fishing so I always have them on hand for my next session.

i always discard and make a fresh batch for each session. If you think about it a fresh piece of sucker or a fresh minnow always works better than a rotten piece. 

50 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

I have a small grinder/blender that is used for fishing only. The magic bullet works great because I leave it in the container and they have a lid for transportation. I make my own scent for catfish and a scent for carp. For carp I blend a dozen worms and half can of corn into a paste mush. For catfish I blend minnow or sucker pieces if I have them and add worms and blend again into a paste mushy liquid.

I soak my rigs before casting and sometimes even add a piece of cotton ball just above the hook wrapped in netting so it stays on for the cats although a simple dip on the rig works just fine.  I have been doing this years and it works great. I keep my leftover minnows in the freezer after fishing so I always have them on hand for my next session.

i always discard and make a fresh batch for each session. If you think about it a fresh piece of sucker or a fresh minnow always works better than a rotten piece. 

For the carp paste are you putting it in packbait?  I cut up some worms in my packbait the other week but no luck. I did Have some luck with salmon eggs in my packbait during the winter. 

On 4/11/2020 at 6:16 AM, мормышка said:

I remember from old The In-Fisherman magazine they had article about study on which scents carp like. Cinnamon was top of list. It was from either 1984 or 86 and it was the double edition (twice as thick as a normal copy). So if anybody has it kicking around its worth a read.

I'm ashamed to say I remember that magazine on the newstands.  Yup, I'm old.  If it's the issue I think it is, it had a carp on the front cover and was titled:  "Fish Of The Future."  As I recall, Stange was predicting the rise of carp as a sport fish because as our population grew and habitats degraded, carp would survive and thrive better than other species.   And here we are.

1 hour ago, Mike Pike said:

I'm ashamed to say I remember that magazine on the newstands.

If you can "remembe"r back that far Mike , you are NOT old yet .  I remember getting kicked off a bus in the late 50's as my cousin and I had a stinky carp inside an ice cream cone box ,and the box got soggy with slime and blood ,and the carp fell on the floor and slid down the isle towards the driver ......we walked the rest of the way home and gave the fish to a neighbour who asked us to catch a carp for him ! 

We used worms , a cheap 6' glass or steel rod  and casting reel with black nylon line . Our left thumb worked as a "pressure" drag .  Carp fishing techniques have crossed the "pool" from Europe  and seem to be catching on here more each year . No other fish gets treated like a queen and has the largest menu to choose from .....:read:

4 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

I'm ashamed to say I remember that magazine on the newstands.  Yup, I'm old.  If it's the issue I think it is, it had a carp on the front cover and was titled:  "Fish Of The Future."  As I recall, Stange was predicting the rise of carp as a sport fish because as our population grew and habitats degraded, carp would survive and thrive better than other species.   And here we are.

Yes, I believe that was the segue from the Olfactory Senses article (which also explored using scents on lures), so it all tied in together, but separate articles.

Archived