Smelting at Ramey's Bend

xltfast1

Had a good day out there today, wind was blowing at times but tolerable. A solid 4+ inches of ice, even the shore line is solid. Fished from about 9:30 until 2, caught well over 200. Now I have a couple hours of cleaning ahead of me.

Ramey's bend is in Port Colborne, on the East side of the canal. The easiest way to describe how to get there is while on Main St in Port head for the canal, once on the east side, head North on Barber until you hit the baricade in the road. (if you need a map, PM me your e-mail and I'll send one to you)

I use a very simple set-up, a line with two small barbless hooks (worn shank type) and for bait you can cut up a minnow into pieces or whatever else you want to use. Fish are a few inches below the ice, no need to go deep. :Gonefishing:

I never been to Erie tracker don't know where it is, but you probaly would be better off getting em at Peters. Walters on Dominion Rd in Ft. Erie was running low last couple times I been there this week.

I never been to Erie tracker don't know where it is, but you probaly would be better off getting em at Peters. Walters on Dominion Rd in Ft. Erie was running low last couple times I been there this week.

Erie Tracker is on Killay in Port Colborne, right across from the beer store.

MinnowMike and myself went out there today after work. It was our first time there and our first time smelting, we caught 255 in a few hours. It was alot more fun than I thought it would be.

What do you do with 500 smelt..... Never fished them and probley never will..... I perfer big game fish myself!!!! but i dont mind chaing Jumbos and big crappie!!!!

Umm you eat them? The Omega 3 helps you spell better too!

Umm you eat them? The Omega 3 helps you spell better too!

Haah.......Yup , those wee critters are poor mans shrimp ! :D But I find thos lunker skis a tad tough !! :D I was ready to hit Rameys this am.....until I looked out the window & saw the snow & winds ;) ......and later today the bitter cold snap begins .....soon be able to take the monster van on the ice at the rec. :worthy:

Haah.......Yup , those wee critters are poor mans shrimp ! :D But I find thos lunker skis a tad tough !! :D I was ready to hit Rameys this am.....until I looked out the window & saw the snow & winds :worthy: ......and later today the bitter cold snap begins .....soon be able to take the monster van on the ice at the rec. :)

It wasn't that bad out there smerch. Fished for a couple of hours and had 150ish in the bucket.

Im thinking I might try that saturday evening or sunday morning, what equipment should I bring? I have never been smelting with a rod. I have all the necessary ice fishing equip for perch, crappie and other small fish as well as medium action rods.

Matt

look at the posts on page one of this thread for bait & hook ideas ......also use no heavier than 4 lb ,line & very little weight like a tiny split shot .

Archived