Rabbit Hunters- Need A Dog?

Dan Andrews

I was in the NF HS yesterday (open 7 days a week) and they had a nice compact beagle. Took this sweetheart for a walk and she was focused the whole time. The only time she wasn't tracking was when I tried to go back in the direction of the HS building. She found every rabbit trail on that property. I think she was only 4 years old.

I'm looking for a family dog not a hunting dog and although this girl was an affectionate suck when it was time to put her back (trying hard to be brought home) she wanted to work. If your the kind of rabbit hunter who's going to be a responsible pet owner outside of hunting season I recommend you give her a look. She wants to hunt so you'll be saving her from someone who will let their kids dress her up like barbie :D

We've owned either a beagle or beagle-mix for the majority of my life, and while I don't hunt (yet), I can personally attest to their tracking abilities!

While on walks, the nose is constantly to the ground in pursuit of that next scent. Great pets with amazing personalities.

I also highly support our local humane societies and would strongly recommend that you begin your friend-searching at one of these organizations as opposed to a breeder.

Bless your heart for taking her out for a walk and posting this on here, lots of great dogs in rescue shelters that need homes, breaks my heart when i go there.. i want to take em all home. Dogs make life better :)

They have been with us (as partners) for well over 10,000 years.

Many animals have "adapted" to humans ... but just nothing quite does it like DOGS DO.

It is a PROVEN FACT that people with dogs live longer... more healthy lives (Stress reducer, lower blood pressure etc)

I remember in grade 3 telling our parish priest that I wanted to get EX- COMMUNICATED.

He said that dogs would not be allowed into Heaven.

I told him that: "IF heaven didnt allow dogs ... then I didnt want to go to HIS crappy heaven" lol

He eventually RETRACTED that statement, after the class "VOTED" that heaven definately would have dogs.

Way too many Jack Russels in these places.

That's because far too many get Jacks because they are cute. Not realizing that they are a high energy and high maintenance dog. Both Lucky and Peanut were Jack crosses. Ruffins was all Jack. These dogs need a lot of exercise. They need a lot of management, as a terrier, they are keenly aggressive by nature. On the plus side they will love you to death and are fiercely loyal.

• 3 months later...

just reading up on this forum........ awesome that you posted this info. I sure hope she went to a good home. the woofewr in my profile pic came from the nfhs, best dam dog I've ever had. I can tell he has it better here than before and the kids just love him to pieces. Got him swimming last summer in the pool and lake I'd bet he'd be a great duck dog. And forever flushing out birds in the ever greens in the back yard. Part collie and black flat coated retriever. Best friend ever. :)

Archived