Gizzard Shad For Supper, Anyone?

marktheperchman

i was down at the mouth of frenchmans creek yesterday and a guy was throwing spinners out and catching ( snagging actually ) gizzard shad. there were many dead ones and lots of live ones. he told me he was giving them to a another guy who was cleaning and eating them. the fish vary in size with some getting up to five pounds. has anyone ever heard of eating these fish before? he was having a blast but isnt snagging illegal no matter what the fish is? he said they were chasing the spinner but it looked like there were so many he was just hooking them

you can eat them, they have meat on the sides just like a perch, they have lots of little bones though, apparently the meats not that good, but to some fish is just fish. i would say if he was snagging live fish then that would fall under snagging regardless of if they were dying,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_gizzard_shad

max weight would be 5 pounds, but that would be in ideal conditions. I accidentally caught a bunch of them today while fishing for pike on Lions Creek. To me it seemed as if they were swiping at my lure to defend their fry and getting snagged in the process. They all looked really beat up, either spotted with red, bleeding gills or belly up anyways. All were released promptly.

Snagging is illegal here period. Check the regs.I never heard of a 5 lb gizzard shad.

Snagging is super dumb I agee Hammer.

But trust me 5lbs is doable I saw some and they huge no doubt they can get 5lbs and over.

How were the fish hooked? If each fish was hooked in the mouth then its all good. Let them have their fun. With teenagers you may have to calmly explain what foul hooking is because many would not even be aware of it.

Archived