Boat Buying Help

RJACQUES

Select a price range , size of boat & motor , then ask anglers who fish Erie & Ontario how their boats handles in rough water . My 15.5 Legend with the 50 HP 4 stroke doesn't qualify for steady Erie fishing. Captnn on this site could give good advise about fishing Erie .

Looking at an 18ft bayliner trophy walk around.. 120hp force.. It is a 1996.. Seller has all papers.. Comes with oars, flares, life jackets, etc.. Has a hummingbird 931c, vhf, and 2 cannon marlin electric downriggers. Galvanized trailer with new tires and brakes.. Asking 8500.. Should be able to make a deal at $7500..

Make sure it's a deep V hull, and the bigger the better. I bought a fiberglass one, and now wish it was aluminum. Also, test drive it first. Any motor will run fine on a set of muffs hooked up to the garden hose. Trust me on this one, found out the hard way with my first boat

Yes I agree,you have to water test it under load.Should take it to a launch for a good inspection like bilge pumps etc.A bad engine will cost you another 4 grand to replace with another used 1.Check to see if impeller service has been done recently,check compression carefully to see if they are all within 1-7lbs of each other.OR to be safe split the cost with the current owner on a inspection from a reputable service place.There are way to many hidden issues with used boats & you have to get lucky to find a well maintained 1 IMO.Good luck

Be very careful with those force motors some have had luck more have not. I would have a mechanic go over it

Guest terry1368

ihave had a lot of boats over the years. from a 14ft. tinner to my present 25ft. offshore, but when it comes to fishing lake erie if its rough stay off of it .even on a rough day my 25ft. will take the waves but it is to hard to fish . also have someone that knows alot about boats look it over for you . good luck

I had trouble getting insurence on mine but its a 69 and ran great with the mufflers but had troubles on the water my opinion go with an out board if possible and a test run would be the best idea i was lucky just needed new spark plugs and a cleaning then it ran great but getting insurence with out a marine survey was tricky only people who would touch it was condonna Merritt on montrose

Yes,marine mech I know said never get a force motor too,suppose to have cheaper plastic parts then a regular merc.He said they are throw away engines so I trust him & have stayed away

Force is a farce, stay away. Merc is good so far for me. My dad had a 25 hp Merc and it spun like a top. An 18 foot fiberglass for Erie is just a bit too small anyways. For a fiberglass you'll want a kicker also. Go at least 21 foot. Are you after pickerel or perch mostly. If picks yeah go fiberglass. If you're only out for perch go aluminum and smaller as when the waves are up you can't tell if the perch are biting anyways.

Cheers,

LT

I have a force engine. I will never buy another one. They are junk. and very under powered. Bayliners are known to have cracks in the glass/hull. If you decide on a boat get a marine survey. This can save you thousands down the road. Without a marine survey you could potentially buy a boat with a rotten transom, stringers, bulk head and sink at worse case scenario. Also will let you know the shape of the engine. I would also go with the biggest engine i could find. Speaking from experience and an underpowered boat and a force motor that doesn't run. Even when it was running it dint have enough power to get on plane with more than 2 guys strategically placed around the boat. Thats just my 2 cents.

Thanks to everyone who is posting.. I have decided to back away from this boat and keep looking.. Will stay away from force! Biggest problem I have is that I usually fish Erie and Ontario in my friend's dad's 21.5 Triumph CC... Always seem to want more than the budget will allow..

yes,budget sometimes gets us in more trouble buying junk.Better off to save a bit more if possible & don't rush to find 1.Nice boats do come up but 50 junk one's in between.

It's buyer beware when dealing with a stranger, a reputable dealer will give you a limited warranty. Check the hull for osmosis blistering, cracking and any signs of repairs. Check the boat's entire deck for wood rot by walking over and pushing down on it. If the boat has under the deck storage use a flashlight and mirror and check the 2x 4 supports for wood rot, if possible smell for musty odors. Check to see if the rub rail is loose or damaged. Check the windshield and make sure it is secured firmly to the boat. There is nothing more annoying than a rattling windshield when you are out on the water. Crawl under the boat and check the hull and keel for scraping or damage. Check the steering cable by turning the steering wheel back and forth. Check the stitching on the boat covers, convertible tops, bow covers etc for sun rot. Don't forget to check all electrical fixtures on the trailer, the wheel bearings and condition of the tires. Make sure there is a spare tire.

I love my triumph. 19ft walk thru handles erie great. The one you mentioned is a great vessel too for sure. Many people fish erie successfully and safely with 18 foot boats. My previous boats were 18 and 17 feet and I fished erie consistently. It is imperative to learn how to handle any boat in rougher waters. That makes a huge difference. You are welcome to come out if you are curious about a triumph in the 19 foot range. I got a great deal on mine last year (2004).

I owned a Bayliner trophy with a 150 Mercury pushed it well a 120 my be small you will also need a trolling motor , not a great boat for trailering but mine was a single axal, besides that the boat was great bought it new at nicals fort erie

Thanks to everyone who is posting.. I have decided to back away from this boat and keep looking.. Will stay away from force! Biggest problem I have is that I usually fish Erie and Ontario in my friend's dad's 21.5 Triumph CC... Always seem to want more than the budget will allow..

Wait till late spring or early summer, then look for what your budget will allow and see what's out there, best tip is like all said water test it.. Most marina's by the lakes will accommodate, as well as any seller... I be it as long as your serious about the boat, most won't like test pilots/tire kicker...lol.... And if you find something, research, research as best you can.....

My tip is keep it over 18' preferably deep V and maybe something someone is selling with equipment.... Emergency equipment, Riggers, kicker, Bimini top, rods, maybe fishing gear etc....... These extra's ad up and can blow a budget out of the water.... Sort of speak...lol.....

Good luck..... Bic...

Archived