Fishing Boats For Erie

RyanTheRiverBoy

Me and my Dad are looking to upgrade to a new boat for fishing Lake Erie we are doing a lot of thinking about brand,length,style.

I'm interested in what type of boats you guys run on Erie and if you could tell me about your boat and how you like it?

Thank you for any responses

That's the wrong way to shop, you will get 100 different opinions. You need to sit down and think about what species you enjoy fishing and how you intend to fish them. Also what bodies of water you enjoy to fish small lakes, great lakes etc... do your homework and then make a decision

16.5 Lund rebel. Fish a lot of inland lakes so it let's me get into a lot of places larger boats can't and it still works on Erie and ontario just gotta pay attention to wind and weather.i run a 70 yamaha which is perfect for me because I troll a lot and I can troll with the big motor no need for a kicker and I can still to 36mph. It's all about what u are going to do the most and what's best for you.

Triton Fish and Ski, 18.5' 150HP, fibreglass, bit deeper hull than a bass boat and full windshield; which is a great option in the winter (70mph in an open cockpit, flat out SUCKS in December!). Comfortable ride, family friendly. I debated whether or not to go fibreglass or aluminum, but after being in a couple tinners this year, I will stay with glass. They are heavier and have a more comfortable ride, in my opinion. I sacrificed storage for family comfort.

If you are a trolling guy, then buy accordingly. I'm a cast and drift guy, mostly for smallies in the river and the lakes, so I purchased a boat for my style fishing. If you like fishing steelies in the lower or muskies, a lot of guides and river rats like tiller motors with an open deck. Way more room to tangle with Niagara steelies.

You can probably narrow down your results if you define the question:

Target species

Fishing Style

Extensive Travel

Passenger/Weight Caps

Good luck with the hunt.

I prefer alum boats for alot of reasons. Stick with a min of 18' and always respect that lake. Weather can turn ugly fast and don't like being in a boat under 18' 5 miles out

Aluminum boat - 18' - 20'

Fiberglass - 17' - 23 ft

Like the assassin said, this might not be the best way to shop but if you did your homework you will no the pros and cons of aluminum and fiberglass boats. For me I have fished in both and like the fiberglass a lot better than aluminum. Right now I fish out of a 21' stripper, I have fished out of a 21 foot islander, 25 foot Thompson fisherman and a 20 foot bayliner trophy. All good boats but the advantages of fiberglass on big water out weigh aluminum in my opinion. Aluminum is great to transport but slap like hell in rough water. Fiberglass are heavier, take the waves better and handle rougher water.

Just my 2 cents, test the boats before you buy them and never under power your boat.

I run a shallow draft 18' flats skiff (Hell's Bay Maquesa) , but I primarily stay shallow or fish the river... if the lake is rough I'm fishing the river.

I prefer to sight fish the shallows with a fly rod... I'm a bit of an odd duck up here.

I run a shallow draft 18' flats skiff (Hell's Bay Maquesa) , but I primarily stay shallow or fish the river... if the lake is rough I'm fishing the river.

I prefer to sight fish the shallows with a fly rod... I'm a bit of an odd duck up here.

Best way to fish :)

I run a 25ft.off shore campion . boat will take the rough water but I still don't leave the dock with strong winds . its no fun trying to handle a boat and fish in rough water .I think if you follow the weather forcast a good 18 ft. will do for most fishing on erie

I have a 16.5' with 75hp.

If Money was not an issue And I could pick the perfect fishing boat it would be a ranger 620 for the Great Lakes. I cast muskies on St Clair a lot and do smallies on Erie too.

An 18' tiller would be a great overall rig for Erie IMO. More affordable - although the new boat prices at the shows this year were ridiculous.

I highly suggest riding in as many boats as u can. You are more than welcome to have a ride in mine. My boat is neither aluminum nor fibreglass. It is a triumph boat but you can still get an idea. It is 19 feet, dual windshield. I'm sure some of the guys on here would be glad to take you for a test ride. This truly is a great way to investigate and ultimately decide. If looking at used, I would be glad to help out with what to look out for. Good luck

I have a 16' Aluminum with a 90 HP and I fish Erie a fair bit. But only when she's friendly. If you've never owned a boat you won't know what you want, till you actually have one. Like Paul, I'd be happy to take you for a spin on the Upper Niagara, I'll be out there soon (i hope) regularly.

Doug and Clarence at Bay City Marine in Hamilton are great guys to deal with.

One more thing to consider. Nichols marine is next to the launch and will take out people interested in buying or seriously looking. They have both new and used. Perfect chance to try some stuff out. Hit the big waves and current straight out to get a feel for rougher conditions.

Archived