Taking advantage of the nice weather

thefrog

Today I decided to strap my little guy in the kid carrier backpack and go for a walk through the bush at the humberstone marsh. When we got there just feet off the road I noticed a deer carcass. It had been skinned and butchered so I gave the poaching tip line a call and reported it. First time I've ever come across this. Also while we out there we had what seemed to be a flock of snow geese fly overhead.  Was I right? Snow geese in niagara? Never have seen them down here before. 

Other than the potential poached deer it was a good day and I'm super happy about getting my little guy out in the wood. Starting him off early that's for sure, hopefully he can get his first fish this summer. 

That's cool getting out and do some exploring... never know if you come across something cool like an antler shed.....or migratory birds... been a couple bald eagles around the Niagara river...great for the kids to get out and do some exploring....soon be frogs out...lifting stones for salamanders and stuff....its a shame about the deer if it was poached.

Fishing Rennie with Drifter yesterday , a coyote walked across the pond in front of us . I managed to get a shot of it before it went to the north shore . It looked it was a good size .....must be eating well , lots of rabbits & squirrels in the area .

LOTS of people out there today ....managed to catch 2 keeper perch ......

8 hours ago, Snags said:

Smerch … the coyotes in St Kitts eat very well.

Probably full on cats and geese mostly.

The geese are an easy target for true Snags .  They eat cats as well ....perhaps thst's why the Humane society here has NO cats in custody ......

Snags ....need to tell your avatar bud it's time to quit the cigs .....looks like they have taken a toll on him ,,,,,,,,  :o

...thefrog ......Good on ya !   Getting the little ones acquainted with nature and fishing  is a GOOD thing !   :Gonefishing:

On 2/23/2019 at 3:20 PM, thefrog said:

Today I decided to strap my little guy in the kid carrier backpack and go for a walk through the bush at the humberstone marsh. When we got there just feet off the road I noticed a deer carcass. It had been skinned and butchered so I gave the poaching tip line a call and reported it. First time I've ever come across this. Also while we out there we had what seemed to be a flock of snow geese fly overhead.  Was I right? Snow geese in niagara? Never have seen them down here before. 

Other than the potential poached deer it was a good day and I'm super happy about getting my little guy out in the wood. Starting him off early that's for sure, hopefully he can get his first fish this summer. 

seen more swans than snow geese around here, big difference in size though ,   Swans are huge,   Snows  are quite a bit smaller than Canadas.  Swans are very vocal too, were they doing a lot of calling?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 10:38 AM, dave524 said:

seen more swans than snow geese around here, big difference in size though ,   Swans are huge,   Snows  are quite a bit smaller than Canadas.  Swans are very vocal too, were they doing a lot of calling?

now that you mention it I would put my money on them being swans. They were being pretty vocal and we could hear their wings flashing through the air. I had never seen swans fly in a V like that before.  If I had to guess there was somewhere in the ballpark of 40 flying in 3  different V formations

Lots of swans up here all winter and the noise is completely different then a goose. Look them both up. As for the deer once you butcher a deer if you're not getting the skin cured then by law you have to return it to a natural area to be recycled by coyotes, crowd etc. Most hunters find a grassy field off the beaten path but others are lazy or just crappy humans and leave it as close to their vehicle as they can get away with. All that does is cause trouble with non-hunters. If they dumped it late December we've had a cold enough winter to preserve it until now as things start to freeze. Some even freeze the skin and bones/legs and head until they find the time to get back out there. The natives hint right into late January. If it was close to parking this is probably just a lazy hunter. I really hope that's all. 

As for snow geese there are a few isolates sightings every year. Look these birds up and learn the differences so you can verify next time. Keep your eyes open and maybe you'll spot the rare Sandhill Crane visits to the area. Be careful bird watching/birding is very addictive and can quickly cost you thousands in Safari clothing and camera gear lol

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:45 AM, Dan Andrews said:

. As for the deer once you butcher a deer if you're not getting the skin cured then by law you have to return it to a natural area to be recycled by coyotes, crowd etc.

Dan, I'm not sure where you have come up with the above misconception, but there is NOTHING in the Ontario Hunting Regulations that says you must do this!

The only thing stipulated in the hunting regs concerns game FLESH or HIDES - see quote below:

With the exception of furbearing mammals, you may not let the flesh of any harvested game wildlife (see Definitions, page 86), that is suitable for food, become spoiled or abandoned. This includes black bear. A hunter who kills a furbearing mammal shall not abandon the pelt or permit the pelt to be spoiled or destroyed.

Not a misconception. I'll look it up but your not allowed to keep the hide of a deer unless you have it tanned. Look up disposing of a deer hide and perhaps you'll find it before me.  

I didn't say I was keeping it, just not having to dispose of it in the bush.  However, I have been teaching the Hunter Education course for 48 years, and have never heard any regulation that says you can't keep a hide, or how to dispose of it.  I've been through the 2019 hunting regulations twice, and the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, and there is nothing stated in either about keeping/disposal of a hide, unless it was from outside Ontario.  You can even sell a hide.

To clarify this issue, I sent in a query to David Critchlow, the chief CO for Ontario.  I'll let you know what his response is.

Well perhaps you're correct. I can't find it in the fish and wildlife conservation act. Perhaps it was an OHEP teacher who told us that you had to return the hide close to where it came if not having it tanned. Back then you weren't allowed to tan it yourself without a tanning licence either. You had to get that licence or return your hide to the wild. 

With that said I'll still search more for that info but what exactly are you supposed to do with it? The region won't accept it. They won't even take my geese carcasses. They certainly don't want these hides dumped near public areas like this though. In the past the landowner asked me to dump it in the field closest to his house about 200 meters away so he could watch the coyotes and crows recycle it. 

I also remember when some anti dumped garbage bags full on canal property. It made the news but the anti got a trespassing charge lol. 

5 minutes ago, genec said:

To clarify this issue, I sent in a query to David Critchlow, the chief CO for Ontario.  I'll let you know what his response is.

I was typing a response when you posted that. I also sent the question to Randy Tippin. Its been years so I don't even know if he's still employed there

I think we could use more info in the regs , both hunting & fishing . Put that info right next to keeping our spots clean . Seems like there's more questions than answers .... When I hunted moose , we left the head, feet , guts & skin in the bush . It only took a few days for most of it to "disappear" (Saw a turkey vulture today) I have seen raccoon carcasses left to rot , groundhogs , shot for being a pest .  We cleaned our fish at the French River & tossed all the skin, heads & guts on "Gull Rock" ....gone in 10 minutes !  Both gulls & vultures licked it clean . 

We have more "road kill" these days ....faster vehicles , super bright lights , and texters.....  :rolleyes: Saw 2 dead rabbits today , a skunk and possum a few days ago.....

Fishing.....what do I do if I catch a 30# grass carp ...release it , haul it over my back to the dump ? What to do with the carp shot with bows ?  release them....eat them ? Lots of invasive fish around now  , many  rudd being caught now ....kill them?   I toss them back .

And poaching game.....I expect to see an increase with all the new toys and deadly accurate cross bows .....it's being going on since I was a kid over 60 years ago using snares for rabbits , leg traps & stove pipes for pheasants , gill nets ......  & on & on .....  The MNR certainly have their hands full ......

I just bag mine up in a garbage bag and put it out with my house garbage for pickup, because in the hunting regs it tells you that out of province hides must be sent to " a waste disposal site ", so I have always done the same with my hides.

Got an answer back today from David Critchlow, the head CO for Ontario, on the issue of deer hide disposal.  His reply stated:

There is no law that says deer hides have to be returned to a natural area.  Disposing of a hide on public land could in fact be an offence under the Public Lands Act; if disposing of a hide on public land, it should be done in an area away from high public use. 

David Critchlow

Another thing to consider .....all animals (fish too) die from aging , disease or accidental misfortune . Mother Nature takes care of it .....

Archived