New to kayak fishing

Tyler0420

What safety equipment is required for a kayak? Lights,flags,ropes etc.  

what rod holders are you guys using for trolling?

has anyone tried pulling dipseys with a Pdl system? I know it’s pretty tiring for guys that paddle. 

any specific type of paddle I should be looking for?

im looking to get the old town sportsmen 120 Pdl kayak. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

What safety equipment is required for a kayak? Lights,flags,ropes etc.  

what rod holders are you guys using for trolling?

has anyone tried pulling dipseys with a Pdl system? I know it’s pretty tiring for guys that paddle. 

any specific type of paddle I should be looking for?

im looking to get the old town sportsmen 120 Pdl kayak. 

Great choice on the kayak Tyler. 
1. For a sealed hull or sit on top kayak Transport Canada states if a PFD is worn only a sounding device or whistle is required unless you out before or after daylight hours. I always wear my PFD regardless and you should to. I have a whistle attached to my PFD.

2. Rod holders: I use Yak Attack Omega Pro that mount in your track system. I also added an 8” extension to keep the rods high enough to clear my legs when peddling. Purchase both at the same time because you will want the extra height if you are a troller like me.

3. Never pulled dipseys but I can’t see it causing any drag. The PDL system is effortless to maintain trolling speeds. I have even pulled people that were tired from paddling around. If I can do that I am sure dipseys won’t be a problem. I know lots of people that run two down riggers on the yak with no issues.

4. Paddle: Many school of thoughts on this but my opinion is for a PDL yak don’t get hung up on a high end paddle because you won’t use it much. I use mine to launch and if I am going through very shallow waters. It is more important to get a longer paddle because the 120pdl is a wide yak. 

5. PFD: Get a good PFD that fits and is comfortable. Remember you will be wearing it at all times in all types of weather hot or cold. Movement is important when it comes to design and fit. This is one area that you don’t want to cheap out or cut corners.

6. Cart: I use a wilderness cart system and it fits perfect with no modifications. This is a must for me. I prefer to unload from my truck bed on a cart. I load my PDL, rods, tackle, snacks and drinks, net....etc. before I launch. I don’t like waiting for boats and I am sure they don’t like waiting for people to load their yaks with their equipment. Plus I also don’t like depending on people to help me carry my yak to the waters edge where there is no launch. That’s the beauty of a yak is the mobility and independence of owning such a great fishing vessel.

I think you have my number Tyler but if not I will send it to you again. We can FaceTime for a few minutes and I can show you a few accessories on my yak so you hopefully save some money and only buy once. 

That’s very thorough and bang on. 

I have rod holders but I’ve found it easiest to use the built in rod holder behind the seat for one rod and I hold the other out to one side.  This is all easy with a peddle drive.  Basic rod holder attachments will put the rod butt right into your legs while peddling without that height extender. 

My PFD is a mustang manual inflation.  Super comfy.  If I were ever to fall in I just pull the cord and it inflates.  You don’t want a wedge of foam between your back and the seat with traditional life jackets. My whistle is attached.  I always wear it. 

Buy a super light cheap paddle.  It’s rarely used.  I use a Carlisle Day Tripper. $65

I have a cart and never use it....yet.  My 10.5ft kayak fits in my SUV

Thanks guys. 
I think I’ll be getting the inflatable pdf of some sort. 
might  grab a cart also, I think it will be handy. 
I’ll have to get lights also. I plan on fishing fall kings after hours tossing/ trolling glow spoons. 
what are you guys using for a fish finder? I don’t want anything fancy just something that will get the job done. 

I use a garmin echo 46 I think it is.  It’s their lower model with GPS and built in maps.  It has downscan but I rarely use that feature.  On the lower models I find downscan doesn’t show much detail.  I mostly use the fishing map to find depth and depth changes and the 2 different traditional CHIRP sonar settings.  Each throws a different cone so I use them side by side. 

I should add that the Oldtown is set up nicely for a Hummingbird finder.  The universal transducer mount is meant for that or a lowrance.  I had to make my own attachment for the garmin transducer. 

I use a Lowrance on the kayak and it is pretty basic with just a gps. A must for me is Navionics that I have installed on my phone. For trolling I find it more useful than just a sonar. With navionics I set my min and max water depth and follow the charts to stay in the target area. I mark humps or structure at home and hit the areas while trolling. If I was primarily a bass fisherman I would seriously look at the side scan units but for trolling which I primarily do I don’t really find it useful for myself.

I'd also recommend a safety flag if you are out with a lot of boat traffic. I got the kids bike flag and rigged it for my kayak. Stands nice and tall and only $12. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it attached.

Supercycle 2-Section Bike Safety Flag Canadian Tire

I make up a fishing table-type-thing to attach rod holders and a few cleats to hang things off and tie off the anchor (folding kayaks don't have the option to drill in flush mounted rod holders or have the side tracks).

Lots of options for kayaks these days.

20190605_151103.jpg

Damn looking like the sportsmen 120 is sold out till the fall or next year depending where you look. A few other options though. The salty 120, top water 120, big water 13,6 and pro angler. 

7 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

They have none. 
I think I’m going with the sportsmen 120 top water Pdl with an upgraded seat. 

Fogh Marine in Etobicoke is showing they have stock online of all the Oldtown PDL models.  

The Topwater 120pdl is a great option. The main difference between the 2 is this:

1. The floor insert traction/ standing material is a little different. 

2. The seat is much better on the sportsman but the Topwater seat is still a good seat. If you don’t like it an easy upgrade is available and the seats are interchangeable. I used one for hundreds of hours with no complaints 

3. Next is the storage area. The sportsman is a little bigger because they removed or reshaped the back tank well. Honestly you would never know this unless you see them side by side.

4. The strap that holds the rudder in place during transportation is a different configuration. I actually prefer the Topwater design better.

5. The sportsman has a pre-rigged spot for a shallow water anchor the Topwater doesn’t but it can be added if you want. Honestly unless you fish very shallow water and have a crapload to spend on a shallow water anchor this might not matter. Just as easy to use a stake out pole if that is style of fishing. Now that I think of it the new Topwater might have the pre-rigged anchor plate but you will need to confirm this yourself.

6. Now the last is the handle position. In the past the Topwater had a useless rear handle but now the handle is molded in the rear like the sportsman so this is no longer a factor.

Performance is exact same between the 2 models and both are an excellent choice. If they were side by side I would choose the sportsman but if you said I had to wait I would pull the trigger on a Topwater with no regrets. Don’t sleep on it because it won’t be there tomorrow. 

29 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Picking up my kayak Monday after work. Hopefully I can find an inflatable pdf. I have one I can use for now.  

And don’t forget the whistle to make it legal. Where are we meeting up Tuesday? If you are interested Guelph Lake makes for a good test paddle with very easy access to the water. 

I heard of a salmon being caught in 25fow. Hopefully that means their starting to come in close. Good thing I didn’t get rid of my trolling rods and gear. Some old rod/reels but they should still do the job. 

Archived