Saving th 15 Mile fishery

bigugli

Below is a letter to copy and paste to send off to the various government agencies and area politicians who should be concerned about the destruction of our fishery.

To Whom It May Concern.

I write to direct your attention to an extremely grave problem in the Niagara region. One which affects citizens across much of southern Ontario.

15 Mile creek is a tributary stream feeding the western basin of Lake Ontario. It borders the Town of Lincoln and the City of St Catharines. Where the stream meets the lake there is a large impound pond at Charles Daley Park. Over the years the park has provided excellent opportunities for anglers and wildlife enthusiasts alike. It also provides habitat for diverse wildlife, including protected species as the painted turtle.

More importantly, this body of water is a key spawning ground for lake run species from Lake Ontario. Through the months of April and May, numerous species enter this pond to breed. They include rainbow trout, yellow perch, white bass, crappie, channel catfish, common carp and freshwater drum. Vast schools of emerald shiner, a key forage fish for many species also enter this pond. This makes 15 Mile creek an important natural nursery bed for Lake Ontario's fishery.

That pond has now sustained serious damage as a result of negligent development, The shoreline and spawning beds immediately in front of 1197 Lakeshore rd. have been devastated and stripped by heavy equipment. The damage continues as sediment runs off, unchecked, from a slope that has been stripped of vegetation. Despite calls placed with the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority, the Ministry of Natural Resources, and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, no action has been taken. In fact, many excuses have been supplied for not taking action.

As an outdoors enthusiast and conservationist I am shocked. As a taxpayer, I am appalled. Laws written to protect and sustain the fisheries and environment are not being enforced. If left unremedied, the damage to the fishery and wildlife will take decades to recover. I expect, and respectfully, demand that suitable actions be taken to:

1) Enforce the laws in place to protect both the fishery and environment.

2) Engage in immediate efforts to restore the affected habitat

Yours in Conservation

Here is a list of contacts to e-mail this letter. Please sign with your name and address, Verifiable taxpayer voices are what count. Let us know if you participate.

http://www.gailshea.ca/ Minister of Fisheries Canada

ljeffrey.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org Minister for MNR

http://www.niagararegion.ca/mailto.aspx?em...eter+Partington

Regional chairperson

smiller@npca.ca Co-ordinator of watershed regulation NPCA

ofah@ofah.org

info@deanallison.ca MP for Lincoln

jbradley.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org MPP St Catharines

timhudak@niagara.net MPP Lincoln and leader of Ontario PC party

Sent

Ditto , all 8 sent . Thanks Bruce ,and to all , lets show them that we anglers ARE concerned and protective of our land and waterways .

I sent emails to all those listed, and added one to the Minister of the Environment John Gerretsen, this morning. I am pasting the body of an e-mail response I received already today from the NPCA which reads as follows as addressed to myself:

Dear Dave:

Thank you for your email of April 12, 2010.

With respect to the above, please be advised that the owners of the property you have referenced are currently in discussions with NPCA with a view to implementing restoration. As of this writing our Regulation Officer has advised that some interim sediment control measures have already been put in place . NPCA has and will continue to pursue satisfactory restoration and resolve of this matter, by the most expedient and legal means available to us.

This came from the director of water management from the NPCA, Welland.

I sent emails to all those listed, and added one to the Minister of the Environment John Gerretsen, this morning. I am pasting the body of an e-mail response I received already today from the NPCA which reads as follows as addressed to myself:

Dear Dave:

With respect to the above, please be advised that the owners of the property you have referenced are currently in discussions with NPCA with a view to implementing restoration. As of this writing our Regulation Officer has advised that some interim sediment control measures have already been put in place . NPCA has and will continue to pursue satisfactory restoration and resolve of this matter, by the most expedient and legal means available to us.

This came from the director of water management from the NPCA, Welland.

That is some fantastic news. Pity they have not got around to telling Smerch or myself :Gonefishing:

That is some fantastic news. Pity they have not got around to telling Smerch or myself :Gonefishing:

I guess we are the trouble makers who started this thread Bruce , but it is good news to hear they are taking this seriously and starting some restoration . I believe they are asking for us to bear with them and stop contacting other avenues until they complete the restoration . Thank you NPCA for getting the ball rolling ........

that is awesome news. now lets see if they actually follow up with actions. it will be interesting to see how slow or fast that happens. I hope for the sake of the environmental issues at stake, that it is sooner rather than later.

Rich

that is awesome news. now lets see if they actually follow up with actions. it will be interesting to see how slow or fast that happens. I hope for the sake of the environmental issues at stake, that it is sooner rather than later.

Rich

Make sure it happens. Add your voice.

I found an old reg book in the basement ...2003 . It is a thicker book with more info on various topics compared to the 2010 reg book which is downsized . when I read THIS page , I thought it would fit right in this thread nicely .....

shoreline.jpg

Bigugli has done a lot of calling , researching and contacting many people to get some peoples attention and I personally thank Bruce for putting in a lot of his time to get this issue resolved . I'm green with this stuff and I'm thankful to have Bruce carrying the ball . He steps right up to the plate when the going gets tough ! :blush:

P.S.......don't get on the wrong side of Big ugli :D:Gonefishing:B)

i was told a siltation barrier was installed. is this true?

I will have a look from the park to see what is happening this week . I also got an answer back from Tim Hudaks office and was assured he will have a personal look at this . Has anyone heard from Jim Bradley ???? I have emailed him in the past and never got a reply from him at all B)

received the follow reply from mr.miller as well as a reply from Hudak's People.

With respect to your email, please be advised that the owners of the property you have referenced are currently in discussions with NPCA with a view to implementing restoration. As of this writing our Regulation Officer has advised that some interim sediment control measures have already been put in place. NPCA has and will continue to pursue satisfactory restoration and resolve of this matter, by the most expedient and legal means available to us.

Yours truly;

Archived