MNR loses one of its finist

rick

file1152005120244AM.jpg

By Heather Spadafore

Timmins Daily Press

After a decade-long career with the Ministry of Natural Resources, Cody has passed away at the age of 11.

An MNR service dog for about a decade, Cody was euthanized after being diagnosed with bone cancer.

“I didn’t expect it at all,” said Cody’s handler, conservation office Kyle Cachagee.

The yellow lab had a mouth infection, and was limping from an injury.

“I got him checked out and his tooth wasn’t a big deal,” Cachagee said.

“After x-raying his leg, that’s when we found out he had bone cancer. It was a total surprise.

While the veterinarian told Cachagee a biopsy could be performed, he felt euthanizing the dog was the best course of action.

“I knew he was having a hard time, and he wasn’t eating,” Cachagee said.

“He wasn’t himself since before the holidays.”

Cody started with the MNR in 1995, and was the last surviving graduate of the OPP Police Service Dog course held that year.

“We’d also go to schools, sportsmen’s shows, church clubs, service clubs. You name it, we’ve

probably been there.”

Kyle Cachagee

During his career, Cody responded to 450 evidence recovery calls in the Northeastern Ontario region.

He would also travel the Northwest and Southern regions when required.

He was trained to track humans and detect such things as walleye, trout, most deer, ducks, geese, bear meat and gall bladders and firearms.

Cachagee and Cody logged more than 540,000 kilometers, travelling as far as Ohio.

“We’d do a lot of educational demonstrations,” Cachagee said.

“We’d also go to schools, sportsmen’s shows, church clubs, service clubs. You name it, we’ve probably been there.”

In total, Cody and Cachagee did 276 educational demonstrations for more than 26,000 children.

Cody was lucky to have survived after being diagnosed with a canine form of the flesh eating disease in 2002.

He lost one eye, but continued to work until he retired in November 2003.

In retirement, Cody became a family pet to the Cachagees, being taken for walks and runs, and playing and swimming at the family camp in Chapleau.

Seems to me , too many dogs dying before their time . Many dogs are getting cancers even though we have all these "high tech" super nutritious dog foods . A friend of mine lost two Labs that died of cancer at about 7 -8 years old. They may have ingested grass that was sprayed for weeds or licked their paws after running in the grass .....hard to prove ,but highly suspect . When my neighbours spray their lawns, I put up a barrier on that side to keep my pooch (Staff.Terrier) from walking in that area . She tends to walk the fence line & nibble the grass there . Sad to lose any dog before it has still a few more good years left. This MNR dog at least had a very busy life and you can tell....it was loved a lot !

I lost my faithful yellow lab, Tucker at the age of 5yr to the same thing.This dog lived for going out in the boat or in the bush to root around an was the best playtoy for my newborn daughter . I found out about his cancer by accident and within a week he wasnt the same and I put him down a week later as his quality of life changed dramatically. My current lab, Falkor is 7yr. and going strong, real strong. This dog is a 95 lb.beast. He,s not as keen about the boat but he loves the bush and any water that he can get wet in and watches out for the kids. I never compare the two personalities because each has had thier unique qualities.

There is no better feeling than having a loving companion by your side. I hope Kyle moves on to another one after a short period of mourning as I did .I have never regretted getting another one. They are truly "mans best friend"

Archived