Advice on a new rod.

Mike Pike

Ok, when bottom bouncing for trout at Dalhousie Harbour, I've really enjoyed using my 9 1/2 St. Croix( Avid Series )rod. But I'd like some opinions.

It looks to me like some of the harbour regulars are able to cast father than me and are therfore enjoying longer drifts. Is this because you guys are casting with longer rods?

Also what is your prefered rod action? My St. Croix has good backbone for about 2/3rds of its length, then it bends for the final 1/3rd. I feel like I'm able to really work the drifts with the heavier weights better with a rod like mine. But I notice some of you, though, have rods that have the classic "C" arc in 'em when fighting a fish.

I'm going to buy a rod specifically for bottom boucing Port D so I guess I'd like to get a few opinions on the characteristics some of you Port regulars prefer.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Guest canadadude

I use an 11' loomis Im6 and can throw that out really far when my reel is spooled up full, I loose maybe 30% of my distance when I start getting down on line!! I also used a 10.5' cheap chinese rod and could throw that a mile aswell untill it dissentigrated on me one fine November day <_< One of the best drifters I know down there uses a but end from 1 rod and the tip from another and catches tons of trouties!!!I mean distance can matter somedays if the fish are holding on a far out current break,but ussually you don't always have to fire it out that far lots of guys just like tossing it a mile!! I mean I've seen Tommy catch tons of trouties floating 1 1/2' from the wall :P !!!! Your 9.5' St Croix sounds like a perfect bottom bouncer already especially with the 1 1/4 oz to 1 3/4 oz weights I use for drifting!! If I have any complaints about my loomis is that at times I think it is to soft in fact I was thinking of going to a rod just like what you already own!! Keep your reel spooled full all the time is my best advice for distance!!! :lol:

Thanks for the replies Guys.

Although the longer rods may give me a bit more casting distance, it sounds like I may be good with what I have.

Funny, but I may have been caught up in the 'grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" senario. But the truth is, I've been doing well with my current set up. So maybe I'll save the dough and put it into all the weights, hooks and baits I'll be loosing to the bottom this fall, winter and spring! LOL

Gonna keep that spool good and full like Dude recommends and see if I can notice a difference in casting distance. But truth is, I like the feel and control I have with my current rig.

Thanks again Guys and see ya out there soon enough!

Just a little tid bit........I find that on windy days , the long rods , like my 11.5 ' is harder to control . The wind really catches it & bows the braided lines a lot, so you lose the feel for the bottom . So I now carry a shorter rod or two about 7 to 9 ft and use a heavier weight to keep the line straighter ....get a few more hang ups but get more fish too !

I have an 11.5 foot Loomis GL3 I made a few years ago and it is great at Port. A little pricey - you can get other Loomis rods probably cheaper. Lots of backbone and rated 4-8. It would be a great compliment for the other rod you currently have. ;)

You have more then enough rod to fish Port D. I actually prefer a 9 1/2 ft rod . One it gives you more control over a fish and it's beneficial during windy days. Some of these guys who fish Port D and are using 11-13 ft rods are also loading them up wat to much with 2-3 ounces of lead . That's why they are getting these country mile casts. Actually the fish are right at your feet. If the current switches to the other side go to the other side. Usually when I'm fishing Port D I'm never off of the wall you usually find me off of the rocks taking short and controlled drifts.

Interesting stuff Guys. We really do all have sightly different approaches of attacking those trout, eh? Lots of stuff in common, though, too.

I'm leaning towards 'dancing with the one that brung me' and sticking with my current set up.

8lb mono on a FULL spool with perhaps a tad more weight should help me get 'er out there when I have to. That and maybe a bit more time at the gym! LOL

Good tip on the braid, Tommy. I'm pretty old school with alot of my fishing and have been primarily a mono guy, but with so much line out and 'feel' being everything, maybe it's time to go to the braided stuff and a flouro leader.

Guest canadadude

Here's another tip for weight, I fish down there alot and somtimes I need 1 3/4 oz wieghts different drifts call for different set up that sinker has to be ticking bottom!!! My tip is go the dollar store or CT and get a cheap pair of wire cutters or side cutters what ever they are and you can trim down your pencil weights for the conditions to get the proper drift!! I use them alot I wouldn't want to be bottom bouncing without them!!! The braid is only good above freezing once the cold sets in it's mono time but the braid is nice for the feel!! Flurocarbon leaders are expensive and you only really need them when the water is super clear, but they do make a big difference in the clear water!!!

Guest Shayno
Here's another tip for weight, I fish down there alot and somtimes I need 1 3/4 oz wieghts different drifts call for different set up that sinker has to be ticking bottom!!! My tip is go the dollar store or CT and get a cheap pair of wire cutters or side cutters what ever they are and you can trim down your pencil weights for the conditions to get the proper drift!! I use them alot I wouldn't want to be bottom bouncing without them!!! The braid is only good above freezing once the cold sets in it's mono time but the braid is nice for the feel!! Flurocarbon leaders are expensive and you only really need them when the water is super clear, but they do make a big difference in the clear water!!!

Hey Canadadude, you want to sell that im6? Let me know?

Thanks Shayno

i use a 10'6" cheapo $70 i think i got it for..i use10lb braid main line until it gets to cold.i tie my weight on with braid also

then i use 8lb flor to my bait. this setup works great for me

some of these guys are great for advice at places like that, and the ever changing conditions...you might notice that even on the busiest days down there, when the walls are lined with people, you may see for example like 20 guys fishing...but if you notice maybe only 4-5 guys are actually catching the fish, chances are on some days, that it's some of these guys that put the time in and learn how to change thier presentation on a dialy and sometimes even hourly basis, and they do always offer to lend some tips to those they see putting in the effort, getting out there, and trying things on thier own....some guys make it seems like easy pickins, but Port D can be a pretty tough place to fish...you can bet the guys that make it look easy, di thier "homework" :blink:<_<

good advice jack .......sometimes it seems like you cant do anything right <_<

other times cant do no wrong :blink: its all about changing things up , and finding out whats

working at the time . on those windy days , i prefer using my fenwick 12-6 ft its a little

stiffer and easier to control the line . but love using the loomis 13ft for the feel :dunno:

its interesting to see how the current and drifts change from day to day , or hour by hour

some GREAT advice on this one guys . you never stop learning huh ;)

Guest canadadude

Like Joe says "you never stop learning"......Thats the best advice on here <_<:blink: Another tip don't be afraid to help another fisher out by netting his troutie, and then you get a close up look at the set-up he used to catch his :dunno: The more you fish for the trout the more you learn and you start paying attention to the little things that will help put more fishies on the bank!!! ;)

Archived