Locating crappies

Guest FIN "S" FISHER

Guest Eyelike2fish

I fish a little lake around here that has crappies. I find that using wax worms and getting people to fish different depths until you find a pattern works. I prefer wax worms over minnows for locating crappies. When you find them switch one rod to minnows for the bigger fish and keep the other with wax worms to keep the school in. You will end up with lots of small ones but it also keeps the school together and the bigger ones will take the minnows.

Good luck...Steve

If you find a way let me know to. Crappies are one hard damn fish to find i'll be the first to admit that but when you find them they are a blast. I think SIrfishalot can definetaley help out some guys on here just check out the www.ontarioanglerawards.com local guy kicks A$$. I know i'll being asking him some more questions and probally bugging him to go out crappie fishing one of these days. :worthy::)

Guest dannyboy

How far do crappies move? there are some spots we catch them in the spring west of Welland on the Welland River, might they still be in the same area?

Dan

Try south of the broadway bridge in Welland about 2 hundred yards using micro jigs,, pickeral rig with #8 hooks or again the slip bobber suspending the presentation off the bottom, all minnow tipped. Remember crappie feed upward so if they are hanging on bottom then you hang off bottom. Try using a spring bobber as they detect the slightest pick-up. The best time seems to be just before and after sunset.

I have not scouted other spots as of yet.

Guest Eyelike2fish

I guess you can ask 100 people and get a 100 answers. The advice posted here is all good. The moral of the story when crappie fishing is keep trying different depths, lots of holes, and "remember" what depth you were at before reeling that baby in :lol: . Happy hunting.

Steve

I have a Buddy II fishfinder , won it at Keswick perch derby 7-8 yrs ago. I have used it at Jordan Harbour in the south bay where the water is about 5 ft deep. These finders have the horizontal beam on the transducer as well as the depth . I cut a hole in the top & bottom of a 5 gal pail the same size as the extendable shaft on the unit & put a clear plastic bag over the top of the lcd to keep the C cell batteries warm . Haven't used it lately but think I'll take it out next time . Any body use this type of fishfinder for ice fishing? They are not as sensitive as the Vex. so may not be that great for pan fish....

Guest Eyelike2fish

The unit you mentioned works fine for fishing. The difference between the LCD and the VEX is the VEX is instant feedback. The LCD provides information of what happened. With that said, it still marks fish, gives you depth, and tells you what sort of structure you have. As for the cold temp you may want to put a bag on then turn on the back screen lighting. You would be surprised how much heat it gives off.

Steve

Thanks for the info guys ! The Buddy uses 3 C cell batteries and I thought by using the back light it may deplete the batteries faster, but since they are supposed to last 40 hrs, I would be happy to get a day out of them . I also have some rechargeables that may give me a days worth . Will take it out next time on the ice ......Jordan looks like it's just about ready.....

Guest Eyelike2fish

The back light actually doesn't take much power to run. You can easily get a weekend out of good batteries. I am not sure if your model has the sensitivity feature....I believe the Buddy II does, but you can adjust that because you are sitting still and its not moving like you would in a boat. Adjust it so that you can pickup the bait fish and even fish sitting still right on bottom. Fool with it while your out. Your there....you have the time....experiment and have fun.

Steve

Archived