Minnows in Captivity

scottydog

Just wondering how long minnows live. Three years ago in Feb I had some pinhead shiners left over from ice fishing. I kept them alive in a bucket for a couple of weeks thinking I was going to use them again. I decided to put them into a 100 gallon fish aquarium with plants and lots of rocks.I still have these same minnows. My buddies bug me and think I should take them to Simcoe for trout. They were about 1" when they went into the tank and now they are about 5". I also have a sucker who has grown about the same. It is neat to watch them. On days with a east wind they are very inactive, but on days with a rising barometer look out. Can't keep them in the tank. I wondering how long a minnow might live. Maybe we good have a contest and see who could guess how long they might live. They guys are my pets and there not for sell for you spring pike fisherman. I feed them gold fish food twice a day. Yes I'm a bit weird with this stuff but when you are a fishing nut these things are common. I have an ex wife to prove it. Anybody ever have a minnow as a pet. I know somebody has. Be honest.

Good fishing Scottydog

I had a tank with area fish and one pleco. The cats were hypnotic to watch on those night you couldn't sleep. The Baby carp I netted kept me awake by constantly uprooting or devouring my plants. The bluegill was my favourite pet as it was friendly and seemed to have a personality. My chair was right beside the tank and I swear when I was playing cards it would table talk for me. The largemouth didn't do much but eat everthing and the minnows always kept you guessing. Good observation on the berometric behaviour scotty.

I had horned dice, topwaters, emeralds,suckers and creek chub. It was always fun for the kids and sometimes finding the crayfish was a challenge. If you want some entertainment, go to a pet store that sells those tiny red worms. I think they are called tube effects worms. Put them in a can of water and swirl it around then dump them in. the minnows will compete with the bass etc and you'll see a pretty wild feeding frenzy.

Scotty. Have you ever tried feeding them the brine shrimp? You used to be able to buy the eggs at the pet stores and they were easy to hatch. Probably heathy for the tank.

whatsthis.gifd51.gif

Table talking fish ? Horny dace ? :lol: Think your losin it Chills ...Too much time on the water ! :( ..........Scottydog, if those pin heads are now 5inch minnows , I would keep on feeding them until they reach about 12 inches ! Bet they would be as tastey as smoked herring . I had a mud puppy a fews years ago and it would take 5 live minnows for lunch . I had my hand in the tank one day while moving rocks and plants while I was cleaning up some sediment (crap) and that thing got a grip on the inside of my finger so tight I let out a howl and Sandy says to me..."So they don't bite eh ? " B) Anyway Scottydog, I would say ,just keep an eye on them minnies and if you notice some getting a little white in their beards ......... :P

Guest Jeetmuck
I had a mud puppy a fews years ago...

Thats interesting. I thought I was the only one that had one of those. Growing up down in Wallaceburg, we get them quite often and as a kid I kept one and he was a vicious thing. Didn't like people stickin' their hands in the tank. Ugly little bugger too and ate like a pig.

Never had minnows in the tank long enough to grow. I have tried unsuccessfully to keep minnows alive in an old freezer converted to a tank but couldn't make 'em last.

JM

Well the first is just a cool aquarium. The second has a carp just centre at the bottom about 3 inches long. There's also a chick who let this sucker give er a school of minnows in the canoe which brings us back to the first picture. :lol: Now I don't fish as much and she only practices catch n release. :D

Archived