Cost of Wiring

charlieD

Anyone know approximately how much to get wiring done on a truck for towing? I am looking for something reasonable....or is there a connector that splits one wire into 2, so you can run one to your lights and the other ones hook up to the trailer? Just bought a truck and was wondering...also are the factory hole on the bumper alright to tow a boat with?

Thanks Charlie

Tried to delete this but couldn't...mods if you want just transfer this post to the none fishing if you want...thanks!

Charlie ther is harnesses made by reese that plug directly into your rear light harness, depending on the year of the truck, personally if the boat is over 16 foot i would not tow off the bumper, class three all the way no second guessing weight, this is just my preference, safety first, but lots of guys tow off the bumper.Canadian tir has those wire harnesses from about $20 to 60, well worth it no cutting wires and corrosion later.Don't know what your towing with i have a class 2 reese hitch from a 98 astro van you can have for free or if not yourself anyone wanting it . p.m me first to make sure i have not thrown it out.

Anyone know approximately how much to get wiring done on a truck for towing? I am looking for something reasonable....or is there a connector that splits one wire into 2, so you can run one to your lights and the other ones hook up to the trailer? Just bought a truck and was wondering...also are the factory hole on the bumper alright to tow a boat with?

Thanks Charlie

Tried to delete this but couldn't...mods if you want just transfer this post to the none fishing if you want...thanks!

That bumper hole may not be at the right height for your trailer/s. Trailer should sit level when hitched up. With a proper hitch frame you can adjust and adapt for height.

Try ebay if you are willing to wait for the harness.

I used a test meter when I installed mine with another friend, it is not difficult. There are some connector that can attached two wires without having to cut them, CA tire selles them. The harness is also sold by Canadian tire.

Josh

thanks guys...that seems to be the consenses about crappy tire. The year of the truck 2003 and it has the harness plugs. The truck is farely low to the ground. I am gonna get a proper hitch next month I just thought I could get something quick to go fishing with JWL is all.

Wayne.....what is a class 2 reese hitch ? I am new to all this and have no idea what a class 2 or class 3 is.

Thanks

Check Princess auto, http://www.princessauto.com/PAcountry.cfm?...AN&INF=home

The best store and price for your trailer, they might have a hitch for your truck as well. Crappy tire charge more for their harness. An ultimate men's store in my opinion.

Princessauto has a blue colored $6 pen shaped Diamond hook sharpener as well that is very good for sharpening hooks.

class 2 hitch is rated at 2000-3000+ lb of tongue weight while class one is only 1500lb. The physical difference is the size of the ball where the hitch is attached.

Ebay also sells hitch so check it as well. You might be lucky at times when no one else is bidding on the same item. I bought a lot of stuff on ebay all the time, and nothing beats the price sold there.

Joshua

Charlie what type of truck did you buy? :dunno: I have a harness for a Dodge that just plugs into the existing truck wiring. You're more then welcome to it as I don't need it. It's new and still in the package. It was given to me when I bought my boat but I already had the adaptor.

I bought a dodge dakota...thanks alot Joe....we will have to arrange to pick it up, I have to head to the falls soon to pick up a stove I will let you know in advance, thanks again. It should be a universal one right for all dodge's?

Charlie if your looking for a hitch go to hitchman i think it's called top of the mountain in grimsby, top of mountain road, factory fit hitch , go with a class 3 and ya can hual anything, about $170 a real deal, princess auto has then but there universal and ya have to drill holes and about the same price, no drilling or nothing with a factory fit, installed mine in ten minutes on my van easy as pie, i'll find a number for ya and post it, as for the the class 2 hitch i had guyz seems my wife thru it out with the garbage one nite , sorry.

I bought a dodge dakota...thanks alot Joe....we will have to arrange to pick it up, I have to head to the falls soon to pick up a stove I will let you know in advance, thanks again. It should be a universal one right for all dodge's?

It claims that it is charlie, it just plugs into the existing harness under the truck where it breaks off to the lights.

ok cool Joe, thanks. Thanks Wayne I will have to look it up and see about getting a proper hitch put on. The Truck is not a 4x4 and is only the 3.7L so I am not sure how much it can really tow I will have to look at the manual.

My 6 cyliner Chrysler Extended heavy grand Caravan van only has a 3.3L engine. Your truck would have sufficent power to tow a boat. Your truck will eat gas for sure, mine takes 5.5 km per liter during towing. Invest in a Transmission Cooler, it will defintely save your tranny. Chrysler/dodge is famous for bad transmission. It cost at least $1500 to get an aftermarket replacement , and original equipment cost $3000. Due to bad design, this is just another reason why American made car is just loosing grounds against Imports every day, cars are cheap to buy but expensive to maintain. My Van is defintely under powered at slower speed during towing, but it does its job and the transmission cooler helps. I cannot afford to own another 4x4 truck just for towing a boat. My van is also used for business, therefore the gas consumption is a write off. If I do not need cargo space for business, I would own a toyota Corolla for its efficient gas conusmption for everyday use going to work. A once a week towing our boat should not be the only reason of owning a gas guzzler.

During winter months, I drive my 91 3.0L Nissan Maxima to the whirlpool area, and they are efficient at 10Km/liter on the highway without towing anything.

My mechanic buddy told me that an 8 cylinder car will be more gas efficient in towing a fiberglass boat. A 4x4 four cylinder Subaru is not way more efficient in towing as well.

Who said Fishing is a cheap hobby these days. Owning a boat or a car with an older engine can be a nightmare at times, and preventive maintenance is defintely a must. Most of us who owns older boat or vehicle are used to all the problems, our wives do not understand why we have to go through all the headaches at times.

You already knew that my older evinrude 85hp engine eats a lot of gas, and it would cost me more than $5000 to buy those more gas efficient FI 4 stroke engine. A long return of investment just to save gas.

Good luck on your new venture into investing in more tools and equiment to help you be a more efficient angler.

depending on what you are ultimately going to tow Charlie...I had a Caravan and had no probs ever towing the Legend Viper, it's not all that heavy of a boat, killed the van with too many kms from working all over the place..hence no tow vehicle right now for the boat..will have one for sure for spring time..this season sucked for getting the boat out..lol,been doing most of my fishing at my trailer for the summer with working in Ottawa area and stuff, so my 14 foot tinner got lots of use for sure,2-3 days a week since spring pretty much..the bigger boat different story, only been out a few times on that all season :lol: , oh well I guess that just means less hours on the motor for this year :Gonefishing:

Archived