Solo Morning on the trib

durkin09

Well I had last thursday morning off from school so I decided to hit up a favourite trib to see if any steel or brownies had made their way in yet. Got to the stream to find low and crystal clear water, not a good way to start the morning. Started walking and I could see a salmon sitting upriver at the head of a pool. Made a few casts and not even a sniff, I figure he got spooked by the high clarity and size of my leader, so I changed to a 6lb fluoro and put a #14 hook on to try and fight the high visibility. Moved on upriver as I’m sure that fish was in lock-jaw now. Got to one of my favourite pools, which had a lot more water in it than I expected. First drift and float goes down, set the hook and drag started screamin’. Fish took me up the set of rapids above the pool but I wanted to land it in the pool I was in, so I didn’t follow it upstream. Eventually coerced her back down into the pool and she took off downstream, down another set of rapids. I still hadn’t got a very good look at it but I knew by now it was a salmon. Followed her down stream and eventually beached her after a good 20 minute battle.

01400014.jpg

Light line and big fish make for some fun and technical battles. I didn’t weigh/measure but looks to be about 15lbs, real nice looking for this time of year and still chalk full of eggs. I quickly released her and she took off downstream. Went back to the pool for another half an hour without any luck so I moved on upstream. Got to another pool and first drift had this little guy on.

01400015.jpg

I thought it was a brown at first but that was just wishful thinking, just a little salmon. I continued upstream and lost one smaller salmon and broke off on another big one that took me into some branches in the water. Then I went back down river, as I had to go back to school soon so I tried the big pool where I got the first fish. After a few drifts, float goes down again and drag started peelin’. This one didn’t give me as much trouble but still a good fight.

01400016.jpg

A nice male salmon, possibly her spawning partner? Anyway, he was released as well and took off no problem. Overall it turned out to be a pretty good day, although I didn’t catch or even see any browns or bows. Water temps are still too high, it is getting’ colder though so it won’t be long! Good fishing.

hey durkin .... sorry i missed you last time bud . HEY I KNOW THAT SPOT :blahblah1::blahblah1:

with the colder temps we should be into those bows and browns anytime now !!!

hopefully we can hook up next time for a fish or 3 :P

joe and pauline

Hey joe, for sure we can hook up sometime soon. I have different days and different times off from school so gimme a heads up as to when your free and i'll see what I can do. The bows and browns are definately moving now with this cold weather, maybe some snow on the way soon.

ya I would be into that for sure, just have to figure a good time that works with me and the wife's schedules..I fish trout all winter so, doesn't matter to me if it's cold..snowy.or whatever..troutin isn't even well under way yet, lots of time for that :blahblah1:

I don't mind doing some travelling to get into some really nice fish..and if you are up to it in the winter..or over the next few weeks Durkin to make the trip out my way, I will be making alot of missions down in the Niagara Glen areas for some shore action as well..in a few weeks..lakers and steelies :blahblah1:

Archived