Port D Question.

Mike Pike

Ok, so I started fishing Port D about 3 years ago( I know, a newbee by most of your standards ). But at that time, a good fishing fellow around 'The Princess' recommended that I cut my teeth by fishing down by 'The Wllows." It's downstream on the west side and it was great advice because it was an area of fewer snags and there were some fish to be had down there.

Although it was only 3 years ago, it seems like a life time ago. Does anyone fish down that way anymore? I don't and I don't see too many people fishing down that far anymore.

So I'm wondering, is this because there is no more current down there because of the hydro changing the flow on the river? Will it ever return??? It sure seemed like there was a lot more productive shore fishing areas a few years ago then there is now.

I was talking about that spot today Mike Pike ! It's another good spot and the current picks up because of the funnel effect . I fished there with a couple of guys who fished that area regularly & got some nice browns & bows , some on roe & minnows with corkies . It is better as the days get colder .If the wind is not good , you can go to the east side & get a decent drift with not too many hang ups .

During the last season winter monthsof 2007, I do decent on the willow, and avoided the crowd as you mentioned, less hang ups, but we do occasionally get some hang ups for I used jig heads on 3" black grub.

Nothing beats closer to the faster current not too far from the dam, and if the water is just release, it can also be unfishable.

Guest canadadude

Come on down and fish dude 6 for 7 today with 4 real sweet rainbows and 2 brownies....22 trout landed since Monday and forget the run on lost fish but it's close to 35 or more .........god i luv port d :D:D:P

Guest canadadude
During the last season winter monthsof 2007, I do decent on the willow, and avoided the crowd as you mentioned, less hang ups, but we do occasionally get some hang ups for I used jig heads on 3" black grub.

Nothing beats closer to the faster current not too far from the dam, and if the water is just release, it can also be unfishable.

the fish are current oriented now when winter hits they go for the slower drifts , where they are hitting now and where they hit in January are 2 different spots!!!! Right now we hook-up in current mid winter is another story!! Steelheading is a science on it's own! :D:D

Thank you for that advice, guys. I'm starting to realize that perhaps the reason I haven't been down to that spot in the last few years or seen many folks there is because I'm primarily ice fishing when it seems like the fishing picks up at the willows.

I'll be spending more time at the Port D this winter and I'll be paying closer attention to the seasonal changes of the fish.

Archived