Albino Whitetail Deer

F,O,G

This was sent by a man in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

A very eventful day around here... A once-in-many-lifetimes experience! I saw this lil' feller run out in front of a car-- thought it was a lost baby goat. Stopped to get it, and WOW!! A real Albino Whitetail Deer. Just hours old, but doing fine. No Momma deer around. Another car nearly hit it in front of me ...

Well, he is THE neatest thing any of us ever saw. And such a 'freak of nature'; only one in more than a million are ever born. He took his bottle of food, followed us around the house, and is doing great. So, we called the Zoo & Fossil Rim, who were both interested, but we're going to send him to a rehab farm. Maybe he will make it in captivity somewhere and be appreciated. So rare... Sure wanted to keep him though but it's not the thing to do.... not LEGAL either. Here are a couple of pictures to show you. He was snow white, pink eyes, ears, nose and hooves. Kids called him POWDER. He was SO small. That is my shoe lying beside him. WOW! How cool is that??

albinodeer.jpg

Just for the heck of it – your friend should contact the paper for a slice-of-life photo

I’m sure many would love to see this gem.

I agree with him that rehab is the best for this little guy. Even if he keeps him – he would have to leave at some point. They can still visit him later.

I don’t think that when it matures it could be set free because it would be too much of a target. For predators and ‘trophies’.

Thanks for sharing.

That sure is a rarity ! Very godly looking like creature ! I wonder if it's eyesight is ok , heard that pink eyes mean it is blind......not sure on that . And I think the predators , man or beast would prey on this unique animal ,so a rehab farm might be the best place for the fawn .

especially after reading stuff like this.......

Albino deer killed illegally in Wisconsin

Chicago Sun-Times, Dec 2, 2005 ASHLAND, Wis. -- The shooting of an albino buck deer has irked some Bayfield County residents, and authorities are considering criminal charges in the matter.

It's illegal to shoot albino deer in Wisconsin.

No hunter had an excuse for shooting the deer because "there's no brown on him at all," said Linda Krajenka, an upset Cable resident who with other neighbors admired the albino buck for nine years, almost like a pet.

Mark DiSalva, a warden for the state Department of Natural Resources, said the deer was shot Nov. 21 in the Cable area near Crystal Lake.

Archived