No anti-harassment laws?

Dan Andrews

OFAH FILE: 842

December 6, 2007

For Immediate Release

Angler harassment is MNR issue

O.F.A.H. calls on MNR to enforce Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act

The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (O.F.A.H.) challenges the recent claim by a Ministry of Natural Resources spokesperson that there are no anti-harassment laws within the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA).

Section 13 of the provincial Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act clearly states that it is illegal to obstruct or interfere with lawful fishing, hunting and trapping. Regulations for each of these activities are published by the MNR and specify how the Act is to be enforced. The O.F.A.H. believes that any harassment of anglers and hunters engaging in their sport constitutes interference as defined by the Act.

"The O.F.A.H. supports the Canadian Sportfishing Industry Association's demand that the MNR act to fulfill its mandate for enforcement of the fishing regulations under the FWCA," said Greg Farrant, O.F.A.H. Manager of Government Relations and Communications. "We fought hard to enshrine in law, protection for hunters, trappers and anglers from interference or obstruction. For the MNR to suggest that harassment does not constitute interference or obstruction is unacceptable and a clear admission that they are not fulfilling their obligation to Ontarians."

Conservation officers are the first point of contact concerning fish and wildlife related incidents. If upon investigation, they determine that a physical assault or violence has occurred, then the O.F.A.H. agrees that the matter should be turned over to police. Minister Cansfield has called for "…conservation officers to continue with their enforcement and to follow through".

"Underfunding is a long standing issue for the Ministry of Natural Resources. It's critical that the government provide the necessary resources in support of Conservation Officers to enable them to enforce the regulations," Farrant added.

With over 82,000 members and 655 member clubs, the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is the leading fishing, hunting and conservation organization in Ontario. For more information visit www.ofah.org.

-30-

Contact

Lezlie Goodwin

O.F.A.H. Communications Coordinator

(705) 748-6324 Greg Farrant

Manager, Government Relations

(705) 875-0274

Guest canadadude

I kinda take any harassment abuses into my own hands nobody gets away with harassing the dude without swift confrontations.......I don't always win but I get my point across real quick :worthy::)

A simple act of throwing rocks in the water to deter (bother-harass) fishermen is against the law and the harassers can be punished . But catching the offenders in the act would be rare , thus proof would be hard to get .....like many other cases . Like most court cases , the offenders have the upper hand because it's too hard to have a solid case......too many holes for lawyers to find ways of escaping......

Archived