Not So Happy New Year

Dan Andrews

Well my Son and I headed out today for one final deer hunt. The deer have been passing our stands every night but don't seem to stick around for our company. There were plenty when the grass was green but as the land transformed so did their habits. Although we have no meat in the freezer we have something more valuable. Knowledge. I can honestly say we learned a load this year.

Highlights include a hawk that nearly attacked my Sons leafy hat, 2wice, the little buck that wouldn't leave my stand because I wanted a bigger deer, and all the hard work Dustin and I put into hanging stands, cutting shooting lanes, bating, tracking and generally trying to figure out what the heck we were trying to do. As this was our first year for both of us we didn't need feel silly for trying anything as we had the property for ourselves.

Legal shooting time ends today around 5:15 but we quit early due to a friendly neighbor on his ATV who came out to wish us a happy new year. He knows nothing about hunting either. Well we've got our licenses for 2008 so there's 2 months of rabbit hunting but I think we'll be spending some time on the Lower River now for trout. I have a really dirty hunting truck to clean tomorrow as we went mudding tonight after getting kicked out of our stands.

Well hopefully the new year will bring Dustin and I some new toys (12 gauges) and a freezer full of knowledge.... er I mean meat! Seeya next year NFN. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Hey Dan, I am sure you and Dusty had some great bonding time together out in the feild, and right from the get go when you first took him to the safety/hunting courses...I already know that your family treasures the values that the great out of doors can bestow upon us.

I am sure you both learned alot together and about each other in your quest, you cannot really look at it as an unsuccessful season, I am sure if you reflect back on it...you could have taken a deer along the way, but you chose not to...who knows..you may have even seen a prime buck out there, looked at the magnifigance of one of these kings of the forest, and for your own rerason just stopped to admire the animal and not shoot it anyways.

Best wishes to you all in the new year..and if you are deciding to change tactics a bit and turn your heads toward getting out for winter trout on the big river, you should bring the boat out and tag along on any of the many adventures I will be making with a few guys over the next while...you already know everyone are pretty good guys and solid die hard anglers, and we will happily help people like you get into some fish :)

Guest canadadude

Congrats on a great year Dan :):lol::lol: ......you may not of put meat in the frezer, but the time you and your son spent out in the bush is worth it's weight in gold!! The time you spend watching nature go by....the time you spend bonding with your son ......the time you spend learning the habits and such of your game is what it's all about :):) , of course I as well as you would like to you see bag a deer but I think the enjoyment you had this season has been fantastic, don't worry dudes those bucks will be around next season and you'll be alittle smarter :lol: ......and so may they :lol::)

In all fairness your first season was in a tough year. The unstable weather made it a tough go for a number of well seasoned hunters this fall. Usually we swap perch for venison amongst the guys. Not this year.

No shame in a good effort. Secondly, every outing should teach you something, now and 10 years from now. Kudos for the effort :)

Hey Dan,

What you described sounds exactly like my 2006 season. With a few lessons learned, 2007 was a lot more successful; no monster bucks but some venison in the freezer. I still made some major blunders though. With each experience, whether good or bad, we hopefully take something away that makes us better hunters. That's great to hear that you and your son share time hunting together. He will cherish the mentoring you are giving him.

Happy New Year!

Archived