tackle stores

Guest cplummer

who has the best tackle store in niagara region?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. who has the best tackle store in niagara region?

• gill finigans
    • fishmaster
    • Fish'n Niagara
    • fishingworld
    • canadian tire
    • dominion bait and tackle
    • peter's
    • Grimsby Tackle
    • Erie Tracker

I used to go to Rasso in Welland . Last thing I bought there was an 11 1/2 ft Browning noodle rod that broke just above the centre while casting a small lure . He told me to mail it back to Browning & they may replace it ? :P I fixed it myself by inserting a piece from an old pole with epoxy ...looks like hell, but works! Now , I just go to my nearest tackle shop (Peters) .I would like to help keep our locals thriving against all the big competitors like C.T and Wall Mt. who sell all that cheap garbage like Red Wolf & South Bend .

Guest vidarling

Hey Cliff,

Nice question, Are you trying to start something. :P

I have been to most and found them all helpful and well stocked.

I would not rate any of them higher than the others. Prices may vary but that is the same with every retail store.

Location and proximity to where I will be fishing that day is usually the deciding factor in my purchases.

Cheers and good luck with the walleye!

Ian

I don't care wich one is the best, but if you buy your fishing stuff at the big chain stores you could put your local tackle store out of bussiness, and then where will you go to get live bait, specialty tackle, and most importantly info. Support your local tackle store even if you have to pay a premium for the same stuff that the big stores sell. It's in your best interest or you'll be driving even further to find a good one.

The Jeffer.

cplummer : Look's like you forgot to add GRIMSBY TACKLE , if your going to have a pole you should include all tackel shops in the niagara region :angry2: just my 2 cents Rob

Is Chuck's Pro Tackle in Port Colborne (off West St.) still open? The last time that I went by there the shop was closed for some time, and I noticed a sign that the building was for sale.

If he is open how is his prices and selection?

Thanks,

Chris.

Guest Eyelike2fish

I don't go to any of the mentioned stores because I am not in Niagara but I do support my local tackle store. He is more expensive then Walmart and CT but he knows his stuff. I can call him anytime and find out where to go, what to use, how to rig, get tips an so on. I can't answer what store is better but I do know that people like and gill seem to be two great guys. They offer advice and seem willing to please there customers. I see takes the time to update reports on Dunnville almost daily that we benifit from. Personally I think any tackle store that is still in business with the pressure of the Walmarts and CT's must be geared towards customer satisfaction or they wouldn't be around. So who is the best??? Not sure....don't really care....but if I am in the area and need some equipment or supplies I will pay those two a visit before I visit the Mega Stores.

Steve

Well, personally my favorite is Caledonia Bait and Tackle because it is close to where i live and the owner is a hell of a guy who will try pretty hard to get whatever it is that you need. He can't get exactly everything but pretty dam close. As for Canadian tire..........usually they're not bad but my local CT has screwed me over 3 times lately and as the Duke always says 3 strikes and yur out. So they lost my business (as if it matters to them).

Duke

Cliff

If your gonna put me up there at least put the right name Fishin Niagara.

:Gonefishing:

Did you pick up your tickets yet?

8249[/snapback]

QUOTE(smerchly @ Jan 28 2005, 10:43 AM)

I used to go to Rasso in Welland . Last thing I bought there was an 11 1/2 ft Browning noodle rod that broke just above the centre while casting a small lure . He told me to mail it back to Browning <snip>]

Johnny Raso (JR's Outdoors) is a straight shooter and an HONEST guy. Unfortunately, the company reps usually dictate the return policy. I worked for a while as a store clerk for an independent owner. We tended to support the Shimano line of rods. Several times a week we would have anglers come in with a broken rod that they claimed was trashed fighting a trophy catch. 9 times out of 10 they would end up admitting that they broke it on trying to free a snagged lure. No difference....we gave them an over the shelf replacement and sent them home happy...and a repeat customer. Shimano then institituted the rule that the rod would have to be sent to their headquarters (yes...typically Toronto ). This meant that the angler would be without his rod for the standard (6-8 week) processing period. In the middle of Summer this really forced the angler to buy a new rod to stay in the action.

I really believe that anglers should support their local tackle stores. I mean think about it.........when is the last time someone asked a WalMart clerk what lures are hot right now, or the best fishing holes? Sure you might pay an extra buck or two at the independent stores.....but the tips they can give is priceless. For the over-worked minions out there (I am one of them) : time=money.

In summary, support your local indepedent tackle dealer. They have the latest fishing tips and are eager to pass them on. Don't be sidetracked by prices that are a dime or two less than your indepedent dealer. There is a reason why the indepedent dealer exists.......he/she knows their stuff and isn't afraid to talk fishing.

Good Luck,

Chris.

(Technosis)

Guest vidarling

Hey,

One more to add, Erie Trackers in Port Colborne.

Was there yesterday, friendly service and had everything I needed.

Might as well be fair to all!

Ian

Guest cplummer

i'm sorry denis my bad. I wanted to put this poll up just to show that using tackle shops that give personal attention will always prevail over the large chain stores that don't give a crap about the people that buy from them UNLIKE or local tackle shops that do care.. so this poll shows that you tackle store owners are tops with fishermen so i have accomplished exactally what i wanted ..

cliff...

I get my live bait from Pete's... *most* of my gear from Gill Finigans.... and Fishin Niagara is one that's 45min away from me, but i will make attempts to get up there and support Denis as much as time/money/needs allows....

I prefer Gill's and Denis' place 'cause they'll sit and shoot the %^** with ya' for a while, spent 3 hrs yesterday at gills place and met Charlie when he showed up aswell.... so those 2 places, for me, are great places to sit and chit chat, get great deals and meet other local guys who frequent this board.... i gotta get up to see Denis again in the near future, hopefully week after next.... unless he's gonna come out to our meet and greet?

top notch service from both places... and i'll only stop at CTC or Wally world if i need something for a few bucks (swivels/hooks)...

i'm sorry denis  my bad. I wanted to put this poll up just to show that using tackle shops that give personal attention will always prevail over the large chain stores that don't give a crap about the people that buy from them  UNLIKE or local tackle shops that do care.. so this poll shows that you tackle store owners are tops with fishermen  so i have accomplished exactally what i wanted ..

cliff...

8260[/snapback]

Cliff,

I agree with you 100%. You wrapped it up perfectly! :Gonefishing: Using your local indy tackle store will always prevail over the nameless, faceless chain stores !

Much Respect,

Chris.

(Technosis)

Archived