Hand Auger

Guest Brad_c

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have a had a problem with the alignment of your hand augers??? I bought a new one last month, it is a Swede-Bore 6 inch... and all of the sudden I went to use it and I could see that it was out of alignment... is it screwed for good now or is there something I can do to fix it??? anyone else have this problem or heard of it???

Brad :P

Some of the new augers are Two handed ones, the top hand grip isn't for pushing down it is for turning, the best analogy that I can think of is that its more like the pedals on a bicyicle as opposed to the way that a socket speed wrench works. I see guys all the time using the new two handed ones like the old one hand turn ones while the other hand push'es down. Its funny to watch because the blade wobbles all over the place. You will need about 2 minutes of practice but once you get the hang of it they drill holes faster.

I have gotten the hang of it... ive been using it for two weeks no problems, then i went to use it like i said and it wont start drilling it just spins and moves all over... and yes it is a two handed auger.

Sounds to me like either dull blades or more likley an ice build-up right between the blades or behind one of the blades that is contacting the ice and preventing the blades from digging into the ice. That happens to me all the time when the air temp is this cold. Unless you have bent a blade, drilled holes in ice that has lots and lots of sand mixed in it, drilled right through the ice and hit solid ground or a rocky bottom its probably not dull yet.

Guest erie_guy

If you find a cure for a bent auger let me know because I have one sitting in my garage. Before I realized what was happening a couple of my buds had grabbed my auger and wre drilling through an old hole. They got to the bottom and jammed the auger. It wouldn't go down or come back up. Finally, between 3 of them they managed to get it back up. That was the last hole that auger ever drilled. Here's another tip: always keep the guard on the auger when transporting it. If the cutting edge of the blade gets dinged and rolls over, or gets chipped in the wrong place its game over as well. This is quite dicouraging when you drive some distance, walk a ways out on the lake and then realize you can't drill through the ice. And believe it or not I've had people refuse to drill a hole for me with their fancy gas auger, even after offering to pay them for it. Then more walking to find an individual that isn't morally bankrupt. :angry2:

I remember when I bought my first auger (Swede bore) not a two hander. It came with a couple of shims that are meant to go between the auger blade and the mounting plate. Now, this is getting into precision cutting parameters. But it is vital that both blades are cutting at the same time and not one leading the other. If one leads the other, your drill will want to wander. You will have a very hard time starting a drill that is wandering. If you have access to some precision measuring tools like what you'd see in a machine shop, you may be able to line up and shim your blade to get it to cut. It will never cut like new, but you should be able to get it to a working condition.

Now, this might sound mean, but it's something that you need to live by. DO NOT lend your auger to anyone. No matter what! I've watched guys hammer augers on the ice trying to get them to start. All it takes is one hit on the unsupported blade and you will have a condition like Erie guy describes, a bent auger. If someone asks if they can borrow your auger, say "sure, but we're gonna drill the holes together." Get it started, then tell the stranger to put his hands on yours and work together and you'll plow three of four holes through a foot and a half in 30 seconds a piece. You'll barely break a sweat. Me and my buddies drill all our holes two guys at a time. Trust me, we can go fast, we'll drill a dozen holes in 5 minutes and no one is sweating.

Also, to reinforce what Erie guy says, DO NOT try to open up an old hole with a hand auger. For some reason, they get jammed when breaking through and you can break a blade or bend a mount plate. Always start a new hole and you should be fine.

And remember, it's not about power with these things, it's about speed. Start it slow, let the auger center itself. No need to push down on the ice once it's started, just keep it vertical, steady and moving fast. Let your sharp un-touched blades do the work!!

Guest erie_guy

Goby, you burn through ice that quick!? I've got a Normark (always have) and I have never been that quick. Maybe I should switch brands? I have to admit my first model was the best (the one that got buggered up - naturally), this second one never seemed quite as quick. I just put it down to getting older (did I say that!?), and a shoulder injury. I'd love to get the chance to compare. Thinking of taking the kids to BBC tomorrow morning. I'll be the one with 2 young boys complaining because the fishing isn't as good as Simcoe!

Thanks for your advice and posts guys i appreciate it... even though now i realize my auger is officially screwed, thanks goby i may take your advice and do some measurements. come to think of it i did drop it once last week and that probly messed it up, looks like im gonna have to buy a new one and ill have to be more careful with it...

i will let u guys know if i can come up with a solution to fix the bent auger...

Brad

Could it be possible to find out which blade is not cutting as much as the other by turning it in clean ice and watching closely? I check my auger sometimes to make sure both blades are cutting equally . Then you could put shims under the blade not cutting as much to true them up again . Maybe worth a try before buying a new one.....Make sure the blades are very sharp & have no burrs or nicks too . I got a little Scotch in me....so I would be getting the last gasp out of my auger first ! :angry2:

Hi guys,

I am a first time owner of a manual auger. Just wondering what you guys do to keep it in top notch condition for many years. I've heard some people have their hand auger for over 10 yrs. That's a heck of an investment if I can keep an $80 purchase for 10 yrs.

Thanks

Hey Smerchly,

I did look at the blades to see which one was not cutting, and it was the one which is unsupported by the corkscrew... might try and shim it

Hey a funny thing happend to me on the weekend, went all they way out at long point and my auger wasn't working changed to my spare set of blades and it still didn't work very well. it wandered all over was reall difficult and took ages to drill a hole, the hole was really big and the edges were rough. This morning I put the auger in the lathe at work to check it and I found that it was bent up the main shaft and one of the blades was bent up as well. I think that I have straightened it and will give it a try tonight. The last hole that it was used on was my buddy being to lazzy to start a new one and jammed it through an old frozen over hole. I guess that they are more fragile than I had realized and we should forget about my prior posts about ice build-up (which happens to me) and the two handle crank stuff (which I learned about the hard way). P.S. If after I test it, mine works. I wouldn't mind checking others and possibly fixing them. There would be NO charge and NO gaurantee, you would have to get it to me.

Hey Killer,

The same thing happened to me... sounds like the exact symptoms, and when I turn it i can see that the shaft is bent and it tends to walk all over the place. what brand is yours??? i bought a new one anyways and im going to be much more careful with it. How long have you had yours and how are you going to straighten it on a lathe???

Brad

Mine is a Jiffy" about ten years old but some years I didn't get out fishing, the last few years it's got alot more use.

I put the main shaft in the lathe chuck and rotated it by hand with the lathe in neutral. I then brought the lathe tool up to the tip of one of the blades then I rotated the chuck 180° and compared the tip of that blade to the lathe tool. On a perfect auger in a perfect world they should of both been in the exact same spot.

I then checked in a few other spots along the blade and compared them to each other to try and get a feel for what was bent and where. After I felt that I had the bends figured out I started bending the blade that wasn't attached to the snow removal flute until it was at the same angle and position as the blade that is welded to the snow flute, rotating it and comparing the two blades after every adjustment to check on my progress. I went down to Bronte at lunch and it worked much better I actually drilled through about 12-14" of ice and only had to stop and rest once although I'm not totally happy with it yet It's much better than it was on Saturday, I'm going to sneek out into the shop this afternoon and see if I can't get it a little bit better. I wasn't sure how close to being perfect was close enough and I don't know how close they are new, right out of the box, Although it can never be to good I guess.

Just to clarify for Erie Guy, when you have two guys drilling one hole (double the power on the auger) you can get the blades turning fast and get through a foot of ice in no time. We have been using my buddies old Normark Swede bore with fairly new blades. Works OK, but drilling through on you own is tiring. MY Swede bore is past it's prime and I finally decided to retire it. It got to a point where you'd drill one hole in about 2 or 3 minutes and then sit down hyperventalating for 20! So yesterday, I bought an 8" finnbore. Tried it for the first time yesterday. It is by far a much better auger than the Swede bore. I was amazed at just how easily I cut through a foot of ice.... If you're thinking about buying your first auger or replacing a dud any time soon, bite the bullet and spend an extra $20-$30 and buy a Finn bore, your arms will thank you.

A warning to anyone thinking about bending the blades and mounts on their augers. Most of the components are welded and bending the welds/ framework will weaken the auger. So, it will likely bend back to the same spot it was before after a little use. Use shims to align the blades. It's a lot easier and much more precise.

One last thing, never ever touch the blades with anything but ice or a cloth. Skin cuts like butter, and metal quickly damages the blades. Keep the cover on at all times. And I know I said this before, NEVER LEND IT TO ANYONE!!!

Shims will only work in one of the many dimensions that the auger may be misaligned in,and unless you have a lot of different shims good luck trying to find the right fit. and yes the auger is welded and yes repeated bending will cause the metal around the welds to work harden leading to metal fatigue and will eventually lead to cracks and even breakage if you continue to bend and rebend it. Its not the wing of an airplane full of people, its an ice drill. On Saturday I couldn't cut a hole and today I can.

Guest erie_guy

GOBY: Thanks for the clarification. I've probably been cutting alot faster, just doesn't seem like it when the sweat starts running. Not a good way to start a cold day because an hour later I know I'll be cold.

KILLER: Good job on the "tune-up." If its not working you've got $80 worth of scrap metal. Even if it cracks or breaks at least you tried, and maybe learned something in the process. I'll see if I can dig mine out of the garage...Might not see me until spring! LOL

Life is not for the faint of heart. No disrespect intended to anyone.

Well thanks for all your input guys, ive got an old lathe in the garage and i might check and see how everything lines up. I sharpened the blades a bit on it and it seemed to work better than before its still "walking" all over the place...

Brad

Archived