Tagged rainbow caught in Port Dalhousie

blue top

Hi everyone was at port today to try some trouting few were caught not by me,imet a couple fishermen from credit today all was slow then i seen the 1 guys rod bend i mean bend i knew it was something good after about 15 minutes of a hard fight we seen it a nice bow great netting job by his buddy about an 8lber nice clean bow except we noticed a yellow tag attached to its side it said credit river anglers he recorded the number and the phone number on the tag to call

It was cool to think that this bow followed these guys to port d for him to catch frm his home in credit

that's pretty cool, specially if it was in fact a fish that travelled that far..I know the Credit River Angler's Assoc. is involved with stocking efforts , the classroom hatchery mentoring program I am in the midst of trying to set up with a couple people right now is involved in areas of the credit river, and that is where they plan on stocking the Atlantics, and Bows in thier projects.

When someone gets a tagged fish and they report the numbers to the MNR or whatever contact it may say on the tag...they can get a whole history of where the fish came from..where it was tagged,size at the time,sex ect... it's pretty cool. I learned that when volunteering with the MNR in the spring jaw tagging and PIT tagging walleye.

maybe that fish was one of those million dollar fish from a derby a few years ago :dunno::lol::rolleyes:

Hey blue top was that you casting to our right with the spoons? You just got back from getting coffee if I remember when I hooked that trout. I send the info to credit river angler. Here is the fish that had the tag. It was a tough fish that day but we managed 2 this bow and a brown and I missed 2 others.

I also got an email back for the Credit Rivers Anglers and here is what they had to say:

Thank you for the tag report.

Guess she got lost!

It was a female, 64 cm according to our records, tagged April 20, 2007 at

the Streetsville Fish Ladder by CRAA volunteers and transferred up the

Credit past Norval by trailer to spawning grounds.

Thanks for releasing her.

John Kendell,

President, CRAA

That fish is a long way from home.

Nice day fishing with you ntic32. It was also great to meet the perch crew Harry, Bill and Bigfoot.

Too bad we couldn't land more of our hook ups that day but maybe next time.

That is very interesting info on how far that fish migrates to spawn and that it made it back down the Credit in one piece.

Hope next time were out the construction guys are gone and the current is out and that Bluetop can get all his spoons back. :D:dunno:

Hey blue top was that you casting to our right with the spoons? You just got back from getting coffee if I remember when I hooked that trout. I send the info to credit river angler. Here is the fish that had the tag. It was a tough fish that day but we managed 2 this bow and a brown and I missed 2 others.

I also got an email back for the Credit Rivers Anglers and here is what they had to say:

Thank you for the tag report.

Guess she got lost!

It was a female, 64 cm according to our records, tagged April 20, 2007 at

the Streetsville Fish Ladder by CRAA volunteers and transferred up the

Credit past Norval by trailer to spawning grounds.

Thanks for releasing her.

John Kendell,

President, CRAA

That fish is a long way from home.

thats the bow thanks for sending us back the info on the fish

Nice bow ntic32 ! It's great to see these fish visiting old "Port Daloozie" , maybe following the bait fish from the middle of the lake . I wonder if some of these fish have made their way to other tribs or to the Niagara River . It would be interesting to see a list of where some of these tagged trout have travelled . With the new micro technology , they should be able to track tagged fished by satelite and know exactly where they are ! Thanks for the picture & info......I'll have to try that spot some day ........ :rolleyes:

it is pretty cool, I know some of the walleye that we PIT tagged in the spring they can keep track of when they go through fish ladders that have a tag reader, and they are also so that the commercial; fishermen can helpthe MNR keep tabs on the fish, they have a PIT tag reader that they can wave over thier hold of fish and it will pick up and record any fish that have a PITtag in side. Last year in the stats we got back from the MNR one walleye was traced back many km's away and was first captured and tagged in the year 2000..the MNR writes down if a fish is a re-capture meaning had a previous jaw tag and then goes back and checks up on the background info of the fish.

Archived