Ramey's bend smelt

Guest dannyboy

Guest dannyboy

We went out today to Ramey's bend (Port Colborne on the canal) fishing smelt, had an awesome day, caught several hundred smelt, we all had a great time and met some wonderful people.

When we got home my 11 year old daughter offered and help me clean the fish and did a great job. Some guy is going to get a great wife (but a miserable SOB as a father-in-law)

BTW she has a brown belt in karate

lol

Dan

Guest vidarling

Hey Scotty and Danny,

I was out there on Saturday with the boys. (4 and 2) we caught about 100 of them kept 75. Only one of them was any size. (6 or 7 inches) The rest were all small and real tough to fillet. 75 cleaned was enough for 2 tasty frying pans full.

Lots of fun for the boys. Went out again this morning on a pond off of Lake Gibson and got skunked. Was still a beauty day.

Take Care,

Ian

Guest dannyboy

The smelt averaged 5" - 6", the action was non-stop, a few guys there had 500-600 fish.

The kids would kneel right down at the hole and watch the smelt swim by, and hit their baits.

Dan

Guest vidarling

I think I got you on that one Tommy! :Gonefishing:

They were great with a little bit of ketchup! A different flavour for the little guys, they would rather had a pan full of bluegills or perch.

Cheers,

Ian

Guest erie_guy

They have a much better flavour if they are filleted. Simply leave them overnight in the fridge, then the next day use your fingernails to fillet them - quite easy once you get the hang of it.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's we used to clean literally hundreds of them this way. 6 or 7 family members would sit down and make a production line. The first night was scaling and cleaning. The second night was filleting and cooking. My grandparent's house and fish-house (he was a commercial fisherman) used to be located were the St. Catharines Game and Fish launch is now, and one year I can remember gettting a bushel in one pull of the dip-net. Say 'hello' salmon - 'goodbye' smelt. :blush: No more family get-togethers like that.

Guest dannyboy

Salmon;

Ramey's bend is part of the Welland canal just north of Port Colborne.

We crossed the canal heading east on hwy #3 and took the first left heading north, you go through a stop and the inlet is on the left.

good luck

Dan

Salmon;

Ramey's bend is part of the Welland canal just north of Port Colborne.

We crossed the canal heading east on hwy #3 and took the first left heading north, you go through a stop and the inlet is on the left.

good luck

Dan

8495[/snapback]

Dannyboy,

Is that where the Robin Hood Mill is in Port Colborne. If yes. is it on the side of the Hydro electric dam or the side where the ships go in and out of Lake Erie?

I fished their yesterday for the first time after hearing so much about it. Excellent place to take the kids or family if you want action you can see the smelt swimming around they will hit anything you drop down. I dont think you would even need an auger because it looks like their is always any empty spot. I would suggest small hooks and maggots but like i mentioned before i think anything works. Great spot I know I will be going back :blush: Thanks to those who told me about it :(

Guest vidarling

Hey IceCap,

It is opposite the Robin Hood Mill On the East side. It used to be an inlet for a ship building company. Looking North from the spot you can see the old Canal bridge in Dain City.

It must be about 30 to 40 feet deep since it was formerly used to launch boats.

As I have heard Tommy say before, where there is lots of bait there must be some larger game fish as well but I have yet to see anyone catch anything other than smelt.

Cheers,

Ian

Try a piece of bacon. When they bite it you just gently lift them. When you touch them to the ice they will let go. If they go after the split shot, just pinch a piece of cotton in it. When they bite it their teeth get caught in the cotton and up they come.

I beleive we have a sick puppy on our hands here... :worthy: These cold winters in Fort Erie kinda frost up the ole noggan a tad......or ...it just could be breathing in all them chemicals dissipating from the Niagara River , or even working in one of chemi.plants near by............Ya wouldn't eat the fish out of there too would ya? :dunno:

Archived