Exploring Short Hills

I know that we are "asked" to stay on the trails when hiking in Short Hills Provincial Park, but my sense of curiosity makes it hard for me to stick to yuppy walks. Do I risk the wrath of the Tilley Hat Nazi's if I start wandering and pick up a shed antler or two along the way? I'm talking about walking (not biking) off trail.

Ninepointer

• 1 month later...

I was there about a week ago, and the rules up on the bulletin board state that it is a $70 fine if you are caught off the marked trails, personally i see the deer doing far more dmg then any amount of ppl that visit. :worthy:

Some of the rarer flora in the bush are traffic sensitive. They are also trying to avoid the same mistakes of having multiple trails running in all directions. It tends to diminish the natural appearance. Some sections of the Bruce Trail have been sorely used by the more careless hikers.

Guest Stu Kerr

I mountain bike in Short Hills quite regularly, and my curiosity is also peaked as to what lies off the beaten path. I see others, hiking and biking, off the beaten path, but have never wandered off myself. Have seen several wander off on foot with a GPS in hand, and an empty knapsack, wonder what they're looking to crop??? lol :blink: As for the Tilley Hat Nazi's, I rarely see them in the woods, but have seen police in there both on bikes (the pedal kind) and on foot - not sure if they were on official 'business' or just passing time. As for the deer, I have seen tons right on the path (#2) while riding, and along the trail that follows the 12 mile creek down from Hydro hill.

Stu B)

• 2 weeks later...

The park has to be strict with the trails or the city folk will let there kids and pets walkin through the middle of sensitve spring feed trout streams (I,ve seen it!) or pickin triliums for there honey (I saw that last weekend and i think its illegal!)if you know the bush you know to tred lightly, but if the powers at be let people loose in nature theres always uneducated poeple who just dont know and a few who just dont care . they have been givin a lot of wanings but i have not heard of many fines? be carefull and take lots of pictures.

Its not illeagal to pick a Trillium contrary to popular belief it's a flower just like any other flower!!!

The White Trillium, native to Southern and Eastern Ontario, is still a protected species. The plants are delicate and do not adapt well to transplanting, or to the harvest of the leaves for salad, or to the picking of flowers.

Guest canada
The White Trillium, native to Southern and Eastern Ontario, is still a protected species. The plants are delicate and do not adapt well to transplanting, or to the harvest of the leaves for salad, or to the picking of flowers.

Sorry not a protected species!!!! They are not considered not good for human consumption, they were however used as an antiseptic by native peoples and early settlers!! They do have some medicinal properties!!! They do not transplant well but thrive in Southern Ontario's Sugar Maple and and Beech forests in can take up to 15yrs to achieve a flowering Trillium from seed!!!

However harvesting any natural species in a Provincial Park may be Illeagal.....not positive on that one!!!

Guest canada
Actually, they transplant reasonably well, just dig 'em up with lots of intact soil :worthy:

Put them in your Hardwood forest in the backyard :worthy:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived