Never know what you will catch out of the river....

scottydog

Went out to fish the Upper river for a few hours today... Casting jigs and finesse minnows... Hoping to catch a walleye or a trout... Well not much for me today..... Just after getting there Rockfish and Richard shows up.... Fish for a bit with no luck... Shoot the breeze and Richard had to bail.... So Dave and I plugged away .... Dave yells over he has one on.... Right on thinking maybe a walleye.....Not... But a nice 30" Muskie.. Cool... Quick pic taken and away she went.... Was a healthy little guy. Good to see.... That was it for us.... Good to see you guys again.... Here is a couple pics of Daves fish with a release shot.

Good fishing. Scottydog

1000766ta3.jpg

1000767cq7.jpg

1000768xo7.jpg

Nice markings on that ski Dave . Great to see those "little ones" , makes for a good future ski fishery ! Smurfo thinks you need to change your handle to " Pikeguru" ;)

Guest Rockfish

Good to see ya again Scotty since like last Fall at Rec. canal. Thanks for the landing job also, those secret jigs will catch just about anything in the river. Richard should have hung around for a while since we still had lots of daylight left. :mellow: Made sure that Ski got a good revival in the water for a few mins and then took off in a shot. I stayed for a while longer in the snow and nothing after that, water is still super clear in the upper river.

:unsure:

Looks like something took a bite out of it's tail.

That's "anal" Chills ..........sometimes Rocky gets carried away & gives the fish a little love bite ! :unsure:

Guest Rockfish

Papa smurf, you're drinking that wine wayyyyyyyyy too early in the morning or you're still feeling the effects from last night. :mellow:

Just so all the readers know Muskie are OOS fish right now until June and lots of incidental catches can happen when using a plastic jig, just like all the Bass that are caught accidently by various ways before the season opens.

The jig is not a secret, I was using a blk/sil 5" powershad on a 3/8 jighead and lots of guys will use the FinS minnows along the river.

when you say upper river, do you mean like ft erie? or? im not familiar with alot of the terms everyone uses on here, i pretty much just fish where i feel like driving that day, until recently when people ahve been telling me about regulations. i was previously under the assumption that regulations were there for those that kept the fish...

but anyways, i see alot of people saying upper river or toothys or terms like that and have no clue where they mean..

Guest Rockfish

Yep Fort Erie, go see Denis at Fishin' Niagara and he'll let u know a few spots in the area that are either producing or not. He's gone to the States right now for a fishing Tourney but his Mum at the shop can probably tell u what's been going on lately. His # is actually in a subforum on this page. :mellow:

Regulations do apply to everyone, even the under 18 and over 65 yrs old crowd. When we talk about Toothys, we are talking Pike, since Muskie don't open till June.

ahhh appreciate the info, i almost thought toothys were docks or something, haha like the pier's at port. Next time im up ft erie way ill stop in there, or when its a nice clear day, i dont go that way often so im not familiar with where things are there.

Scottydog, it was nice seeing you again also.

I forgot to tell you i was fishing with a big chub (at another spot earlier in the day) that i got from you at the Rec. canal way back in Oct at the showdown.

I washed that chub up and down the Rec. canal that day and didn't get a bite so i froze him and decided to use it for pike on the niagara and ended up washing him up and down the shores of the great niagara until he fell off. :wacko:

Do you have any more chubs you want me to wash for you, my lures are getting really shiny and clean. :blink:

Archived