SMELT FISHING

Guest ICECAP

I was at the the boat launch near the palmwood on thursday with some friends and it was my first time ice fishing for smelt and i was just using a tiny hook with one or two maggots on the tip of it... really easy to catch, altogether the three of us got 100 in an hour.

A guy told me on the ice at port dal. this morn.,he was at Remy's Bend,and the ice level has risen about 4 ft. and there was about 2-3ft of open water on the shore line . They have been getting lots of smelt there and I think you would be ok to put a wide plank to get on the ice to fish there. Maybe the water level will drop again but he said the water was stirred up from the rising water levels.

Just got thinking about the fluctuating water levels in the Welland canal....does anyone know where & why they would allow the water to rise so much .? Could it have something to do with the water backing up on Erie because of the ice jamming up above the falls? Do they warn people of this happening?

Guest dannyboy

We used a #14 hook with the barb bent down and a small piece of a chartreuse Gulp maggot, the chartreuse was nice because it was easy to see. Thread the bait up to the eye of the hook, leaving the hook well exposed.

Please be careful on the ice this weekend with the warm weather.

Dan

Archived