Dunnville Walleye or lack of

Jody

Well put in another four or five hours in on the Grand and all we have to show for it is a few smelts. It was enough to keep my wife occupied and that keeped her out there that long so I guess it was good. Did not get any hits and the only thing I marked was smelts from what it looked like. Not sure what happened to the walleye but I know that they have lots to eat there.

Jody

Guest bradley_p

i was at Dunnville today with a few guys let me tell you something the fishing sucks i think its a waste of time and money i have been out to dunnville about 6 times and had one good day of fishing not sure if im going into the tourament now

brad

Guest Jeetmuck

Thanks for the report Jody,

I was part of a group that went fishless...smelts we caught don't count B) ...today as well. The only saving grace was the company for some laughs and the fact that we got out to enjoy the weather.

Thanks,

Gene

Guest pikemasta13

Dont worry the walleye are there fishing will pick up in spring. A place in dunville that i fished a few years back was BING park there was damn and tons and tons of pickerel.!

Well.....using my calculatin, deductive reasonin....I think maybe them eyes are dinin on them smelt ! B) Can smelt bait be used in the derby ? ...even if you catch one right there ? Smelt seem to be everywhere under the ice this year . I would like to have a bunch to eat if they were bigger than the minnows!

Guest Big Bass Rich

Yeah smerchly I bet the eyes are there but they're just too full of smelt to even be looking at those wimpy little shiners. I think the key might be getting their attention with a big, bright bait that represents a dieing smelt. My friend came up with an idea today that just might win the derby.. but I'm not gonna let it out til after next Saturday! B)

Like said guys never give up on the walleye in dunnville ill be fishin the derby forsure this sat!! Me and BBr have a plan of attack!!!! might work might not!!! but yu have to think differnt patterns guys and locate the fish!! Give the fish something differnt to look at and yu never know yu might hook up with a derby winner!!! B) I myself like the challege of fishing and i rarely get bored if i dont get anything. Hope to see yu all out for the derby and always think postive guys never give up!!!

sleded

Smerchly,

Was a pleasure meeting you while the wife and I were out for a stroll in PD. Sure gave me the itch to dig out my noodle rod! PS...the hat gave you away!

All the best,

Jonathan LePera

Think your right ......who knows for sure what makes the fish bite ! I fished Port Dalhousie this morning in heavy fog, using roe, live minnows, twisters, and notta scratch!! We checked out the fish & game club flea market,had a coffee & hotdog, & went above to the Hendley grandstands area. There was a guy there with his Vex.,and the fish were comming right up to the bait , then just backed off... B) He checked out several holes....same thing.....fish there but no takers. It's gotta be all this air pollution! :lol: There's lots of smelt in there too, and some pike which can scatter the pan fish. Hope than moon thing is the answer !

Guest Eyelike2fish

Hey Smerchly. I ws at Port D fishing in this fog to. I didn't see much caught but there was one guy who landed 2 big browns and two big bows. 4 fish and they were all a nice size. As for me I had one good hit and that was it. Did you happen to notice all the minnows along the wall?

Steve

No Eyes....I didn't see any minnows....I couldn't see the water at my feet because the fog was so thick ! No , really ,I was on the east wall just north of the Yatch Club and I didn't see a minnow there, but would guess there are a few kazillion dozen minnows still there since the water was black with them into late fall. I tried live minnows for an hour,but they snubbed my offerings ! B) Picky,picky ......

Well myself,Bob the Builder,and Aldo. headed up to the river. After grabbing our Timmies we ventured out on the Ice by 6:30. We went to one of my holes and drilled six holes . The holes were scattered anywhere from 17ft. to 7ft. Within the first five minutes I hit a fish but only had him on for a few seconds. Through out the day we all had a few bumps but no takers. Marked alot of fish in some of my other spots that I know of. I also noticed alot of spot tail shiners mixed in with the smelts. Things could pick up in the following week noticed that the fish were getting alittle bit Interested with my offerings. If you guys haven't found out already walleye fishing through the ice can get quite challenging. I still believe that with that much forage right now in the river the walleye don't have to venture to far to get a meal. The fish right now are their,but are only sulking do to getting ready for the spawn and also drastic changes in Barometric pressure. Our winters this year have been very inconsistent where the fish haven't been able to adapt very well. I see that the weather is going to change by the weekend with some colder temps again this might be the catalist that you guys need to get them fish going. Here is a tip marked big hooks in the 8-7ft depths. Good luck to whoever enters the tourney. I have other commitments or else I would be entering.

Guest bradley_p

Nothing is beening cought in Dunnville for a long time. We was the last time someone caught a Walleye out of dunnville and can prove it with a pictures. When i was in dunnville on Saterday i talk to at least 40 guys out there and not one said that caught any walleye as i ask them that.

brad

Bradley P.

I think we all understand your frustration. But anyone that expects to go out and catch fish better think twice before slamming the place and trying to taint other peoples views. I've fished Dunville through the ice for three years. I've caught 1 respectable fish in all my time there. If you want to go drive 2 or more hours and fish Scugog, be my guest. I like the proximity of Dunville and the challenge of getting a fish out of a tough spot. Scugog is great, but the fishing is easy (by comparison to Dunville) Ever think that you (actually all of us) might be doing something wrong? Ever heard that walleye are nocturnal? Maybe we should be spending more time out there after the sun sets....

I was out on Sunday, fished in the derby area in front of Manness marina. I landed 1 smelt. I did however have some promising tugs trying a different jigging technique. This technique really shouldn't have worked at all. But it's been proven to trigger inactive bottom hugging fish. I'm not going to get into details, I plan on mastering this technique at the derby and winning some cash. I'll post a description next week, just for you Brad!!! Cheer up bud, you're not gonna catch one every time out. And when you finally do, it's gonna taste great!

I would have to agree with Goby. Scugog is a great fishery but the Grand is also. The difference between these two bodies of water is that one is a lake and the other a river. Through my past experience in guiding and Tournament fishing for walleye the river walleye are much harder to entice,being that you have current and fluctuating current. Yes this year has been tough for walleye but give it a chance things will pickup. Believe me there is walleyes in there . As a matter of fact I think

last year was probably my best year down their .

Heh Goby I was down by Mannes yesterday were you the one in the camo floater suit. We were the three amigos in orange having fun with the smelt.

Guest bradley_p

LOL i hope so i have fish dunnville for a long time and never had this much trouble caughting walleye out there i guess its just finding the fish and the weather plays a big role on the bite im going into the derby and i will be very happy to see a fish caught i hope to get one myself but with my luck latey its not going to happen lol good luck to everyone in the derby lets have fun guys. im going to try to get out one more time before the derby and try my luck

thanks brad

gregswalley12-28-04.jpg

Nothing is beening cought in Dunnville for a long time. We was the last time someone caught a Walleye out of dunnville and can prove it with a pictures. When i was in dunnville on Saterday i talk to at least 40 guys out there and not one said that caught any walleye as i ask them that.

brad

8972[/snapback]

Early ice Dec 28/04 was good for us we caught two small ones, but we havent made it back to dunnville in 2005 I will try to show this pic was in front of the Dam I believe around 16 fow

walleye12-28-04.jpg

Damm I hope that aint a derby winner. That looks like one of those storm lures is it?

9037[/snapback]

Gee cant remember the name I think thats what my friend called it, they have a rattler build in, we tiped it with a minnow, and jigging it just right, we just bought them before the trip down, both fish caught on the same lure. just after noon hr go figure lol

Well guy's what's the weather like in dunnville?

do you think we will still have safe ice for Saturdays main event not sure about driving down from cambridge now, it's been pretty warm and very wet here...

Jimbo

Ice is still fine and will be better by the weekend going to get cold once again.hope to see u all out  for this outing .

9078[/snapback]

Thanks for the report , I have to disscuss the derby with a buddy if we decide to come down can we get tickets sat morn, will you be at the store early, or should I call friday. thanks again Jimbo

Tickets will be on sale at the store till 7am Saturday for guys that cant make it down before the tourney.

9130[/snapback]

OK Thanks agian for your quick reply hope to see you there.

Jimbo

Archived