Sad......

Sometime during the early hours , another beaver was killed by a vehicle in front of the SCGFA on Lighthouse Rd. Last year one was found dead on Lakeport Rd. near Timmies . I believe this one was a female who has young nearby ...which will prob die as well . Sadly , beavers do not fit in in areas that are heavy populated . I am sure we lose many more animals on the roads than all the hunting combined , many from drivers going well over the speed limits , giving our wildlife little chance of escaping in time . I ask all reasonable , concered drivers to keep an eye out for animals crossing the road . We have heard of humans losing their life also when hitting larger animals at high speed . If the price of gas goes through the roof & in turn slows up driving speeds to conserve gas.......then I am all for it .

I never realized just how large these animals are & can see why they are such great swimmers above or below water .......

I hope the body is removed & not left to rot ......here's a pic of the tail & large webbed foot ....

hit%20beaver.jpg

well that is too bad Bill, I am very surprised at what seems to be a huge comeback in the beaver population in the Greater Niagara Area, I see beavers in alot of places and think it's kind of weird because I never saw any around when I was a kid.

Also alot of people may not even know there are so many around the region as you don't really see any of the "typical" signs of beavers like dams and huts, they seem to have adapted to hiding well in bank cover under rocks and such, there are a couple down in the Niagara Glenn area you wouldn't even know where there if you didn't see the fallen trees around or get the occasional peak..I have seen this for a few years now and unless you see it go into the rocks back home you would never be able to tell where they live.

I hate to see them die on the roads but they are becoming a nuisance & damaging & killing prime trees in residential areas . They do not have enough room in many places to be left in peace as they would have in the north . After talking with Canada today , trapping with more humane methods may become more common again to reduce their prolific numbers. Once again , man has taken away more of their territory to build housing and roam the forests with all sorts of land - water vehicles. Yes it was very sad to see this animal dead on the road , and I expect that more will meet this fate with so many more beavers crossing the roads during the night . When I drive to Fenwick to a buds home I always see the aftermath of the last few days of "roadkill" as we call it.......and it's not so nice to see the many birds & animals & turtles etc. that were killed (or wounded to die elsewhere) . The turkey vultures are becoming very tame when you pass them dining on a dead rabbit on the side of the road and hardley notice your truck going by them only 10 feet away........

Archived