Caught in the act

There was a question on this board as to whether the area by the apt in Dunnville would be closed off to anglers, well photos speak a 1000 words.

Here's the story behind the photo: I was uptop observing this group of youths horsing around and carrying on when one of them puts a lure up in the tree, that's fair enough we've all done it at one time or another, but what I saw next just made me shake my head in disbelief.

The kids on the ground below were shaking the tree violentally with this young boy in the tree, throwing stuff at him etc with no regard for his safety.

Dumb.jpg

Sure hope you set that straight.

awww i remember those days... EARTHQUAKE!!!! EARTHQUAKE!!!

boys will be boys, cant be a man without some boyhood scars to learn from!

The kids on the ground below were shaking the tree violentally with this young boy in the tree, throwing stuff at him etc with no regard for his safety.

Of course not, they're kids. We did similar stuff when that age. Besides that is how kids learn things, by making stupid mistakes.

Of course we did stupid things. Adventure, experiment, and learn from the consequences. Of course, there were a lot more consequences back then :D

Unfortunately, dying is a risk in most things foolish, and sensible. That is part of life. Many of us would have stuck our necks out 100 times or more before we were 18. Ever climb some big old tree to the top to find out, later, that it was dead?

That poor tree, can't see it lasting much longer as better then half its roots are exposed this year, it really got washed out this spring. If that kid had fallen and cracked his head open or if someone with some authority had seen those antics and decided it wasn't worth a potential lawsuit, I could definitely see a potential shutdown of the area. . My concerns about a potential shutdown of that area for fishing access however is just from word of mouth from a lot of locals who fish down there and I was just wondering about the whys and wherefores those rumours had originated as everybody just seems to have heard it from others who fish around abouts Dunnville.

I agree that kids have to suffer the cuts and bruises that life and adolescent stupidity deal out before they ever learn, however in this day and age of underemployed and overabundance of lawyers and of the abuse of laying lawsuits for even the stupidest of reasons, you see something like this its got to send a shiver down your spine when you contemplate the potential consequences. Every year you see some dumb kid running along the dam face or racing their jet ski up and around the bridge just above the dam and you just got to shake your head

I was up there yesterday evening to have a look at whether it would be fisheable or not seen one of the kids grabbing everybodies throwbacks and tossing them into that little contained area next to the sewer drain (is that a sewer drain by the way?). Kind of pissed me off and he just laughed at me when I told him he shouldn't be doing that. Two of the fish he tossed in there were small smallmouth (the others were sheepies) that he was told he couldn't take home because they were out of season and he just said to me they were garbage fish since nobody wanted them.....He didn't stop til another kid told him to...parents really ought to teach respect for our environment and our natural resources.

Especially after those intrusive apartments went up there are only the two tiny areas to have free access to the lower river area in Dunnville, and one of the few areas where you stand a good chance of catching something decent without a boat and it would be such a pity to lose them. Sure theres the Grand Island BBQ (pay) but its just too far off the dam to get some decent deeper water access and theres the park top of the dam on the other side of the bridge, its free but you stand a slim chance of catching anything decent there and the species range that you catch is very limited (the odd walleye, channel cats, suckers) and Byng Park (pay)... its such a shame to have this resource sitting there practically in your own backyard and not being able to use it without having to pay or not pay and have a pretty poor chance of catching something that the average fisherperson would even contemplate eating....

Aw well thats the end of my whine fest for the day ... Got to get back to worrying about the world and whether or not I should get out and try to elbow my way to some decent fishing.

cro

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised the kids were actually OUTSIDE fishing and not indoors playing a fishing game on the puter.... :dunno:

Alot of kids have no respect for our environment, natural resources or their elders....most are spoiled, lazy and want everything for nothing.

Archived