Wading the lower Niagara

FishyWishy

I would like to know where the wadable water is on the Lower niagara / Glen etc and how to get there.

I would like to get down there and try my luck at some steelies, bows , lakers , browns whatever I can get. I know this is probably not the right tim of year but I am trying to get some knowledge to use later.

Ideally it would be nice to go with Cast Adventures for a day and learn from Paul, but I don't have the $$ to even entertain this thought, even though I see his awesome posts and lots of possitive posts about fishing with Paul.

I know I will be blasted with comments like "go search" and "find out for yourself" etc.

Between work and family obligations I don't get much fishing/hunting time these days. When I do I tend to bring my 3 and 5 year old girls fishing someplace fun and safe for them. Look at some of my previous post looking for places to bring them.

Now I would like to do some fishing for me. and don't want to spend a fishing opportunity just looking to see if I could go fishing in a particular spot.

I don't need to know what bait to use or fly pattern (I plan on fly fishing) or any specific hole. Just how to access wadable water. If I can wet a line I can spend time trying to figure out the rest.

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can provide.

FW

Shore angling is the best bet for the Niagara. The water is not wadeable anywhere I know of and it would be just plain dangerous to try. The water is too fast, too unpredictable and too much of a drop off right near shore. Wadeing might get you and extra 5 feet of casting distance but I really wouldn't recomend it. I think others who know the river will agree. Put your safety first!

jjcanoe

Guest stubby

I have seen guys wading at the Queenston boat ramp way off to the right of the dock. You only gain an extra five to seven feet and probably too many trees to fly fish but you could always give it a try. Just be real careful cause the water can change pretty quick and rise up to a foot in no time at all. You might want to try past the overhanging tree after the pathway ends. drift looks promising!!!

The only spots I can think of that would be remotely possible is a few bays down in the glen. If you go down the metal stairs, head straight then make a right and follow the trail to the water. Once you get to the water turn left and follow the trail along the river. All along there there are a few spots you can wade out a bit or fish from shore. If you follow that trail to the end, there is a big bay with a bit of a pool there that should give you plenty of room to toss the fly. If you wade out anywhere be extra careful down there. The slippery rocks, fast current, changing water level, and drop-off make for some dangerous conditions. If you can't see the bottom don't step cause it might not be there

hiking around in the glen is fun and in a short time you'll learn a few good spots to try for trout when they return in the fall. Use caution when wading! We wear waders to help land fish (so you don't have to drag them onto the shore) and to help keep warm/dry because of the changing water levels in the glen. We really don't do much "wading". Using waders can help at times to get a better cast. But NEVER go deeper then your knees! Work on your roll casting skills, this will be the "FLY Fishing" cast that you'll use the most while Fly fishing the Niagara River from shore. Also be aware of the changing water levels!!! From April 1st until Nov 1st the water levels will rise drop each day. Example: if you show up at 1st light in the morning, by 9:30am the water levels rise almost 25 feet!!! The rocks when the water is low will be very slick! Watch your step! The water will remain high until the evening, then repeat this process again.......

Good Luck out there, be safe and have FUN :Gonefishing:

PS: don't waste your time on the lower right now, Weeds are SOOO Bad that you can't even fish. This shouldn't last too much longer. Hopefully by next week things are back on track!

See you on the River,

Paul Castellano

Guest niagarariverpro

no where to actually wade out unless your a certain special fisherman ..(some will know what i mean)

makes no sence unless you have no value on life.. the water fluctuates alot this time of year ..

If you want to have some fun with your fly rod ,carp and gar are in on the lake Erie right now. I was there on Sunday ,caught and landed 30 carp and 5 gar pike. Black and green beaded woolly bugger was the fly I used. Good fishing.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I never thought before that there were wading spots in the Niagara...but saw pics of guys ankle ddep posing with nice bows etc and thought "Is it possible that there are places to wade in"

Now I know.

In the fall I will try down there FROM SHORE. (Have to get a heavier rod, 8wt??? Don't think my 6wt will cut it).

Fisher1, Will a 6wt work for those carp and gar? Floating or sink tip line? I think I may try those, look fun to catch on spin or casting tackle, let alone on fly gear. Buggers...green body black tail?

Guest niagarariverpro

best outfit to use would be a spey rod 8wt and lengths up to 15' .. 2 handed spey rods allows you to cast a mile providing you have the backspace with very little effort .. an 8wt would allow you to fish for those carp as well as salmon and trout .. i have a few 9'-15' 4 piece spey rods that i really like .. the longer the rod the more control and distance you can aquire ...

of course spey casting can be done with any fly rod but with less power to get that line out there really far...

any one serious about flyfishing i always have a *loaner* spey rod you can try out... :lol:

cliff...

Black or Green bead head. I use wt forward floating line with a 12 lb leader .Cast dose not have to be long,but you must cast in front of the carp and let him see it sink. Carp will suck it up. Have fun.

Black or Green bead head. I use wt forward floating line with a 12 lb leader .Cast dose not have to be long,but you must cast in front of the carp and let him see it sink. Carp will suck it up. Have fun.

Thanks for the tip.

I too am hoping to get my spey outfit on the Niagara, there are some nice holes in the whirlpool where you can definately swing for them and the spots around the Glen. Don't forget your sink tips.

What did Paul mean that the weeds should dissappear next week or so? I thought the weeds stick around all summer? or do they die off?

I too am hoping to get my spey outfit on the Niagara, there are some nice holes in the whirlpool where you can definately swing for them and the spots around the Glen. Don't forget your sink tips.

What did Paul mean that the weeds should dissappear next week or so? I thought the weeds stick around all summer? or do they die off?

Not sure but I think Paul might of meant the tons of moss floating around both Upper & Lower.I was out last week & what a pain with all the moss around.

Shore angling is the best bet for the Niagara. The water is not wadeable anywhere I know of and it would be just plain dangerous to try. The water is too fast, too unpredictable and too much of a drop off right near shore. Wadeing might get you and extra 5 feet of casting distance but I really wouldn't recomend it. I think others who know the river will agree. Put your safety first!

jjcanoe

Good advise JJ .......before wading in the lower watch where you see some waders & get to know the water well .....a sudden drop off with waders can easily cost you dearly (departed) :lol: A lady fisher almost drowned in the lower yesterday near the train bridge in the lower after slipping on rocks & tumbling in the fast current. Lucky for her a good swimmer jumped in the cold water & saved her ! The guy deserves a metal !!! :Gonefishing: How about wearing a good pfd with waders ? :lol:

Archived