Deer Numbers

Despite most hunters I know filling their tags last fall, there seems to be more deer this year. Obviously they didn't just grow to adulthood already but people have been seeing allot more recently and have been taking notice.

A reporter called me today and asked my oppinion. All I could come up with is that despite a succesful hunt, numbers still seem to be way up there and the herd seems to be growing. There is allot of development around the region which may be displacing them. An easy winter was good to them but a harsh March had them wandering in search of food.

Now this brings me to my next point. Should we be feeding them in these difficult late winter times or should we just let nature take its course? The herd is almost beyond a healthy carrying capacity thus it is important to hunt to control the numbers but even hunters feed deer in difficult times. This saves game from starvation but it means more deer next year which is a stress to their eco systems.

Secondly, I have deer in my back yard. I shouldn't be seeing them as I'm in a busy residential area bordered by high traffic streets. People in the neighbourhood are feeding the deer and turkey in their back yards. The deer get used to this and are getting tame. I've been tempted to get in on the action for my viewing pleasure but that means attracting deer through traffic. Bad idea. If you want to see wildlife, go into the wild where it is safe for the animals.

So any ideas as to how many deer as opposed to average numbers are in Niagara and what do you contribute those numbers to?

I"ll say an easy winter, lots of cool weather and precip which equals a good growing season and finally, allot less property is available to hunters then ever before. It will be interesting to see how many of those additional tags were filled.

Dan :Gonefishing:

I'm going to try to point that reporter in this threads direction. Everyone should get their oppinion in.

Well I don't hunt,but do service work for a living which takes me all over the place.I 've seen deer just about everywhere.I,ve seen them in some of the strangest spots.One was the Thorold cutoff just passed the Pen Centre.There were afew laying down up on a hill.I swear they were watching traffic go by.Cruising from call to call I've said to myself " man there's alot of deer kicking around "I definitely think there are more deer now then ,lets say a year ago or so.My 2 pennies

Guest canada

Deer #'s are way up, I did some work a few weeks ago planting trees and such for the MNR and Conservation Authority and both Biologists told me #'s are high. On another note hunting is low the MNR cannot even get enough hunters out to fill the controlled hunt tags anymore :worthy: In WMU 88 a bow hunter can fill as many as 6 tags during the hunt :D

Oh ya I must have seen 15-20 deer in a 2 week span, I hope they enjoy those nice sweet sapplings I put in the ground for them :Gonefishing:

In my opinion, deer displacement due to development is a negligible factor in why we are seeing so many deer. Displacement might result in a very temporary increase in a particular location, but it does not explained our sustained high deer numbers over recent years.

Ultimately a high deer population is a function of an abundant food supply, suitable habitat and mild winters. Predation (by humans or coyotes) may check population growth, but predation has less of an impact when food and adequate cover are abundant.

The local MNR biologist once described to me our whitetailed deer as "big rabbits". I think this was a reference to the deer's adaptability to human presence, flexibility in food choices and, of course, reproductive ability. The biologist said that typically deer give birth to single fawns or twins, whereas here in Niagara twins and triplets appear very common. This, I think, relates back to the abundance of high quality food mostly in the form of agricultural crops and mild winters that allow a high percentage of does to carry their fawns through the winter without aborting.

I'm believe that we must be at or near our carrying capacity for deer. That having been said, our deer could probably be sustained at even higher population densities, but at what impact to the less visible "lower level" species like salamanders, certain plants, mosses, etc.?

Here's what I sent him: Keep in mind he's mainly talking about Niagara Falls.

Deer numbers do appear up across the Region. People are seeing deer in the oddest places and deer/human conflicts are increasing. Personally I attribute that to 2 things. Development and lack of hunting opportunities.

As you know there is allot of development around the region. The amount of land it takes to host large game animals like deer is declining and in areas of growth these traditional ranges are being reduced to small pockets and corridors. When a development is placed in one of these corridors you get deer and other wildlife in residential neighbourhoods. Just yesterday while I read my morning paper I could hear wild turkeys a few doors over in a neighbours back yard and I had to chase 2 deer away from my apple tree mid afternoon in Crescent Park.

To compound the problem people excited about seeing the wildlife near their homes have started feeding these animals. This is a bad idea! I've been tempted myself to get in on the action, but that means I'd be helping to lure the deer across busy roadways to get here from the local bush. This is also contributing to the taming of deer which is also a bad idea. Deer are a wary animal and can quickly find themselves spooked and disoriented and we've all heard about deer crashing through windows and leaving blood throughout the interior of someones home. This isn't good for us or the deer. If you want to see deer, go to their habitat where their safe. If you can't find their habitat, you have the same problem the deer have.

Another reason deer numbers are up is lack of hunting opportunities. Despite additional tags being issued by the OMNR, finding landowners willing to let you hunt is getting difficult. Urban sprawl breaks up wildlife ranges and hunting opportunities, as reasonable distances, no fire zones and no hunting signs fill in the gaps. A lack of education about wildlife management and poor landowner/hunter relations has also resulted in less opportunity in the more open areas. As both game and hunter are compressed into smaller spaces, access to land is becoming difficult thanks to a few who don't feel the need to ask permission and misinformed slants written by animal sympathizers.

Just about every hunter I know (except me) filled their tags last year as deer are very abundant to the detriment of their host ecosystem. If numbers can't be reduced soon and people keep treating them as drop in pets, we're going to see wildlife conflicts escalate. My Brother in law was taken on a stretcher to hospital Monday after a deer ran into his car while he drove through what used to be the deers habitat on the 400. We're still awaiting word on his condition.

Dan I'm not sure if this will help but I've learned that in the past month that not only have deer been seen in my neighborhood (morning visitors post) but that a family of raccoons was taken from under a truck across the road and that a few other people have been having troubles too. :lol:

I do not feel that the deer are approaching their carrying capacity in this region. Having said that one place that this is evident is on Navy Island. Who do you feel should provide the education about wildlife management Chilli? Please qualify the statement " misinformed slants written by animal sympathizers". What is your definition of an "animal sypmathizer" and what "slants" are you referring to?

Personally I think wildlife biologists should be providing information to the papers but apparently their too busy. MNR staff referred the papers questions to Guelph who in turn provided little data. Deer populations should be determined by proper surveys both from air and by first hand accounts from various groups of outdoors people such as hunters and naturalists.

An animal sympathizer is someone who gives inacurate information (one sided propaganda) to prevent the loss of any animals life even if it means other animals will suffer from the over population. Many sympathizers or "animal rights activists" fought the cull on Navy Island despite the starving deer saying we should let nature take it's coarse. The cormorant defenders write a good slant which usually uses hard hitting emotional words like murder and slaughter. The coyote defenders wrote a slant after Tony's last article but they conveinently left out factors such as development.

So whats the difference between a hunter and a sympathist? A hunting or angling group suggest harvest restrictions when population dwindle or fight for sanctuaries like the bass sancs in Lake Erie. They even help chart areas and place bouy's with the signs to warn other anglers. ARA's fight to stop all hunting and fishing despite the consequenses of over population.

To name a few sympathists (ARA's) how about Daniel K Wilson of the Niagara Center for Animal Rights Awareness. He twisted an article around and claimed the Thorold Conservation Club was releasing and hunting pheasants in a sanctuary plus many other deceptive letters to the Ed. Debbie Gibson from St Annes who has come to the defense of those trying to ban what they call murder. She's refering to what we call natural harvest or hunting. She wants all hunting banned. Fishing is second only to hunting my friend.

Ed Reid, wildlife bio from the OFAH is someones oppinion I trust because he uses common sense and backs it up with science.

How many times have you read that cormorants were partly exterpitated years ago partly because of hunting? Thats a sympathist slant. Find me a reference that points to any history of cormorant hunting or an instance where a hunting org such as the Federation claimed they wanted to exterminate cormorants as accused by the ARA's. There's more of a hatred for them here and I wish there wasn't.

As for deer approaching their carrying capacity it depends on where you mean. I believe they're being displaced near urban areas (probably a clarification that should be made) and yes in those fractured areas I see them surpassing it. Apparently so does the MNR as they've demonstrated by issuing plenty of aditional tags. The OFAH has indicated that Southern Ontario has seen significant growth in its deer herd and the desire to open up no fire zones and Sunday hunting is seen as neccesary. And one other source although it may be one sided "sometimes". Farmers who suffer crop damage. The OFA could give you their oppinion themselves.

Chile: Thank you for you prompt reply to my questions. The loss of habitat is a problem in the Golden Horsehoe.

The species such as coyotes, fox, and raccoons can quicky adapt to an urban environment and the the problem can become very complex, and we must learn to co-exist with these species. Education is certainly the key. I have been an angler all my life and appreciate all the work done by conservation clubs. Networking and partnerships are very important.

I have noticed a lot more urban wildlife over the past 2 or 3 years.

I have seen deer travelling in herds of 1/2 dozen or more beside McLeod Road on 3 occasions, twice at the intersection of McLeod and Alex (the first street East of Drummond) and once in the fenced area around the power canal on the south side of McLeod Rd. I have also seen Wild turkey on 3 occasions in the same Power canal location.

In the middle of turkey season I even saw a Jake in one the grassy islands in the middle of the QEW/420 clover leaf.

Prior to the fencing off and building of Thundering Waters Golf Course I would see deer feeding in the Hydro Line behind my house. Not since then though, only roaming the streets of my neighbourhood now. Almost hit a couple one night as I was coming home I turned off of McLeod onto Alex and had to slam the breaks :lol: , at first I thought that was a big friggen dog, must have been a great dane. Then I looked to my left and saw his buddies.

And I have a friggen raccoon that keeps breaking into my compost bin. Rips the door right off. :Gonefishing:

Guest canada

On a side note while planting trees, I talked with a few local land owners and farmers bordering the shorthills area and all of them are letting deer hunters on there lands. They have not done this in the past but due to the rising populations and destruction of crops and plants and trees in general are acknowledging the need to harvest deer. So if any hunters ( archery only ) are looking for areas to hunt I would suggest door knocking this area. You may be able to find a real Honey hole out there but I would start looking now to set up for the fall hunt. :Gonefishing:

Whirlpoolhunter,

Sometimes a quick response isn't the best one. After having some time to think about your excellent question I've come to the conclusion that I haven't given you the best answer about who should inform the public.

It used to be that sportsman, sporting clubs, MNR biologists, naturalists, landowners etc would all share information and oppinions. Given input from all walks of life an idea of how many deer were around, how much if any damage was occuring and the state of their health and environment would give a clearer picture.

Example: In the last year the Fort erie Conservation Club (FECC) has hosted both the Local wildlife biologist Anne Yagi and the Federation wildlife Bio Ed Reid as guest speakers. Anne spoke of the Navy Island situation and asked for help with monitoring with no takers. I brought this info to St Catharines also with no takers. Ed Reid gave us an excellent break down of why deer numbers need to be managed well before they reach carrying capacity. He sent an email tonight reguarding his concern with the shorthills situation.

This network from all walks of life need to rebuild this network of communications. You now have the anti hunting advocates that throw a monkey wrench into the communications by manipulting public oppinion. Read about the spring bear hunt and the associated problems. The MNR can no longer fill its mandate when it comes to bears due to politics. Perhaps if we all worked together, reported to OMNR and sporting clubs and gave a helping hand once in awhile like what was needed on Navy Island, we'll all have a clearer picture and stronger voice to talk to reporters with and keep public oppinion in the favour of the wildlife we all charish :Gonefishing:

I find it sad to see wildlife habitat being paved over & all wildlife being forced into a smaller corner .Many more deer & other birds & animals are being hit by vehicles speeding down rural roads doing damage to cars & drivers .I've seen more road kills than ever ! Farmers like Herb S., who has 300 acres of land near Grassie can tell you a lot about deer damage to crops . I've seen young saplings destroyed & many deer feeding in a soy bean field etc. People who live in the north are shooting bears themselves & dragging the bodies away in the bush to rot ......that's how they are keeping their numbers down ! Wild animals must now be controlled to prevent over population & disease/starvation . As our population grows & expands into the country , we have no choice but limit the available space to a controlled number of wild animals.

An add on......today I went to Fenwick & talked with a guy who lives on a dead end country road .He told me the deer have been ravaging his garden (ate his lettuce) & have also ate his young cedar trees . He is quite concerned about the abundance of deer that may also carry tics . And he commented on all the new ,very expensive homes being built out there ........Years from now , he won't be seeing any deer out there when the bush is all gone.........

Archived