port dalhousie smelts?

Guest christopher

Chris.....bout the only thing I saw running at Port was a mudpuppy.....them legs were just smokin ! Seriously......you can get smelt through the ice up near the grandstands but not very many. Looks like Dunville or Rameys bend will give you enough for a good meal . Maybe this April the smelt will be heavier in the harbour or the Niagara River when the netting season begins .

Guest pikemasta13

Speaking of that does anyone know any new recipes for these guys.

I havnot been smelt fishing in ages, I used to go back in the 80s at port weller. Great times.

Usually we fry them!

cheerssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

try using Fish Crisp, Italian... coat them each twice, then deep fry them, or if you dont have a deep fryer, do em in olive oil in a pan.

9252[/snapback]

yummy....you are making me so hungry! I remember smelt from when I was a kid!

If I can get a couple doz. big smelt (7-8" ) , I would like to try to take the fillets ,flower them, roll them up & toothpick them, then into the deep fryer (oops, I'm droolin in the key board).....Then you dip them in melted butter .......Poor mans shrimp !!

Icecap........We used to get smelt by the tons at Port Dal. behind the legion, back in the 1950's . There is a smaller run of them now in the harbour but when I was getting minnows this past Nov. with a 3 ft. net, I caught a few small smelts ....never got them this way before. I thought they came in the spring time with the high waters triggering the smelt run. I think many of them come in from Erie throught the 12 mile creek and end up both in the harbour & under the ice in Martindale & the grandstand area at Port.

Archived