Changes to the fishing regs

Have you had a chance to view the "minor" changes to the fishing regs?

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/239044.pdf

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index...showtopic=13566

I'm not sure they're all that minor. If someone was to be caught out of compliance would the C.O. consider it a minor offence? Having the wrong fish in your bait bucket could cost you a bundle.

In most cases seasons got longer or areas got bigger. Some definitions changed such as livewell which I think changed for the better but it will cost me money to add the aerator.

According to the OMNR web site listed above, the changes have already been incorporated into the online version of the regs but they may not be present in the booklet copies you get a the store so by all means if you can read this, ............ use the regs online and check back often.

Many of the changes in the 2008 Regs. are a good thing. Many parts simplified, and more sensible limits put in place. It is a pity that not enough people feel compelled to read the new rules, let alone check the web for new updates to the regs. I know the local CO's were busy on the weekend. I also spoke to 6 people on the weekend to tell them bass are closed, and one line per angler inshore. Time for a class on FISHING 101?

Well we're trying to make it easier (not that it's hard) to find the regs by having the regs pinned in the new forum (OFAH/OMNR). I've been hearing more and more concerned anglers suggesting a course be taken before handing out licences. I'll tell you right now with the extra funds the OMNR would receive, it wouldn't be too hard to convince them. I'd have to ask but maybe it would have to be approved at the Federal level like the new regs did.

The only set back I could see to having a fishing coarse is it wouldn't be good for tourism unless it was a course that followed international standards. Anyone know how it works with hunters? Do non residents need the hunter education program?

Hey Bruce, that would make a good motion for tonight G&F meeting in St Catharines (I'm working again :blink: ). Perhaps we can send a letter to the Ministry suggesting they investigate the idea by contacting all the stakeholders for input. Myself I think it would be worth it, especially if it were free for kids under 17.

Well we're trying to make it easier (not that it's hard) to find the regs by having the regs pinned in the new forum (OFAH/OMNR). I've been hearing more and more concerned anglers suggesting a course be taken before handing out licences. I'll tell you right now with the extra funds the OMNR would receive, it wouldn't be too hard to convince them. I'd have to ask but maybe it would have to be approved at the Federal level like the new regs did.

The only set back I could see to having a fishing coarse is it wouldn't be good for tourism unless it was a course that followed international standards. Anyone know how it works with hunters? Do non residents need the hunter education program?

Hey Bruce, that would make a good motion for tonight G&F meeting in St Catharines (I'm working again :o ). Perhaps we can send a letter to the Ministry suggesting they investigate the idea by contacting all the stakeholders for input. Myself I think it would be worth it, especially if it were free for kids under 17.

You gotta be kiddin right?! Ask the G&F to support a call for more regulations and fees pertaining to fishing. THey're still trying to go back to the good old days.

You gotta be kiddin right?! Ask the G&F to support a call for more regulations and fees pertaining to fishing. THey're still trying to go back to the good old days.

being a trustee on the exec for a conservation club myself......these clubs need to get with the new age and forget about the good ole days.....times are changed alot over the last 20-30 years, and new incentives and initiatives need to be brought in to attract the newer generations of anglers and hunters...including angler eductaion and getting more in touch with the MNR on certain issues.....this isn't the "good ole days" of people sitting around the clubhouse sharing "poaching" stories

Guest canada
Have you had a chance to view the "minor" changes to the fishing regs?

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/239044.pdf

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index...showtopic=13566

I'm not sure they're all that minor. If someone was to be caught out of compliance would the C.O. consider it a minor offence? Having the wrong fish in your bait bucket could cost you a bundle.

In most cases seasons got longer or areas got bigger. Some definitions changed such as livewell which I think changed for the better but it will cost me money to add the aerator.

According to the OMNR web site listed above, the changes have already been incorporated into the online version of the regs but they may not be present in the booklet copies you get a the store so by all means if you can read this, ............ use the regs online and check back often.

I don't beleive changes should be made and not printed in the book. In a court of law I don't think any regulation will stand up unless it is printed in that current years Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary. Any changes made during the current year should not be implimented untill the next book of regs becomes available.

:dunno: John you hit the nail right on the head there buddy! How do they expect the few CO's left to do their job with mid season changes like this. When the OMNR held a stakeholders meeting they wanted to issue the new summary for 5 years!!! instead of 1 or 2. I not only cited limited flexability but the need to maintain credibility with anglers.

BigU and JWL, we are they! We just need more we's :lol: . Make the motions. If they gets shot down it still goes on record and maybe more people who think like you will join and vote with you. Have your say in the newsletter :P and perhaps those who have left in the past will take note changes in membership interests are happening and the refreshing change may sway them back.

John I also agree it would be impossible to convict if official literature states compliance. Should just be listed as up coming changes for the next issue but for now, anglers like you and me will take note and follow the new rules. Despite offenders, we'll still have a positive impact by monitoring changes and spreading the word.

Archived