Erie Eyes Saturday Night

AwolRJ

Went out on saturday evening and got 3 nice eyes outta crystal beach. All three on the down riggers withing 30 minutes then nothing for next hour so we called it a night. Tried jets and boards, and dypsys but pulled the rest once we got these, figure if the down riggers wee working no sense keeping other 2 out and maybe getting tangled...

324313736.jpg

324313725.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went this morning at 6 and we were rewarded. Lost a beauty at the net the front hook on the worm harness caught the net on the way in and I couldn't get the fish in the net, so stupid me tried lifting it in and she was gone. Was a little smaller then this one my Dad is getting mounted. Caught 5 fish all together could've had more but they weren't meant to be. One fish of leadcore 3 colors down on the planer board and the other ones all off the riggers. Weighed this on at 12 pounds on a rusty spring scale, goin in to be mounted as soon as the Taxidermist comes back from his fishing trip.

326319558.jpg

326319561.jpg

Wow ! That sure is a nice hog AW ! It's worthy of a mount for sure . How do those big eyes scrap in Erie ? Do they keep deep or take a few good runs before you net them ?

BTW .....that "mount" hanging from the wall looks a little dried out....... :D Congrats to you & Dad !

Somedays they fight like snot, yesterday they did and stayed deep. Someday's feels like a dead log. It measured 30 inches, I looked up the Candian Record and it is from the Niagara River and was 36 inches but weighed 8 pounds more?

A 30" walleye with a good girth , like a female full of eggs , should weigh about 10 lbs. That one of your dads should be very close to 10 lbs. The Erie eyes seem to have more fatty tissue than the northern eyes because there is so much bait to feed on in Erie .You can ask the taxidermist to add a little more walleye colour like deeper yellow/gold & darker back if you wish . If the fish was caught on bottom in the rocks at about 25' it would have more colour .As you can see the fish lose colour quickly after dying , but don't worry about that . I hope to see a pic. of the mount later , always nice to see the finished job . Glad you had some real snotters among the logs .....sheephead do the same thing , had small 5 pounders go like snot & some larger ones come in like a boot .

My mom emailed me the pics she took for the taxidermist looks like its right about 30 inches have no idea on girth, but its the fattest walleye Iv'e ever seen in person.

326755619.jpg

326755625.jpg

Guest fishstick

Very nice haul fella....congrats!!!

Last time I saw you was at Simcoe with the pizza 'n' beer in the hut, Jeets, Scotty and Boston .... :D

Very nice haul fella....congrats!!!

Last time I saw you was at Simcoe with the pizza 'n' beer in the hut, Jeets, Scotty and Boston .... :D

That was a good trip, not too many fish but was fun! Maybe next Ice season!

Archived