finally got to fish!!

charlieD

Fished out from palmwood launch in my kayak and managed to get 3 bass in an hour. It was only my third time out since opener. been workin lots. Just wondering why when jetski's wee a very small craft they have to come whipping by at 40 mile an hour. 3 jetski's almost swamped me and 4 boats too, all of them were american boats! Just plain rude, they can't say they didn't see me cause my kayak is bright orange and my lifejacket is bright yellow! Anyone been fishing the slow drift to the left of Queenston launch for bass?

well at leats you got out and had some fun Charlie..as for almost being swamped..I agree in some areas like that a few people could use a few lessons on the rules of the road on the water

The slow drift down stream from Queenston is excellent for bass. I used to fish it from my canoe all the time. Because of the back current, the water actually goes upstream near the shore, you can do a circle with a kayak or canoe. It gets very mossy but that keeps the larger boats out and there are lots of fish in the weeds. I have seen many huge gar pike in there, very alusive to catch, and huge carp as well. It is also shady and a cool refuge not to mention the nesting herons. Worth the paddle even if the fish are not biting..

whirlpool

Have not heard from you.

Working hard to pay the bills is not too bad either, and we get to reward ourselves afterwards.

The weather has been so unpredictable, better fishing is yet to come.

ya I have been working 2 jobs, 60 hours a week, then having to do work on the house and at my girlfriends business has kept me right out of the water. Might have to learn fishing all over again...LOL. Don't think I would attempt the whirlpool in my Yak....I am not that crazy...lol.

Nice to see you got out Charlie , & got a few fish for your efforts ......nice going ! Don't forget those jet boat guys took their boaters course & know ALL the rules ;) . They forgot to teach them manners that's all . It seems there are so many of them that are just plain jerks ( but also some that are decent) :) . They need to put huge letters on the side so we can video them doing stupid inconsiderate things on the water & having their toys taken away until they grow up into adults (which may be never for some) . There are ways to teach them.......if you know where they launched etc..... :D Lets hope we will soon have very strict rules on the water like we do on the roads......Play it safe Charlie , water rage can be wet..... :Gonefishing:

Have not heard from you.

Working hard to pay the bills is not too bad either, and we get to reward ourselves afterwards.

The weather has been so unpredictable, better fishing is yet to come.

Hey Charilie: My name is whirpoolhunter and no I dont suggest fishing the whirlpool in your yak. I have seen Kayaks and canoes come from upriver into the whirlpool. I also witnessed kayaks shooting the lower rapids years ago , they were filming for american sportmen. One went under for an 8 second count....and flew up like a match stick. I have also seen jet skiiers in the whirlpool again....a death wish I think. One of the most crazy things I have seen was a fellow in the whirlpool up to his waist in waders, so he could get five feet out more.. Ill have to scan the photo I have of that.

Safe boating..

whirpoolhunter

Guest niagarariverpro

kinda reminds me of duck hunting BUT

use kayaks as decoys then sit and wait for the big boats to come through the flock of kayaks then shoot em

ok maybe thats a tad extreme .. but by now you have learned that the bigger boats have the right of way if they going 50mph.. like it or not..

if your uncomfortable on the big ponds then either

1: buy a bigger boat

2: fish in smaller ponds..

not uncomfortable at all just think it is rude to go whipping by someone at 40-50 mile an hour 30 feet away is all. I think I have the right to be in the water as well, just cause I don't own a big boat doesn't mean I shouldn't be on the water. Just found it funny that everyone of them was an american, if they were going slower I could have taken all there numbers down they were so close.

Charlie I know what you mean but I don't think they're being rude. I seriously think they're just plain ignorant. It doesn't matter how far away you go from them either. Those skis either feel the need to come have a look or they consider you something different to drive to and back again. I can't stand the site of them any more.

Guest canada

If your fishing around Queenston keep an eye out for the jet boats, there back and forth every 10 min or so, doing some big ugly loops right in the bay. Just another nuisence added to the waterway, the river has turned into a real zoo lately, another tragedy waiting to happen :worthy:

If your fishing around Queenston keep an eye out for the jet boats, there back and forth every 10 min or so, doing some big ugly loops right in the bay. Just another nuisence added to the waterway, the river has turned into a real zoo lately, another tragedy waiting to happen :worthy:

Canada: Ironic that we have been discussing jet skiiers in the lower river. Three were rescued last night from Lewiston and are in US custody. They often run devils hole up to and sometimes past the Whirpool, endangering the lves of the American Coast Guard, Canadian Coast Guard, and local Fire departments. Check out the articles in the Toronto Star and the Niagara Falls Review today. If you mess with the Niagara River , you will pay the price in time.

Whirpool

Guest canada

With the jet boats using Queenston as there home port now and the rest of the jet ski'ers and such that area has turned into a real zoo this summer :worthy:

With the jet boats using Queenston as there home port now and the rest of the jet ski'ers and such that area has turned into a real zoo this summer :worthy:

Well put Canada: It is diffucult to relax and fish, photograph or anything without the disruption of the jet skis and larger jet boat craft. This is even more evident in the Glen and between the Glen and the whirlpool. Megaphones screaming out... Jet boats taking three or four runs at the wave in the Glen, which used to be one of my favourite fishing spots.

Sitting on the bank between the Glen and the Whirlpool used to also be relaxing, but now jet boats scream by you every half hour. The only relief from this is between November and April when OPG lowers the water level 24/7.

If you do fish before 8 am in the summer months you will not be bothered by the larger jet boats since they do not run in the low water.

Archived