The future... What the changes to the NWPA could bring

jedi jeffi

If anyone had any doubt on where the changes to the Navigable Water Ways Protection Act is heading then you don’t have to look any further than the Balm Beach Ontario on Georgian Bay.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/484318

It’s not pretty is it, and to save our historical rights to the access on Canadian waterways we half to stand up now!

Now take in the fact that fisher people/hunters/canoeists don’t own the land of the areas where they access to fish/hunt/boat then throw in a couple of disgruntled landowners that don’t like the “outsiders” …… not a nice vision is it! And throw in a few court cases for fun….

This is very close to becoming a reality; the changes will be introduced in the fall session or if an election is called we have to make sure the future of access to canoeing is protected.

As a past Canadian Canoe Champion and Whitewater champion with having the gift of being involved with the outdoors for over 40 years now, I strongly recommend that you forward this information to your member clubs/suppliers and help protect Canada’s Heritage of water way access.

Making your own presentation would be best for the cause, especially the safe keeping of urban watersheds, or they can go to the

http://www.ispeakforcanadianrivers.com/

Yours in Canoeing,

Jeff McColl

Milton Ont.

For info on how this has progressed, read this forum.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtop...875&start=0

Wow , what a story ......like the Hatfields verses the McCoys with on going tit-4-tats . People 63 yrs. old knocking someones teeth out over a fence ! And $400,000 wasted for a mediator & $60,000 needed to get a fence torn down ? Fences being chain sawed & burned......dog doo held under a guys nose ? This has gone too far already . It's time a ruling was made & it's either the high water line or low water line .

In defence of land owners I will say this ........My wifes parents owned a cottage at Long Beach , Lake Erie , & the beached was used by many people from the U.S. as well as Ont. When the partying began after dark & the fires burned ,the drunks got louder & bottles were smashed against the big cement shore saver blocks . The wood stairs from the cottage were used for firewood , lights on a pole which shone on the beach above the blocks were busted as were some expensive windows in the cottage . The beach was a mess in the morning with a few drunks sleeping it off .It was a relief to sell that cottage when the parents died ! So , cottage owners have their problems with the public . The cops would come sometimes & even take a few coolers of beer , but they would be back in 2 hrs.with more beer !

So , a compromise is needed . I suggest that we go back to the high water line so people can walk the beaches freely , but NO people allowed after sunset . No parties , no drunks , no broken glass to cut the kids feet, & no costly policing needed & maybe save a few dental appointments . Cottage owners pay high taxes , they deserve to live in peace .

Exactly! and that's where I think the government didn't think we would start to come together.

The land owners land has to be respected, and proper fines for the #$##@ land and water abusers!

When they did it they were only thinking about the one side, (theirs)

complex is an understatement!

Certain aspects could addressed quickly, others with some real thought put in to protect the waters and the land.

Jeff

Archived