They can see your line.

Guest chilli

After watching Johnny drag in another trout on the upper I asked him "why am I getting no hits when I'm emulating everything you do". He suggested my 12 pound mono was too visible to the fish and showed me his 4 pound test. So off to Denis's I go and spooled all my reels with 4. To no avail. When I did finnally hook into one (by accident) it was a long battle leaving the fish exhausted.

The general rules of ethics suggest "bringing the fish to hand quickly" as not to over play it unnecessarilly. I'm uncomfortable with this 4 pound mono as I don't trust it and haven't got a good feel for it. I want to use fire line and am going to spool some up tonight. I'll cut it through a candle on the way to the spool in an attempt to keep the ice off.

Does anyone else here use fireline or anything else that is very visable and still have success?

nope, strictly 6# P-line floroclear i use it as my main and my leader..... it's all but invisible under water and doesn't hold water....

with a long rod like yuo've got chilli you'll have no problems with 6lb mono with a 4lb lead.... combined with the long light rod it acts like 12lb mono :)

After watching Johnny drag in another trout on the upper I asked him "why am I getting no hits when I'm emulating everything you do". He suggested my 12 pound mono was too visible to the fish and showed me his 4 pound test. So off to Denis's I go and spooled all my reels with 4. To no avail. When I did finnally hook into one (by accident) it was a long battle leaving the fish exhausted.

The general rules of ethics suggest "bringing the fish to hand quickly" as not to over play it unnecessarilly. I'm uncomfortable with this 4 pound mono as I don't trust it and haven't got a good feel for it. I want to use fire line and am going to spool some up tonight. I'll cut it through a candle on the way to the spool in an attempt to keep the ice off.

Does anyone else here use fireline or anything else that is very visable and still have success?

9907[/snapback]

1st. Line makes a HUGE difference. 12lb is WAY to heavy, that's almost rope!!! lol. compare the two for yourself. You said it, you finally hooked one after you switched.

2nd. Your bud probably knows the section of river you were fishing like the back of his hand. You may think your emulating his every move, but if he's hooking alot more then you, even after you switched, I guarantee he knows every holding spot in that section, or can read water extremely well. Something that can only be learned by paying your do's and putting time on the water.

3rd. There is no reason that you can't bring the fish to hand quickly no matter what line strength you are using. I always use between 2 lb and 6 lb for steelhead and trout depending on the conditions. I just "lay the boots" and play the fish hard. You have to trust your equipment. This is something that will come naturally after you catch as many trout as some of us that have been fishing for a long time.

Also, you may want to consider running a heavier "main" line (I use 8lb) and using lighter leaders. you won't lose as much gear when you do break off.

hope this helps.

Guest Gill Finigan

I'll agree with krea. I use 8lbs main line and 6 or 4lbs florocarbon leader. Trout spook to ease to go heavy. Fight them as quickly as possible and take time releasing them.

How can you fight them quickly with 4 pound mono. Remember I'm fighting the current in the upper. This aint no backdrift in Queenston. She's moving. That's one of the reasons we walk the drift here. It's done in seconds otherwise.

I've strung up the 10 pound 4 pound diameter fireline running it through 2 tea light candles to keep the ice off and attached a 4 pound lead about 4 foot long. This I can trust and will be able to feel the bottom easilly. I just can't trust the 4 pound main line as it has snapped easilly before on the rare snag I do get. It was 4 pound technium and the ice stuck like snot right into the spool fouling each cast a little worse. I absolutley hate mono. I tried six pound Maxima and it coiled like barbed wire.

Guest cplummer

use 4 lb test line to catch more trout but also you may consider using a long rod as a shock absorber !!! min of 12' for 4 lb test.. you'll catch 100% more fish and at the same time the long rod enables you to bring it in quick..

cliff...

Chilli....should have asked the old man what he uses to catch the big ones ! He uses 8 lb "P" line on his Shimano Sahara spool with a 6 lb florescent Stren leader and same for sinker on a 3 way swivel . Never catches anything...but looks REAL impressive !! I did get a nice 14" sucker on a roe bag at Port Dal. What a scrapper it was ...... :blink:

Cliff I'm using a 13 footer but no hits. Same bait, same rod, just Johnny gets the bait in their mouth and I don't.

Krae, that one I did hook into was foul hooked. :blink:

Smerch you hook more fish but you've got alot more time on your hands.

Cliff I'm using a 13 footer but no hits. Same bait, same rod, just Johnny gets the bait in their mouth and I don't.

Krae, that one I did hook into was foul hooked. :blink:

Smerch you hook more fish but you've got alot more time on your hands.

9931[/snapback]

That would explain why the fish was so tired when you released it. It's next to impossible to land a large trout in current when foul hooked... just point yer rod at the fish next time and break it off. If your using a light lead and heavier main line, you'll just lose yer bait.

-- "How can you fight them quickly with 4 pound mono. Remember I'm fighting the current in the upper. This aint no backdrift in Queenston. She's moving."

I don't fish the backdrift. I fish area's on the Niagara (and many other rivers) that have current as strong or stronger then the upper and I never run into probs. I use a 13' IMX and have straightened hooks before the line breaks using 4lb in strong current...

Chilli I know what you mean I'm in your postion as well.  My setup is fine but no fish Its gotta be in my technique.  How far out do you fish?

9943[/snapback]

As far as possible. I start out far and work my way back to cover as much territory as possible. I can feel the bottom and get the occasional hold up and set the hook just in case but even with sticky sharp hooks, no hookups.

Guest Jeetmuck

Chilli,

I did the same thing as you, using 4 pound braid thickness with 20 lb strength and couldn't figure out why I no longer caught anything down at Queenston. Switched back to P Line 6 lb fluoro with 4lb leads and caught a couple just before Christmas.

I still like braid but don't use it when I go down to the river.

Now I wanna go try the drift soon.

Gene

Been using 8 pound test main with 6 pound Frog fluocarbone with 3 way rigs for the lower niagara...

Dont catch much but I knwo its not the equipment, it's the bait and the guy who is holding it!!!

Hi Chili,

my experience is that 8lb mainline with a 6lb fluorocarbon lead is the best way to go. fluoro has almost the same refraction index as water, so it's practically invisible once you dunk it. the clearer the water, the longer your lead should be. most fluoro brands are good, although I've heard Berkeley Vanish get a bad rap because of being too brittle (i can vouch for this on their 4lb). I use Raven, myself & just regular old XT as my mainline.

I read that you often set the hook if you think you might have a fish. it's probably better to apply a little pressure, since the sudden zooming of your bait through the water is more likely to spook fish than to tempt them into striking.

p.-

I read that you often set the hook if you think you might have a fish. it's probably better to apply a little pressure, since the sudden zooming of your bait through the water is more likely to spook fish than to tempt them into striking.

Thanks. That sounds like it makes good sense. I fished with the fireline today and oh what a difference. I could really feel every little pebble but no hits. No one else around did either though so I'll wait for a better day to respool. I do have a spool of invisaleader 5.5 pound that I'll retry instead of the 4 pound technium.

The water in the upper was crystal clear today. When a boil made the water flat, you could see the zebra muscles clear 15 feet down.

I agree that 8lb/6lb is the best all around set up for lake run trout....

I used to use vanish all the time, but i also found it was extremely brittle. Extra care had to be taken when tightening up knots etc... I gave up on it and went to Raven and found that it's excellent., the only down side was the cost for Raven Floro is about $10 for 50 meters. Maxima just came out with Floro and all i've been able to find is 6lb, (4lb has been sold out everywhere i look).. It's probably the best Floro leader material I've ever used and the cost is about $16 for a few hundred yards. I've had some really REALLY good double digit days with it and have yet to break a fish off (knock on wood).... although i have had lots throw the hook!

Hi Chili,

my experience is that 8lb mainline with a 6lb fluorocarbon lead is the best way to go. fluoro has almost the same refraction index as water, so it's practically invisible once you dunk it. the clearer the water, the longer your lead should be. most fluoro brands are good, although I've heard Berkeley Vanish get a bad rap because of being too brittle (i can vouch for this on their 4lb). I use Raven, myself & just regular old XT as my mainline.

p.-

9997[/snapback]

You mean Johnny? He does keep alot of fish but I doubt he's filling the freezer. He eats em all. At least that's what he tells me. Smokes em, pickles em and feeds em to his Mother. Apparently he's got more time to fish then most of us put together. As for ethics, maybe he has nothing to teach me but he hooks alot and that's all I need to know how to do for now. I've gotten a pretty good idea as to how to play or treat the fish thanks to the members of this board :Gonefishing:

I do have some critisims for him but I'll talk to his face about them before I mention them here. I hope you did the same. Besides, he seems to stick to that one spot from what I've seen. There's lots of river left up here.

Archived