Squirrel season

Dan Andrews

Look for a forrest with lots of Black Walnut and your sure to find some fat ole greys.......I've only had squirrel a few times but they are tasty little buggers :( .........kinda fun to hunt aswell, chasing them through the trees they sure can move :(

Just go out in the woods where u see alot of squirrel nest and sit patiently on a log or stump as quite as ya can, they will come out. I used to hunt em alot as a kid down in NY, would use a .22 saved alot of meat and took a bit more skill but there easy to hunt just a pain to skin! My grandfather would boil em for a little bit then add garlic, butter, salt and onions and fry em on the stove. They are great eating I think, never tried a black one though, only grey ones and little red ones down where I lived...

Look for a forrest with lots of Black Walnut and your sure to find some fat ole greys.......I've only had squirrel a few times but they are tasty little buggers :blink: .........kinda fun to hunt aswell, chasing them through the trees they sure can move :dunno:

The "Black Squirrels" in fact are a colour variation of Grey Squirrels. We are used to that colour in Niagara, but in many areas in the States only Gray are found. The red squirrel, is smaller, another species... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Gray_Squirrel

Whirlpool

I can't seem to find many in the bush. In Town they are here in droves but the coyotes have been doing a good job of keeping their numbers down.

I plan on using a 100# crossbow so it should be difficult. I'll have to retrieve my arrow in the bush after every shot. I have heard they are some of the toughest meat as they are mostly muscle. Still no match for a pressure cooker with nuts, beets and maybe some rice.

There kind of funny to find out in the bush, ussually I just happened to come across the right forrest and there would be 100's of the little buggers jumping in the trees :dunno: ....One thing I know is they love Black Walnut and are gathering big time right now so if you find a walnut grove you should find the squirrels. :blink: Never thought of using the crossbow I use to wack them with my 16ga shotgun while hunting cottontails :angry2::angry2:

instead of using a typical small game arrow...take a target arrow and solder a washer on the tip of it, that way you just give em a good WHACK!!! and knock em down instead of putting a big hole in it losing 3/4 of your meat :dunno:

happy hunting man,hope to hear lots of great adventures from you and Dustin this season

Well I got 1! :)

Little rascals were all on the ground in heavy cover but one came up for a look. Thwack! Right off the bean. This is a good shot because not only did it knock him right out but it hit the hardest place it could so I have a good pelt. The arrow went straight up off his head and disappeared though. The next squirrel got lucky by a hair and the 3rd watched my second and last arrow sail right by and it disappeared forever also.

Dan: 1

Squirrels: 2

Cost: 2 arrows and small game heads. $$

At least I'll have some hourdervs for wild game night. 4 squirrel wings and a rack of back ribs :)

Boy that was tough skinning. Especially around the face. Had to leave a few nose bones. Boraxed the hell of it and dropped it in a solution for a few days.

So now what? B) Nail it to the shed door and dry it out?

Would you guys not be worried about it having rabies or something? Not sure if I'd eat squirrel. Hunt them maybe, but....I guess I'd have to try a nibble first. Seems like more of a fuss to clean it once all that fur is gone.

To me, it seems just as plentiful as frog legs....and yes, I have eaten them.

Btw....there's an albino squirrel in our neighbourhood if you're looking for something other than a black or gray one.

Guest canada

The tails the best part.........good for fly tying eg: Mepps spinners all use squirrel tail to dress up there spinners. If my buddy is fishing Port D you can tell some days all the road kill squirrels are tail less :worthy::worthy:

Sticky, I'd never hunt something unless I was willing to eat it. The meat looked very good. I'll try one before I take my limit. This one went in the freezer for wild game night because I didn't have time to prepare it right away but I'll take one more this afternoon and try it for ya. No fear of rabies.

DSCF5835.jpg

Yes the tail looks good but I want to keep this one attached for the sake of having a pelt. If Dad ever used that vice I bought him a few years back I'd save the tails for him but he's more of a white bucket fisherman :worthy: . I'll have to get my own gear and give it a try. Afterall I do live right on the Niagara. :worthy:

Should modify that potatoe gun to fit green walnuts ... that way they just think you are trying to feed 'em. :Gonefishing:

Or try some "Squirrel Fishing"!

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Shot 4 of them last week up north only have the small red ones up there. Killed them with a single shot .177 wad cutter pellets fast little buggers and they don't stay still long. Good eating though friied them up in a cast iron pan with butter salt and pepper. Really tasty just very little meat.

You guts are nutty .....but maybe I can use your services ! Last year I "relocated " 13 plump squirrels from my back yard to a walnut infested tree area where they could eat proper food instead of eating my apples & destroying my big delicious apple tree . Neighbour next door has a big walnut tree which is loaded this year , but they still drop at least a doz. apples per day with only a few little bites taken from them or they just drop the apples and go to the next one ! I saw 6 squirrels at the same time in the backyard trees yesterday !!.These pigs are getting fat & I can't stop them from eating my apples except blast them with the hose & they take off like a rocket , but will come back a few hrs. later !

BTW......squirrel meat is great few stewing or making pie......just like rabbit ala\ walnut !

Archived