Return to Port D

Mike Pike

Nice to be back! My first return to the Port since spring after dreams of casting 1 1/4 ouce weights into the current to bounce( and snag )my way to some trout, hopefully.

Anyhoo, a nice morning with the salmon jumping but not much being caught.

I bested a rainbow, which Wally netted for me and that was it for the East side. I believe there was a Chinny caught on the other side.

Nice to run into a few regulars. Novak dropped by and so did ol' Harry to show off his new ride. Noticed a few of the guys on the other side but, as I said, I didn't see anything being caught.

With winter on the way, it's nice to have the Port to keep the soft water fishing going 12 months of the year. See y'all out there!

Nice to be back!

Nice to run into a few regulars. Novak dropped by and so did ol' Harry to show off his new ride. Noticed a few of the guys on the other side but, as I said, I didn't see anything being caught.

You obviously missed the rod-bending action of the 4 inch gobie that I brought in near noon on the other side. :lol:

It was a fierce battle that lasted about 8 seconds with 30ft of line out.

My buddy the mink had a nice snack. ;)

See you down there soon.

Hah hah hah! Good one Fishstick! Yup, definately missed that titanic struggle. Good work on bringing that beast in.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching those big ol' Chinny's clearing the water with their jumps. Sure makes it more interesting when you're not catching much!

Cheers!

Nice going on the bow Mike....hope you get some good fishing again this fall & winter ! Nice to see Wally M. is back at it .He's an old (did I say old ?) school buddy from waaaay back when........ :lol: I fished with Wally for bass while the 12 was low for the regatta.......good times !

BTW I was the net man for Fishstick's big gobie........lucky for him I saved the day for his prized catch....... ;)

Ya, Wally's one of the guys who is always ready to help out there and offer up a tip or two. Always enjoy running into him and I can see why he'd be a good friend, Smerch.

And it a good thing you got to the net in time for Fishstick. Just wondering how it didn't fall through though! lol

What's up with the fish at Port D. They won't take anything. No one caught anything!

We were there monday for 5 hours, and left around 7:00pm. We seemed to have found a honey hole, I witness so many fish surface every ten minutes, both Salmon and trout, yet they won't take all kind of lures including Glow lures even after it got dark. They were coming up the surface and attacking the minnows just in front of us.

The only thing we have not use was Dynamite.

Salmon are often like Bass or walleye. One, they do get negatively conditioned to traditional baits that everyone uses and two, they do become size orientated. This means use somthing other that the people around you are using. Most guys at Port D use the mainstay type spoons like Cleos, Crocs, Pete's, williams wabblers, Len Thompsons and Cyclops. For stickbaits its J13 and Rebel Fast Tracks and Canadian wigglers. These lures can all work BUT I have found that I do a lot better with Yozuri Hardcores, Lucky Craft Staysee's, Pointers, slender Pointers, Jackel Squad Minnows, and Evergreen M Inspire Minnows. The reason I believe they work is their smaller size, far supperior realistic appearance, their enhanced casting dynamics for much longer casts and their cost. That's right, their cost. For some reason many anglers who will pay $20 for a lure to catch Bass will not spend the same cash to catch a Salmon or Steelhead. I don't get it myself but I see it constantly. For the cheapies out there it's possible to get cheap lures that the vast majority of the guys around you won't use or even have and they work as well and in one case even better than the high price Japanese lures. Examples of cheap lures that work are Bass Pro Shops Nitro Minnows in the 31/4" and 4" versions, Reef Runners, Bass Pro shops Balsa Boogies, Storm Mag Wiggle Warts and Bass Pro shops Professional Series Minnows (used to be Bassmasters and they are Lucky Craft quality lures for about half the price). Also dig into the tackle box and break out some of the really old stuff too. Try Tadpolies, Benos, Hot N Tots etc. How about piss off lures like Lymans and J Plugs. At night lighted Kwikfish. How about swimbaits like Money minnows, Bass magnets or Storm Suspending swimbaits (which have worked well for me when the salmon are sharking on the surface). If there are fish present they can be caught. Try somthing that no one is using and you might be the one guy to get them. Snidley

Guest canada
What's up with the fish at Port D. They won't take anything. No one caught anything!

We were there monday for 5 hours, and left around 7:00pm. We seemed to have found a honey hole, I witness so many fish surface every ten minutes, both Salmon and trout, yet they won't take all kind of lures including Glow lures even after it got dark. They were coming up the surface and attacking the minnows just in front of us.

The only thing we have not use was Dynamite.

Slow down your retrieve and you'll connect more.......I see lots of guys chucking and cranking way to fast, they are not attacking the minnows there scaring them, you should see the minnows jump at night when I drag a glow soon through :lol: I've been hitting 2 or 3 fish everytime out and missing lots but you got to go slow ;):)

Oh ya I'm doing good on the cheap lures aswell, seems to be alot of frugal chinnock around this year they like chewing on the low end baits :)

I am a decent angler when it comes to shore fishing for Salmon and trout, normally knows how to work with spoon, spinners, and grubs, cleos, kwickfish, rattlers, crank baits , fish port D, whirlpool and Niagara river. I even tweak my lures and added glow powder on them. I always apply slow retrieve when fishing for any species.

I assume when the fish are coming up the surface, fishing are active and more chance of catching them, I was wrong and it was not the case last monday.

The fish seemed to be telling us "CATCH ME IF YOU CAN!" We did not have a BB gun to respond to the fish action!

We saw one fellow caught a bow with fresh roe close to shore, and it was the only bait we have not used so far.

Watched my bud Bowen smoke a sweet chinny today on skien under a float :blush::D

He's been working undercover at Peters Tackle ....getting the inside scoop on the whats, where's & how to ! I'll have to keep him company with my float rod & big minnows .....but not too close ....those minnies will eat his skien....... :P

Archived