The one that got away....

fishstick

:dunno:

Went fishing this morning for perch. Smerch, IBC and Bowen showed up also. A few caught here and there, had a few hot dogs, but it was slow. Casting out, I then laid my rod down on my chair, turned for a second and started to see my rod and the chair move towards the water.... :lol:

Holy crap!!! Grabbed the rod and the fight was on. Just as Bowen was about to net it, the hook was spit out and away it went.

Bowen said that it looked to be a healthy smallmouth in the 4+lb range.

:P Note to self....never, ever lay the rod down again dummy. You never know what's going to hit it.

Beautiful day all in all.

hey hey hey dont go an judge putting your rod down and waiting just dont go wonderin off now i always do that and thats how i land my big ones

Nice talking with you TPH ......Sometimes I just ask if you guys are a member of this board & that gets a good conversation going ! The bite was real slow today ,very warm .... I fished with a 3 way worm harness set up & got one scrawny rock bass . A few kings were breaking water & then Fishstick tied into a nice bass . Keep your eyes on the board when we get back to normal fall temperatures & I hope to see good fishing .

Just like posters say FJ....you gotta find the spots, and keep them to yourself. No spot really, just happened to luck out on a hungry and fiesty smallmouth. If I post it, then 5,000 surfers know the spot too. Even if I PM'd it, word travels fast. Sorry.

Caught me off guard. I think I was more surprised by the hit than anything else. Thought I had a carp at first.

Not much you can do with a cheap 5ft perchin' rod and 6lb test when something decides to take off in all directions like a jet fueled funny car.

Totally unexpected. Now I know what the bass guys/gals mean when they talk about having a good size smallie on the end of your line.

Hang on for the ride.... :worthy:

Just would have liked to get a pic of it. Definitely an adrenaline rush, shame the shock took over first!

That was a wicked 15 seconds. :)

:worthy: That's funny even though I'm sure at the time it wasn't.. :) That's the golden rule of pier fishing, unless yer sitting in a chair with the rod beside you, never leave rod unattended because all it takes is 2 seconds and its on the way to Toronto lmao. I remember one time I forget where now, some poor sap had his expensive rod go for a ride across the lake when he put it down, and some salmon/trout came by and took everything.

The look on the guy's face was priceless ;)

Archived